Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • HELP! Leaking Nespresso Machine – Possible to Repair?
  • Mac
    Free Member

Hi all,

Our Nespresso machine has started leaking water from its base during use. Has anyone experienced the same problem and do you know how to fix it/if it is fixable? This is the machine we have…

Thanks!

Mac
    Free Member

After speaking with Nespresso it appears that the most likely issue is that the machine needs de-scaled (perhaps not surprising after five years use). They have popped a descaling kit through the post and if that doesn’t work it looks like I’ll need to send it to them for repair.

binners

All Nespresso questions answered here

zilog6128

Depending on the model & water hardness they generally need descaling every 6-12 months. Reckon you’ve done good to get 5 years out of it!!

scotia
    Free Member

is the water hot or cold? Is the water clear?

where does the water pool – front or back?

Mac
    Free Member

We live in central Scotland and our water isn’t very hard (unlike some of the locals!) hence why its lasted soo long I guess.

Hi Scotia – give me five minutes while I go and flood the kitchen worksurface again.

scotia
    Free Member

ok, im just leaving for home so will see this later. it may well be an easy fix..

Mac
    Free Member

Hi Scotia,

Sorry for the delay – I had a good play about with it. So in summary…

The water is not coming out the bottom of it as I previously thought. Instead if you take out the capsule tray and look in (as shown in the picture below) it is coming out of there. The water is hot but clear. It fills up the spill tray before eventually overflowing onto the kitchen worksurface.

Any thoughts? (thats other than the machine needs a good clean!)

infidel
    Free Member

Mine did this. A thorough descaling did the trick.

scotia
    Free Member

Sorry for the delay…had a meeting that i had completely forgotten about. If it is hot and in that zone then there may well be a loose connection between the thermoblock and the extraction head (as the water is hot and clear it means that it has passed through the thermoblock but not yet into the capsule). I would doubt that a descale would do anything, but worth a first shot as it may be a buildup of pressure that is then causing a seal to blow (and with the normal pressure it would hold).

Perso, i’d want to take a look inside if it was me, but then i have the tools to get into it. Its not easy as u need an oval ‘key’ and declips-ing the cocque isnt that easy.

from afar (im in switzerland) its difficult to help i afraid..

try the descale 1st, then see.

sorry..

Mac
    Free Member

Please don’t be sorry, thats the best overview I’ve had so far so thank you (and everybody else) for your input.

I’ll try the descale then I’m going in. I found this excellent site and am now looking for a tool to get past the oval heads.

Best,

Douglas

scotia
    Free Member

ok, if you do manage to get the screws out and open the machine up..please be careful if you then plug it in to see it working..as it will be possible to touch live wires..

i forgot to ask – does the leak happen if you have the head open, no capsule in and put the machine on?

or is it only with capsule in, head closed and on?

if it the latter then it may well be just the build up of scale and also dirt/coffee/coffee grease

Mac
    Free Member

The leak only happens with a capsule in so hopefully the descale will do the trick and its only the extra pressure causing a seal to fail.

How do you know soo much Scotia? I’m tempted to believe you either work for the company that builds the machines or you are some sort of Nespresso God. I’m willing to believe either.

scotia
    Free Member

ha! ok, well that should fix it up then a descale and general clean.

we design the mechanics of the machines..

good luck!

beanum

I’m not sure you should take it apart. If they’ve sent you a descaling kit and that doesn’t fix it I’d call Nespresso first.
    They make money on the capsules. I think you’ll find that they’ll fix it or replace it for you for free as it’s in their interests for you to keep buying their capsules. If you send it back to them in bits that might not apply… 🙂

Mac
    Free Member

Hey Beanum,

Just for future knowledge I already checked that and if its warranty then obviously they replace it free, if not then its £59 to repair plus postage costs. They did send me a descaling kit for free which I thought was great so overall I’m very impressed by their customer service.

zilog6128

They make money on the capsules. I think you’ll find that they’ll fix it or replace it for you for free as it’s in their interests for you to keep buying their capsules. If you send it back to them in bits that might not apply…

If your machine is in warranty and they take it away to be fixed they’ll give you a courtesy machine in the meantime so you can keep spending money with them enjoying your morning coffee!

