Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Help with internet purchase/return
  • paulosoxo
    Free Member

Ok, so we bought a posh bathroom mirrod that needs wiring in to the mains. we bought it along with our bathroom furnityre, from the same online shop, spending around £3,500 with them

The mirror has stayed in the box for around 3 months, whilst our bulding work has took place.

Obviously from the post, when we’ve unpacked it, there’s a slit in the foam sheet across the glass, and a small scratch in the mirror. We’ve spoke to the suplier who have said that they can’t guarantee that they change it, however, they’ll speak with their suppliers.

We’re being nice at present, and allowing to do their thing. When they inevitably come back and say we should have checked the contents on reciept, what, if any distance selling laws do I have in my favour?

Cheers for the help

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

distance selling regs i think only gives you 7 days to reject the goods. Sale of goods act says they must be fit for purpose and does not give time limits.

Consumers direct website for advice

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Cheers TJ

trailmonkey

i work in internet retail.

i think fit for purpose would mean there’s no glass in the mirror etc.

as far as the retailer is concerned a scratch in the glass could have occurred at any time in the 3 months that you’ve had the mirror and you should have checked within the 7 days.

i don’t think that you have much chance really.

sorry.

scaredypants

I reckon you’re flying on goodwill alone there matey

good luck

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

scratched mirror is not fit for purpose. However because of the time elapsed your case is not strong.

I am unsure how a mirror gets scratched tho – glass is hard

forge197
    Free Member

Much time has passed I am all for good service and sellers doing what is right even if the legal position has to be pushed, but this one I think is going to have be goodwill based approach.

nealglover
    Free Member

Is the glass removable from the rest of the unit ?

Mirror glass is pretty cheap, you could always just get some cut to size and replace it ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m pretty certain that you’re right about the goodwill bit. Just didn’t know if there were any ways we could force their hand slightly. Let’s just hope that playing nice and being polite will work for us then!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think you would be in this area

Q4. I know I can demand my money back within a “reasonable time” but how long is that?

The law does not specify a precise time as it will vary for most sales contracts as all the factors need to be taken into account to be fair to all sides. The pair of everyday shoes may only have a few days before the period expires but a pair of skis, purchased in a Summer Sale, may be allowed a longer period by a court.

So you bought the product but stored it until you needed to fit it then discovered the fault. Its not the strongest case going tho

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/+/http://www.berr.gov.uk/whatwedo/consumers/fact-sheets/page38311.html#Q2DoIonlyhaverightsfor30orsomeotherfiguredaysafterpurchase

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’ll see what they come back with.

Anyone want to buy a mirror with a tiny scratch in it? 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Keep it! Every morning you look in the mirror and tell yourself that you are Pacino

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Well, a big Thank-You to Boundary Bathrooms, and the maufacturers of our Mirror, HiB for being good enough to replace it free of charge for us!

Good work ladies and gents!

Cougar

Great. Now what am I going to do with this pitchfork and these burning torches?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I’m sure there’ll be a use for them within the next 48 hours.

Saying that, our bed hasn’t turned up yet…………….

Jamie
    Free Member

I’m sure there’ll be a use for them within the next 48 hours.

48?

C’mon. This is STW.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

I was being generous. 🙂

trailmonkey

lucky,

you wouldn’t have got a refund out of me 😛

did they just agree to take it back and replace with no inspection ?

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Asked for photos, we sent photos. Photoing a scratch on a mirror is hard.

For what it’s worth, they’ve done the right thing

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Help with internet purchase/return’ is closed to new replies.