Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • helmet sweat busters – anything better that a Buff ?
  • iainc

I wear prescription glasses and get frustrated by sweat dripping down them from helmet brow pads. Happens with all my helmets in most conditions. I almost always wear a Buff to minimise this, and it works okish at soaking up the sweat. Has anyone come up with a better solution ? Don’t really want an ear covering warm hat.

jam-bo

montaro? 😉

scotroutes

Buff works reasonably well for me Iain. To aid wicking, wear it as a single layer with the long end down the back of your neck. That seems to draw sweat away better than having it doubled up under your helmet.

There’s also this;

https://www.sweatgutr.com/sports/

reggiegasket
    Free Member

perchypanther
    Free Member

Have you tried lying flat on your back in the car park?

That way all the sweat will run down the back of your neck instead….. 😉

survivor

I use one of these as my eyebrows seem to be broken and don’t stop sweat getting in my eyes.

http://www.headsweats.com/skullcap-white/

I got a black one years ago. It’s very light weight but does the job both in summer to stop the blinding sweat and in winter to keep the chill off my baldy nut.

😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Jam bo – Member
    montaro?

I have to admit, that did raise a smirk.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Has anyone ever tried a sweatgutr?

globalti
    Free Member

I use a buff summer and winter, it’s the ideal head covering.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

http://www.haloheadbanduk.com/

and there is also a thing called a sweat gutr.

https://www.sweatgutr.com/

HAvent used either though.

iainc

I have to admit, that did raise a smirk.

me too 🙂

along with PP and the car park one !

perchypanther
    Free Member

along with PP and the car park one !

You knew it was coming though!

I too suffer from the same baldy / specky combo and i just use either a buff or contact lenses.

zilog6128

Merino buff better than a regular one, if only cos they stink less! Possibly absorb more though.

iainc

You knew it was coming though!

I knew the Montaro one was coming 🙂 … Wasn’t sure if the stalkers were online to get my car park fumbles on though 🙂

scotroutes

Merino Buffs are longer than the standard ones so I guess there’s more “sponge” effect. IME they retain moisture more though so I’m not convinced it would work well for a longer ride.

The alternative is that the OP simply accepts he’s just got a year older and stops chasing the young whippets.

(Belated Happy Birthday Iain)

aP
    Free Member

Whilst not being “hair challenged” I wear prescription glasses and suffer with “the drip”. I tend to wear either a bandana (for cold to warm weather) or a headband (hot weather). I find that a buff has too much material and prefer something with less “heft”.

iainc

scotroutes – Member
    Merino Buffs are longer than the standard ones so I guess there’s more “sponge” effect. IME they retain moisture more though so I’m not convinced it would work well for a longer ride.

The alternative is that the OP simply accepts he’s just got a year older and stops chasing the young whippets.

(Belated Happy Birthday Iain)

^^^^ aye, was proper gubbed on the Wed night Mugdock ride yesterday 🙂

cheers for the birthday wishes !

benp1

I used to use a Halo, it was excellent, but I lost it at work a while ago

That would work pretty well – headband, ear warmer and beanie versions available too

IHN

I use a buff summer and winter, it’s the ideal head covering.

This, I have four, although only one is an ‘actual’ Buff (which I got as a freebie), which is a hot-weather specific one.

The others are Generic Tubular Polyester Multi Purpose Head Coverings, one of which was a freebie and one was about £3 from Mountain Warehouse.

I’ve cut one into two halves, leaving two smaller ones to be worn single-layer under a lid (ears exposed on warmer days, over the ears on cooler days) or as a headband on the rollers. The remaining original length one is used doubled-up under a lid/over the ears on VERY cold days or as a neck/chin warmer.

So, in answer to the original question: Yes, a Generic Tubular Polyester Multi Purpose Head Covering 🙂

deadkenny
    Free Member

Grow hair longer / get hair implants / wig 😀

sundaywobbler

Halo headband for me. They work much better than just a buff, the bandana one if, like me, you’re a real sweaty mess. I’ve got 5 of the things in various guises/colours.

