Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help with 44mm headsets / Nukeproof Mega
  • nickewen
    Free Member

So….

My mega frame is due to arrive this week and my RS lyriks are sat in the garage waiting, however I have yet to purchase a headset… The forks are 1.5″ steerer all the way up.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than the nukeproof warhead 44EE0S headset of what is going to be compatible with this setup? The nukeproof one is not cheap at £60 and gets some pretty bad reviews…

Also does anyone know what the letters ‘EEOS’ mean in the name?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

noidea
    Free Member

I have a Hope one fitted to my mega.

RustyMac

I have a Nukeproof 44IESS to allow taperd forks in my Iron horse Mk3 haven’t had any problems with it.

44=ID of Head tube headset will fit
    E= External Top cup
    E= External Bottom cups
    O= ?
    S= ?

Have you had a look at the hope technical document
    http://www.hopetech.com/webtop/modules/_repository/documents/HOPEHEADSETS2011Web.pdf
    for the full range of pick and mix headsets they do.

The SHIS number should be common through all manufacturers.

S.H.I.S. Top Cup / Bottom Cup: EC44/38.1 – EC44/40

ahwiles
    Free Member

avoid nukeproof headsets if at all possible, they’re utter carp.

kayak23

Also does anyone know what the letters ‘EEOS’ mean in the name?

First letter relates to the top cup, second to the bottom cup, third and fourth to the type of steerer.

EEOS is;
    External
    External
    Oversize Steerer(1.5″)

IETS;
    Internal
    External
    Tapered steerer

Nowt wrong with the Nukeproof headsets. I have an IESS (Internal, external straight-steerer) on my Mega and I’m still alive.

RustyMac

kayak23

That makes sense now, i must have an 44IETS in my bike, just looking at the pics on CRC gave me the 44IESS oops 😳

SS = standard steerer 1 1/8
    TS = Tapered 1.5 – 1 1/8
    OS = Oversize 1.5

lurchh
    Free Member

Cane Creek do the xx lower cup in 44mm 1.5″. Probably way more expensive than NP though. I’ve had one of my bearings go and I got it replaced no problem. No problems with it so far…

boxxer7
    Free Member

Been running a nukeproof 44IESS for 12 months now and not had a problem with it, someone else I know runs a NP headset too and he’s had no problems either?

nickewen
    Free Member

Some interesting stuff here. Thanks for the info all. I’m gonna have a look at this Hope pick n mix malarky and if that’s no good go for the NP one.

Thanks

brant
    Free Member

I invented that headset naming standard. Makes sense to me 🙂

Deveron53
    Free Member

And while you’re at it, get the deep cup version, just cos you can on a Mega. JE James should still have some left! Nukeproof don’t seem to do them any more.

So that’s: 44EEOS DC

Welcome to the world of cheap, quality stems. I had 4 of them in 1.5″

kayak23

Incidentally, the headset you get is determined by your fork length.

The Nukeproof website says regarding the Mega;
    Recommended Fork length – 160-180mm travel with Internal bottom cup 44IIss, 150-170mm with External bottom cup 44IETS, 44IESS or 44EE0S

I have 160mm Lyriks so got an internal top cup to keep my bars low and an external bottom cup in line with what recommended for that fork.

nickewen
    Free Member

Thanks again for all of the info everyone.

So Kayak – did you go for the Hope mix and match headset?

nickewen
    Free Member

Ignore the above ^^^ It’s getting late… Cheers

lornholio
    Free Member

Sorry to drag up an old post, but better than making a whole new one, eh?

I need a headset to fit a 160mm tapered fork to a 2012 Mega. Options look like the Nukeproof 44IETS (which has very mixed reviews), or a little extra for Hope Pick ‘n Mix. So I’d just like to check these would be the right Hope cups to go for before ordering:

Top: Type 2 (SHIS ZS44/28.6)
    Bottom: Type H – (SHIS EC44/40)
    Full spec & PDF link: http://www.hopetech.com/page.aspx?itemid=SPG240&tab=description

Also, there is no mention of an included top cap/bolt/starnut – I assume I would need to order these separately?

Looks like this Superstar one would be another cheaper alternative. Opinions? http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=539

Cheers.

RustyMac

You are spot on with the Hope cups 2, H. I have a hope headset sat in a box at home for when the NP one fails. So far the NP one is fine but the Hope definately look like it is better sealed than the NP one.

I can not remember if the hope bits came with a top cap or not, I think not but can’t be certain.

I have no experiance with the superstar one.

lornholio
    Free Member

Thanks for the confirmation Rusty. Pretty sure I’ll go for the Hope cups.

Could anyone confirm if the top cup comes with a top cap and/or star nut & bolt?

noidea
    Free Member

No they don’t come with a top cap or star nut and bolt.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help with 44mm headsets / Nukeproof Mega’ is closed to new replies.