Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • help a noob? – low stack headset woes with mmmbop
  • jamiep
    Free Member

Bought an mmmbop frame and am attempting my very first build as and when paydays allow. However, low stack height = fail.

Any suggestions much appreciated! I really cant afford another headset at the mo. I reckon I need 3mm – cut a spacer and bash it on?! Buy a cheapo FSA fat pig (CRC £32) despite it's sh1tness?!

😥

Simon

What headset is it you've got there?

jamiep
    Free Member

Superstar Components Grande Bambino reducer

brant
    Free Member

If you could file the gusset, without affecting the tube underneath, would it work?

spooky_b329

If money is tight, can you remove the adjusters on the fork until you get another headset?

Simon

I'm using a Hope step down on my Mmmbop with Pikes, the floodgate adjuster just tickles the gusset on the downtube.
    I've got a deeper lower cup that I could put in but I think I'll leave it as it is.

My mate had the same problem as you, (don't know what headset) he just filed a bit off the gusset.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

set the rebound and remove the dial

Chase
    Free Member

My mate had the same problem as you, (don't know what headset) he just filed a bit off the gusset.

Indeed I did. My headset was an FSA Orbit Z 1.5 reducer – this one…
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10125

The floodgate adjuster on my Pikes caught in exactly the same place. I just filed a bit of the gusset away. No big deal really although it does feel a little wrong on a new frame. Just make sure you protect the rest of the downtube with something in case you slip.

jamiep
    Free Member

Thanks for all the speedy replies. Much appreciated

@RSE It juuust catches on the tube too. Im not too keen on filing – kinda feels wrong!

I guess a new headset is required. Any suggestions for the cheapest out there? Sorry, Im totally new to all this. Im a snowboarder who's branching out beyond just commuting

titusrider
    Free Member

in exactly the same place as your last photo with a previous bike and ran it for years with the rebound adjuster off and filled down the lockout adjuster

Chase
    Free Member

Yeah, DON'T file the tube!

supinerider
    Free Member

I have a BNIB Hope Stepdown headset that would do the trick. email in profile if you're interested.

IA

I'd just file the adjuster down a bit. Or take that off too.

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Am I missing the point in which this is an issue?

Unless you are doing bar spins, surely just being careful is OK and maybe a thick bit of helicopter tape on the point it touches just in case you come off and it trys to spin around.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘help a noob? – low stack headset woes with mmmbop’ is closed to new replies.