Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • HELP! My shock bushing seems the wrong size
  • leggyblonde
    Free Member

I got my fox rp2 back from a service and the lower bushing was removed and a replacement sent back with the shock. However the mounting bolt doesn’t seem to fit through either bushing! I could mount the shock without a bush as there’s hardly any play but 1. That will mangle my shock in time 2. How on earth did it fit in the first place?! Any ideas? Thanks

julianwilson
    Free Member

Are you talking about the bushing itself (the little ‘lining’ in the eyelet at the end of the shock -they look like a little metal hula hoop crisp before you press them in, and are a standard size for fox bike shocks nowadays) or the mount? (machined metal bit that plugs into it and goes between the shock and the frame -often referred to as a bushing as people talk about ‘offset bushings’ when they really mean offset mount kit)
    could you post up a picture?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

It’s definitely the bushing. I’ll try and put up a pic

doncorleoni
    Free Member

The bushing (plastic hula hoop) is a press fit into the shock eyelet.

The mount can be a very tight fit in the bush. The plastic bushes wear and the mount becomes free. Hence why you can usually easily remove it by hand. You normally need to give the mount a good whack / use a vice / stud, bolt and washers, with a new bush. One side of the mount (or both) should be chamfered to aid installation.

Have a look here….

http://www.tftuned.com/tech-help/71-mount-kits-and-bushings-for-rear-shocks-a-guide

julianwilson
    Free Member

Its supposed to be quite hard to get the mount inside a brand new bushing -not necessarily doable by hand especially if its one that presses all the way through the bush rather than 2-part ‘top hat’ mounts.

I press mine in with gentle application of the vice.. It should feel hard to get in and feel like it will never rotate, but actually when its all nipped up tight in the frame, the mount will rotate just enough inside the new bushing rather than anything else rotating (and wearing out) that shouldn’t be.

leggyblonde
    Free Member

But the mount won’t fit through the bushing even before pressing the bushing into the shock

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Think we need pics 🙂

legend
    Free Member

TF Tuned by any chance? They make a point of sending you a bushing if they didn’t have to change one as it was still in good nick. I’d bet there’s already a bush in there!

leggyblonde
    Free Member

I can’t put pics up from my phone. And yeah TFT though there’s definitely no bush in the shock as they sent me back the old metal one

legend
    Free Member

They wouldn’t take yours out and send it back without replacing it, certainly not in my experience of using them for many years. The replacement is likely to be one of these rather than a metal one

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Yeah now you mention that…. They have done that with me a couple of times.

This pic shows the shock and the bushing. It’s pretty thin! May be metallic or may be plastic.

http://fcdn.mtbr.com/attachments/shocks-suspension/899867d1402327839-red-coating-bushing-area-fox-rear-shock-photofox.jpg

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Link to a pic here … https://twitter.com/philipglowinski/status/563821018310250496

Shock with no bush. Mounting bolt. Old bush. New bush.

legend
    Free Member

I stand corrected, defo no bush there. What bike is it? Not a Giant by any chance? Failing that, what are you using to insert the bush?

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Giant trance. How did you know?

vincienup
    Free Member

I thought all Fox bushings were 12.7mm?

I would agree after having ruined a set of poly bushings that it is 100% worth having the proper tool for the job. Hammer and sockets just makes a mess.

Katec sells a good one on eBay for a reasonable price with or without a bag of ten replacement bushings…

legend
    Free Member

leggyblonde – Member
    Giant trance. How did you know?

because Giant Anthems and I believe Trances (I had an Anthem myself) don’t have a lower shock bush, the axle just goes straight into the shock. No rotation, no need for a bush (scared the crap out of me when I first found it!)

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Ooooh, so I probably don’t need one?!

dudeofdoom

as julianwilson’s said …. it’s all pretty tight.

had this and the secrets a little ebay tool that pulls the bush in – they are tight then you should be able to get bolt through but it’s all pretty tight but ends up fine.

vincienup
    Free Member

From your picture, you seem to have an oe Fox metal DU type bushing and a standard aftermarket upgrade poly bushing. They don’t look same length or ID though, although OD looks similar.

If you held the poly bushing across the eyelet does it look like it will be short, long, or about right? Again I thought this was standard, but maybe Giant have a funny size arrangement with Fox?

Edit: issue solved while I was typing… 🙂

leggyblonde
    Free Member

Thanks all! I still don’t get why they sent me an old bush and a new one back when I didn’t need one but it all seems to be sitting nicely without

ART

Old bush will be the one that came out of the other end of the shock eyelet (TF always give you those parts back). You’ll have a new bush in that end & the other one is a spare.

deadkenny
    Free Member

No shock bushing. Hmm, okay. It’ll work, just it’s going to cost more with worn axle or shock eyelet 😉

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No shock bushing. Hmm, okay. It’ll work, just it’s going to cost more with worn axle or shock eyelet

Why?

It doesn’t move at that end of the shock.

legend
    Free Member

They’ve used this design since around 2009. Never heard of anyone having a problem

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘HELP! My shock bushing seems the wrong size’ is closed to new replies.