Mac
    Free Member

Hey all,

The descale did not do the trick so I went in. If you’ve ever wondered whats inside a Nespresso machine this should give you a good idea!

Essentially the source of the leak is coming from what looks like a little valve at the back of the mechanism which holds the capsule. I’ve tried to indicate it clearly in the following pictures. At this point I can’t work out why it would leaks and was wondering if anyone (Hi Scotia) could help me?

I initially thought it would be where the pipe which brings the water up to the upper mechanism joins that would be the source of the leak however I don’t believe this to be the case anymore. The valve is def where the water comes from. Does anyone know what the valve is there to do? Relieve excess pressure by letting water escape?

Any thoughts? As of now its probably heading for the bin unless anyone has some bright ideas. Shame.

scotia
    Free Member

hello!
    I’ll have to have a look at work tomorrow as i’ve not had one apart for a while (it being an old machine..).

When you say its deffo coming from this valve, have you run the machine whilst open? Be careful if you do, water & electricity dont mix well..!

i’ll be in touch.

Mac
    Free Member

Hey!

I’m pretty sure its coming from the valve (yup I have run the machine while it was open and it seemed to bubble out of this valve).

I’m wondering if its a pressur release valve and that it could be caused by a blocking/scaling causing there to be too much pressure (it leaks both when you have a capsule in and when you don’t) so I’m going to try descaling again.

Thanks for all your help!

scaled
    Free Member

if you do scrap the machine any chance i could snaffle the water reservoir?

I’ve got the same machine and mines cracked and leaking from that base.

Few beer tokens/postage ofc.

scotia
    Free Member

ok, that is the valve which lets you re-amorse the pump when its empty.. so in other words when the pump is empty, and you refill the tank then you put the lever all the way back (you’ll feel the spring give) it opens up the tube to get the water back in the pump quicker..

So, for your machine..

I would try to put the whole ‘head’ in anti scale stuff, with the lever attached and forced back to open this hole.. Be careful with the alu lever as the anit scale might attack this too..

if this doesnt un block sth, then the o-ring behind this little spring u see i think is gone. To replace it, you need to slide out the spindle and then slide the mechanism out…if i manage to do the same here i can tell you what type it is.

i’ll keep u updated when i have the time!

scotia
    Free Member

or you could rebuild the machine and send it to nesp?

scotia
    Free Member

not managed to get the spindle out yet.. not sure if ours is stuck or if there is a part blocking it. i’ll see if i can speak to the guy who was involved in the design.

there is one part that is a bit tricky, there is a screw in the spindle (in the centre) that takes up the slack in the system..it needs to be set correctly when retightened..

might be best to send it to nesp in the end – or if its cheaper replace it?

Sorry to have not found a solution..

scotia
    Free Member

ok, spindle out!

i’ll be back, got a meeting.. maybe this pm..

scotia
    Free Member

right, although i managed to get the inner extraction head out, im no closer to the seal. It is inside a molded plastic part, finished off with the metal prongs that pierce the capsule to inject the water.

sorry but thats as far as im getting with this one, i think either you send it to be repaired or get another one…

unless the descaling worked?

Mac
    Free Member

Thanks Scotia and sorry for the delay!

Will give these ideas a go and get back to you with feedback.

mrookyard
    Free Member

Hi Mac
    Did you ever get this resolved? I have a very similar problem with my machine which is now quite old (I think it is one of the original machines)but, other than leaking water into the drip tray, still works well. I have been in touch with Nespresso and they have suggested some things but as it is old, they are struggling a little. I strongly suspect if I send it to them for repair they will want to sell me a replacement as it is so old.
    Can you help?
    Thanks

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘HELP! Leaking Nespresso Machine – Possible to Repair?’ is closed to new replies.