Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Help with my truly awful pictures please………….
  • FFJA
    Free Member

Well..tried to take a few half decent shot swith my new camera,(Fuji S1730) and pretty much everything came out similar to this beauty… 🙁
    I think i had it in the Sport mode to try to get focus on the rider. Can anyone tell me/help me with what im doing wrong? Help very much appreciated i’m all frustrated!

A bigger pic might help, and do you need sport mode from that distance/with that level of mincing?

Not that I’ll actually be able to help, as I know bugger all about photography

GaVgAs
    Free Member

I might be wrong but i had a simelar problem that turned out to be a slightly damaged sd card..

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FFJA
    Free Member

Hmm i suspect it isn’t the sd card as indoor ones, odd one or two outside seem fine, im just unsure why its been over exposing the majority if stuff, almost to the point where some look like film negatives almost…

Pieface

Try it in a ‘normal’ mode

What is the dial on the top pointing to? is it pointing to an icon of a green camera or A, M or something?

Keva
    Free Member

is that the negative, of a night shot ?

i really dunno, just guessing…

Kev

FFJA
    Free Member

I had it in SP mode on the little dial… More time playing needed i guess …

SP mode is Scene Position mode – you’ve probably just selected some odd faux filter mode within that setting…

Within the Scene Position mode (SP) you can access 15 pre-programmed scene modes which allow you to really get creative with your photography!

Looky here

samuri
    Free Member

Very hard to tell with such a small picture but it looks terribly over exposed to me. You’re way too far away from the subject for a start and 50% of the picture is sky, not always a bad thing but in this case I’d say it is. Get a lot closer, pre-focus before the shot but half pressing while pointing at the subject view, make sure there’s not a load of bright sky that you’re not interested in, in the shot.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I might be wrong but i had a simelar problem that turned out to be a slightly damaged sd card..

with respect, a damaged card would either work or not work, not affect the quality of the shots! But at that size it’s impossible to see what’s wrong, other than it looks overexposed…

Mintman
    Free Member

Did you focus on the shadow under the tree and then press the button when the rider came past?

It looks like perhaps the shadow is exposed alright but because that should be a darker than average part of the picture the rest is too light; overexposed.

Might also be settings where somehow you’ve got the shutter speed set so slowly that its letting too much light in.

If you’ve got the ISO set too high then it might not help either, especially if the shutter speed cant go fast enough to compensate.

Does your camera give a readout out of settings? ISO, Shutter Speed and F number would all be interesting to see.

crazy-legs

That’s some in-camera setting doing that. Either some daft “get creative” filter mode or you’ve massively screwed up ISO, exposure and white balance all in one fell swoop!

Sit down with the instruction manual when you’ve got a bit of time, go through the camera settings and try it out, each time looking at the results on the screen or downloading them to the computer.

My settings tend to stay within a certain range – ISO is usually about 200-640, I tend to set my White Balance to cloudy and just leave it there – shooting RAW means I can change it afterwards anyway. A lot of the time I’ll let the camera do the thinking, especially shooting pics while out riding. Only if I’ve got time to set up a shot will I start playing with Aperture Priority.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If you’ve got the ISO set too high then it might not help either, especially if the shutter speed cant go fast enough to compensate.

I’ve never noticed this – digital cameras can usually get sub millisecond shutter speeds

Only if I’ve got time to set up a shot will I start playing with Aperture Priority.

don’t say that James or you’ll be labelled clueless (like me)!

toab
    Free Member

I had a camera that turned any real sunlight into pink grainy streaks. Eventually turned out to a fault with the sensor and the shop replaced it on the warranty

FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. From looking throught the manual and talking to someone with the same camera, it seems like its because i was using the setting where it will take frames all the time the button is depressed. The setting to just take 3 frames is the way forward aparently….
    How should i have uploaded that as a full size from Flickr by the way?? 😳
    Thanks
    James

FFJA
    Free Member

The data for it btw was 1/160s f/4.2 ISO:64

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ISO 64 ????

FFJA
    Free Member

Erm yesss…I’m guessing thats not a good thing 😳

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

.I’m guessing thats not a good thing

well, the lower the ISO the better the quality till you reach the base sensitivity of the sensor – though it may be hard to see much difference – I shot everything at ISO 400 for 5 years before I noticed blue skies seem to render better at lower settings, but the higher the setting, the faster the shutter speed, which is better for capturing action and avoiding camera shake, until you run into the reducing quality of the recorded image.

FFJA
    Free Member

Thanks Simon, the light is almost exactly the same today so i’m going to go and retake the same shots a few times and see how i get on..

downgrade
    Free Member

How should i have uploaded that as a full size from Flickr by the way??

On the photo page go to “Share this > Grab the HTML/BBCode”, click the BBCode button, copy the text in the box and paste it here. You can choose the size as well.

Testing to see if I’m talking rubbish:

Superstar by Michael (ffcnimmo), on Flickr

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Help with my truly awful pictures please………….’ is closed to new replies.