Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Help! One for the women – small cx bikes?
  • dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

A few months ago I bought a Kinesis Decade Tripster for cx, touring and winter road riding, but i’ve now decided it is too big for me and its causing me huge amounts of back pain. :cry:I’m relucant to use my nice road bike again this winter, plus it doesn’t have clearance for studded tyres, so i’m after a replacement…

I’ve asked for a quote on a custom frame, but thought i’d see if any of you ride any small cx bikes that might have passed me by during the initial research. The tripster was bought because it seemed to be one of the smallest bikes out there that would fit me (i’m just over 5’2″) and meet my requirements (ie disc brakes, mounts for full mudguards and pannier rack, drop bars, plus ability to fit 35m cx tyres in addition to 23 road ones)

Any suggestions would be welcome. Moon on a stick? 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Giant do a WS cx bike but it’s more race orientated so probably won’t suit your needs.

A female team mate rides one and she said the fit if so much better than a small standard frame which she usually used to have.

Clicky

Sue_W
    Free Member

I’m 5′ and ride a tricross as my cx / tourer / winter road / commuter bike. Has everything you’ve listed, including pannier rack mounts, but not disc brakes. Have run it with 32c “off road” tyres and 25c road ones (not sure if the wheels would take 23?) TBH I’ve found it ok without disc brakes – only time I’ve struggled to stop in a hurry was on a ridiculously steep descent in Snowdonia with fully laden panniers.

Not sure where you’re based, but if you wanted to try mine for fit etc, you’re more than welcome

druidh
    Free Member

Marin Toscana/Lombard is 11mm shorter in the TT, but of course you won’t consider it because it’s a Marin 🙄

qwerty
    Free Member

Graham Weigh Cycles usually have some weenie frames on ebay, this one is a 50cm with a 52top tube http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Graham-Weigh-50cm-Cyclocross-Frame-Forks-Headset-/130599377721?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item1e68545b39

Kona have smaller frames but with a longer top tube (my JakeTheSnake is a 49cm with a 53cm top tube – i think they do a 47cm but dunno if its in the UK)

IslaBikes might sell you a Luath frame or you could buy a whole bike (failing that i’d bet she’ll point you in the right direction)

If all else fails try some growth hormone

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I should also mention that I’m ideally just after a frame, as i built the tripster to spec and will transfer the bits over from it.

Thanks Sue – i’m in scotland so trying it not an option. Discs are a must have…lots of bikes discounted were during the initial research as i’m not willing to compromise on that.

Druidh 😛 i’ll go custom over marin! I’ve just got a quote back from shand too. Looks like i’ll be on my trek for our next night ride.

DuggieStyle
    Free Member

Kinesis do a 48cm pro 6, which is small 🙂

Pro 6 geometry

flowerpower
    Free Member

+1 for the Marin Lombard for size. It has a very short TT and the disc brakes are great (as I use it alot on estate tracks etc when going off road would do too much damage to the waterlogged trails).

But it is also quite heavy… and a Marin 😳

BTW – Am also Scotland based if you did want to try it (I realise that pigs are more likely to fly – but its an offer 😆 ) – I have a 52cm frame.

monksie
    Free Member

My wife (a smidge over 5′ tall) has the XS Giant ‘cross bike. Immaculate condition, 105 group, Kenda SB8 tyres etc. that she is going to sell any day now. She has the seatpost well down and the stem set with a + rise. If it was any bigger/longer, it’d be too big. £400 if anybody’s interested.

mustard
    Free Member

The Pro Six Disc does look like an option, although I’m a little dissapointed with Kinesis at the moment…

Custom Shand is only twice (and the rest) the price 😈

qwerty
    Free Member

discs

whadda bout the Salsa range ❓ that Charlie Monger bloke knows about them.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I’ve just built a Surly Cross Check, but whilst looking for alternatives, I saw this brand. They’re called Soma and do a frame called the Double Cross DC which looks like it comes in a very small size

Double Cross DC (Retired)

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Qwerty, the salsa vaya was on my shortlist (well bike number two of two). I opted for the tripster over the vaya because the small sizes come with 26″ wheels and I want 700c.

Currently custom build is the front runner! 8)

mocha
    Free Member

Yup, Soma Double Cross – sort of like a CrossCheck with discs :o)
    (Give us a ring at the shop if you need any info – cheeky plug, sorry :oops:)

juan
    Free Member

KONA? IIRC they do all their bike in a whole range of sizes. Plus don’t you have Edinburgh finest not very far?

Sheriff_Fatman

Soma Double Cross Disc? Seem to come in a wide range of sizes including smaller ones.
    http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/double-cross-dc
    Fine-ADC import soma frames and are Edinburgh based, James is a top bloke so should be able to give you more information. http://www.fine-adc.com/
    I’ve been thinking about getting myself one!

Sheriff_Fatman

Should have read the previous posts – two other recommendations for the Soma, must be popular!

druidh
    Free Member

dgoab – the smaller the frame, the more emphasised will be the toe-overlap issue you’ve already had. 26″ wheels might be the way to go!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Help! One for the women – small cx bikes?’ is closed to new replies.