Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • HELP! Stuck Maxle – any ideas?
  • velocipede
    Free Member

Just tried to remove my front wheel – 20mm Maxle on a RS Rev.

It untightens, on the opposite side (if you see what I mean) but just forces the forks wider and doesn’t actually come out…..can’t figure it at all – any ideas???

And before anyone asks – yes, it has been in/out before ok!

sambob
    Free Member

Hammer.

velocipede
    Free Member

yes, but applied where and with what??
    😀

mountainlight
    Free Member

Same problem – caused (in my case) by corrosion. Loosen off until the point the forks start to widen, then put a wooden dowel up the inside of the maxle and gently tap it. Should pop out. Bit of copperease before reassembly.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Is the bolt on the brake side loose? On mine if its too tight it wont come out even after the maxle has been been unscrewed.

Hammer from the brake side, rubber mallet or put a bit of wood there.

mike_check
    Free Member

Don’t hit it yet!

I reckon it’s likely the plastic wedge thing not retracting when it’s loosened.

Remove the nut off the skewer that runs through the middle and give the quick-release handle a knock, this normally pops it out, if not pull the skewer out a little and push it in at an angle so it doesn’t come through the other side, then give it a knock, this will knock the wedge loose and it should slide out easily!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

sometimes they seize on the sleeve thru the centre of the hub – thats what this sounds like so will need knocking out – once eveything is loosened right off

Taff
    Free Member

What TJ said from my experiences. Wire wool polish and coopper slip upon reassembly

velocipede
    Free Member

Thanks guys – just got it out – it was indeed corrosion on the central sleeve through the hub – surprising amount of water and crud in there when you consider it’s pretty much a closed system when it’s all tightened up – plenty of grease will be applied from now on, along with regular removal and cleaning!

Thanks again!

😀

patriotpro
    Free Member

Maxles are really good but def deserves (and needs ime) a quick once over now and again.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Stuck Maxle – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.