Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Help choosing commuter – cx or winter road bike?
  • Clink

I know lots have been posted about this but narrowed choice down to a few and any advice appreciated.

Buying on county council cyclescheme so limited to shops locally. Commute 26 mile round trip couple of times a week, all weathers on country roads. Use rack and panniers for fairly heavy loads. Used Roadrat for last 3 years. Want something faster and useful for long training rides for mtb endurance.

Looking at either a cx bike or winter road bikes. LBS has a Giant cx bike for £750 or can get Kinesis Crosslight Five T bike or Racelight T2 bike for just under a grand. At the moment leaning towards the Racelight. Any thoughts?

dobo
    Free Member

the giant tcx ‘might’ not be the best for long training rides. it comes with a alu fork not carbon and the frame might be more suited for short cx races rather than long rides, no doubt somebody be along to say their tcx is more comfy than their steel bike though

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Don’t you already have a SS commuter? And are you spending your daughters China trip money!?

Clink

Don’t you already have a SS commuter? And are you spending your daughters China trip money!?

😆
    Yep – I want a geared bike for commuting and road training.

Bazz

CX bike!! my Genesis Vapour rocks, will do everything you need and more.

Merchant-Banker
    Free Member

What about the new cotic x ? if i can put flat bars on 1 im in..

Clink

What about the new cotic x ? if i can put flat bars on 1 im in..

No rack mounts..already drooled over it 🙁

Coleman
    Free Member

” no doubt somebody be along to say their tcx is more comfy than their steel bike though “

Not at all. The frames are stiff as a board with race geometry, although the entry level bike comes with an alloy fork and eyelets front and rear.
    I use mine as a race bike, but I once did a 100 mile road ride on it, fitted with slicks, and it was surprisingly comfy.

kelvin

Stick gears and a decent carbon fork on the Rat.

Oh, hang on, you want a complete bike for Cyclescheme reasons, so ignore that.

If you want to carry the loads, long distances, then I’m not sure you’re on the right track with CX bikes to be honest. Audax bikes may not be in fashion, but it sounds like that’s what you’re after. Something like the Racelight sounds a good bet. Or another Rat, but with gears and not the heavy steel fork.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sounds like you need a light road bike that takes mudguards and rack

cp

Unless you have any inclination to go off road, I’d go for the Racelight T – very nice bikes. Keep seeing them pop up in the peaks, quite fancy one.

Kuco

My CX mainly gets used on the road but it has got a carbon fork and ti frame but it is comfy. I like it as I’ve never liked the stretched out feel of road bikes.

grievoustim
    Free Member

If it was me I’d just stick gears on the roadrat, maybe some new wheels to speed things up bit, maybe some carbon forks

Clink

Cheers guys; definately steering towards teh Racelight. I’d consider a drop-bar Rat with carbon fork, but no dealer in Somerset.

Clink

If it was me I’d just stick gears on the roadrat, maybe some new wheels to speed things up bit, maybe some carbon forks

Can’t do that on bike-to-work though 😕

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Apologies for a slight hijack but what carbon forks fit / have folks tried on their roadrats?

tang
    Free Member

think cy is doing a fork for the ‘x’ which will work for the rat. def a good idea they are hogs those forks.

beargotsoul

Where in Somerset do you live? I got my Roadrat on the CTWS from Bike in Bristol, built it up as I wanted.

They also have another Bike shop in Tauton, Ralph Colman. Might be worth giving them a call.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Unless you intend to race/take it off-road, I’d give the cx bike a miss. I have one and love it but find the canti brakes terrifying at times. Gonna buy a road bike with proper calipers soon.

kelvin

Disc brakes are available Sponging-Machine, it’s 2010 now, not 1990.

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Not on any bikes I like, they’re not.

Clink

This is getting confusing! Some people saying road brakes better, other going for cantis. I might just toss a coin 🙂

HTTP404
    Free Member

Low profile cantis are a no no. The cx cantis like frogsleggs have longer arms offering far more leverage.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Help choosing commuter – cx or winter road bike?’ is closed to new replies.