CraigW
    Free Member

Buff UV Headband is thinner material than a regular Buff, good for warmer weather

honourablegeorge

My old Urge AM helmet has a “gangsta pad” liner that made up for the unfortunate name by absorbing loads of sweat. you could literalyl squeeze it out like a sponge at the top of a hill. Works very well.

nedrapier

Surprised no-one’s mentioned Bodyform?

Pick the one that suits your flow.

pictonroad

I’ve used a gutr, it works but you look like a total buffoon. This may or may not matter to you.

iainc

cheers for all the replies. Will stick with Buff but may try and get one of those halo ones also.

lovewookie

Has anyone ever tried a sweatgutr?

bit late, but, yes I’ve had a sweat gutr for what seems like an eternity. Probably around 12 or so years maybe longer.

After not being able to find a sweat band thin enough to fit well between my helmet and my head I thought I’d invest and bought one from the US.
    it’s odd, but routes sweat down your temples. pretty effective at keeping it out of your eyes and I’ve not had the requirement to change it in that many years.

soulwood
    Free Member

Sweathawg. Direct from the US, I’ve tried all the above and while they worked okay, the sweathawg is the one that is worth stumping up for the shipping and tax when in arrives in the U.K. Today my ride lasted one and a half hours before sweat dripped into my glasses. I’m 6ft 3 with a number 1 cut due to balding, and the sweathawg is one of the best bits of kit I ever bought.

brennak

I had same problem with Bell sb2 helmet changed to a Montaro and have had no issues since, I did however with the Bell have some success with an icebreaker merino cap but was a bit warm for summer.

jruk
    Free Member

I’ve got a proper Buff and it’s better than the generic ones I’ve got. Don’t know why, it just is.

But check changing helmet brands (661 > Giro) made a bigger difference as I now have a closer fit all around so there’s less room for the sweat to build up and get dumped all over my glasses just as I go off a drop.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If the Buff works fine then why look for an alternative? I use a Buff all year round. Keeps my head warm in winter and cool in summer and manages sweat well and prevents your helmet from smelling. Not sure it has any downsides or disadvantages really – certainly not any that any other alternative solution solves.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Aldi merino beanie is working for me, but I’ve not been sweating buckets on my rides this year, despite the amount of climbing I’m getting addicted to and how much I am generally pushing myself. I’m much happier doing exercise in this cooler weather, it’s the heat and humidity in a decent summer that gets me.

Andy-R

n0b0dy0ftheg0at – Member
    it’s the heat and humidity in a decent summer that gets me.

Well, you must be ok most of the time then, because I can’t remember when we last had a hot summer (if ever).

I use a buff with an IXS RS Trail in temperatures up to forty degrees and with a fair amount of climbing. Seems to work for me.

JoeG
    Free Member

Halo is the best that I’ve found.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Montaro even with delaminating pads its still the only helmet keep the sweat out of your eyes, it really does work

For me to buy a new set of pads every month would be worth it to stop the sweat in my eyes thro summer

That said the replacement pads from giro are holding up better, yes slightly delaminated on some of the edge but not like the original set and still havent got any worse 2 months on

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Montaro even with delaminating pads its still the only helmet keep the sweat out of your eyes, it really does work

Not quite, bluegrass goldeneye does the job, without the pad clusterguck that Giro provide….

iainc

I loved the Montaro, both of them and the half dozen or so sets of pads…..

Having used my Tectal for 3 rides, I prefer it, though sweat retention is not as good a second the Giro sponge.

nickmallabar
    Free Member

I’ve tried most solutions Gutr etc and after years settled on a Halo cap with the mesh top. I run hot with little hair and prescription glasses (I am a real looker) and this works well Summer and Winter often for a whole ride with no drip. Current one has lasted 2 years, with loads of use, Diane’s and wring after each ride.

iainc

nick – have you got a link to that one ?

cheers

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘helmet sweat busters – anything better that a Buff ?’ is closed to new replies.