Home Forums Bike Forum Helmet light with gopro mount.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Helmet light with gopro mount.
  • gavstorie
    Free Member

Are there any small lights available that fit onto gopro mounts?

I’ve been messing around with a solarstorm x2 and various different ways of getting them to mate together.. Just wondered if there are any commercial versions available.

piesoup
    Free Member

I have a 3D printer and I print go pro mounts for my lights…

gavstorie
    Free Member

how strong are the mounts that come out of a 3d printer?

piesoup
    Free Member

I guarantee you wont be able to break it through normal use. You will most probably snap the screw holding it to the light before the mount gives way.
    Is that your setup in the picture?

gavstorie
    Free Member

Thats an early attempt.. i have a couple of different alloy adaptors ordered to see which one works the best.. They are going to need the light to be drilled and tapped so that should be interesting

piesoup
    Free Member

Oh, how does the mount attach to the light at the moment? Let me know how you get on, I can send you a printed mount to try.

Northwind

I’ve never seen a commercial one but it’s easy to adapt a standard gopro mount. I decided to go as low profile as possible so just got a gopro “foot” and removed all but the bit that slots into the sticky “shoe”, then added a little wedge (made out of a clothespeg, bodge fans) and bolted teh light directly to that. No adjustability but that’s OK, and keeping the light really low means it doesn’t pull the helmet around as much

sillyoldman

SP POV Light is exactly what you describe. It’s designed for diving with a GoPro (so is waterproof), and can have a GoPro mounted on top, so that the light sits in between the mount and the GoPro. Runs on GoPro sized batteries too, so easy to source spares to boost runtime.

munrobiker
    Free Member

My Tiny Sun are about to launch one I believe- it’s in the latest MBR.

hot_fiat

Lupine do a gopro mount for the Wilma that bolts straight to the bottom of my MTB Batteries Lumenator (the plate is 20mmx30mm with a hole for the m4 screw 8mm from one end). Works great.

bentudder

This looks like a cracking product idea. I don’t own a GoPro, but I’d quite likely buy the mounts to use with my Solarstorms if they offered more security than the lashups I use at the mo.
    A particular problem I see is helmet mounts that are too clunky, not stable enough or a combination of the two.

piesoup
    Free Member

bent udder – Member

This looks like a cracking product idea. I don’t own a GoPro, but I’d quite likely buy the mounts to use with my Solarstorms if they offered more security than the lashups I use at the mo.
    A particular problem I see is helmet mounts that are too clunky, not stable enough or a combination of the two.

I can make them very low profile. The base of my light is at the same hight as the helmet mount. And I make them so the light is fully adjustable in all planes. I suppose I could buy a solarstorm and make up some custom mounts if there is enough interest.

gavstorie
    Free Member

This is how mine is mounted at the moment.. I have a mount coming that is very similar to the lupine one so i will give that a try. The lupine one would probably work fine with the solarstorm x2.. it looks about the right size..

Piesoup.. the dimensions of the flat part of the solarstorm are 41.71mm x 20.41mm. The screwhole is centered 13.10mm in from one edge along the 41.71mm axis. This is to the rear of the light. The twin prong gopro mount would fit in front of that

STATO
    Free Member

Racewaredirect do mounts to fit exposure joysticks to gopro mounts.

GolfChick
    Free Member

I believe glow worm x2 are releasing a gopro mount for their lights, or so the OH tells me!

SOAP
    Free Member

Here’s my effort with a bit of sugru,this is the mk2 now with bolt. Mk3 will have a Ti bolt.

1/4 turn gopro mount from eBay £4

piesoup
    Free Member

My mounts make the light sit a lot lower. It sits in front of the mount, so the cable and switch will be either side of the go pro clamp. A lot less chance of snagging.
    Haven’t got any pics with me at work but can take a few tonight.

Gav, are these dims correct? Can you give me the centers of the switch and cable exit, and how far the switch sits proud please. Then I know how long I need to make the part.

Ahh, picture not working…

hot_fiat

piesoup
    Free Member

Thanks hot_fiat!!

artsho
    Free Member
    piesoup
    Free Member

Here is my light and mount. Mounts can be made into any config to suit your light.

Forgive me, I’m on an iPhone and can’t seem to get the img to work!

Edit: It worked!

bentudder

Wow – looks spot on! Reckon you could do one to fit Solarstorms, and if so, how much would you do ’em for? We have a printer at work – not sure if its guardian would let me tinker with it, though… :(

piesoup
    Free Member

Yes I can. Just confirm the dims I asked a few posts up and I can print one or two for ya. It will be white though as thats the only colour I have at the mo

bentudder

That’d be smashing. Trade for Haribo?
    Will measure the bottom of the X2 tomorrow. possibly not as accurately as above, mind.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Piesoup –

I’d be interested in one too if you are doing a run? I’m using a bell super helmet with the gopro mount on my SSX2.

Happy to bung a few quid your way or donate here (or to a charity of your choice)

Andy

gavstorie
    Free Member

Piesoup.. The only issue with that mount is that if your gopro mount is to the rear of the helmet you may not have enough downward angle to get the beam where it needs to be. If it sat slightly higher you would have more option..

gavstorie
    Free Member

gavstorie
    Free Member

the mount i used is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GoPro-style-ridecam-Adapter-Mount-/141430382842?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item20ede860fa

If someone was to make a similar mount with the 2 prongs rather than 3 it would be much simpler. I just had to find a longer screw to hold it all together. It would probably have been easier to just remove the third prong that has the treaded section so that it worked with a standard length bolt…

piesoup
    Free Member

The dims dont have to be very accurate, just so the button and cable don’t
    foul with the mount.
    Gav, you can flip the mount to get the light to shine lower.
    The beauty of a 3d printer, is anything is possible. If your mount sits more to the rear of the helmet, I can make the mount to suit. My light sits right in the centre of my lid, less stress on my neck.

How about I make a few different ones for you guys to try? All I ask is that the postage is covered? Funds are tight at the mo!

What size bolts are used on the solar storm? I’ll need to know for the hole. Or would you rather I not drill a hole, then you can get the light in the perfect position to suit you.

spooky_b329

I’ve seen strength mentioned a few times, but no one considering if the mount will brake off in a crash or colliding with a branch.

Most helmet mounted lights can come off easily, my ayups for example are held with a rubber band that locates over a nub at the rear so the light can come off fairly easily. A nylon bolt would presumably offer a similar breakable point.

wombat

Not wishing to hijack a thread but…..has anyone tried mounting a light and a Gopro to their helmet?

Would 1 to each side to balance the weight work better than trying to fasten them both on top?

leeroybrown
    Free Member
    piesoup
    Free Member

spooky_b329 – Member

I’ve seen strength mentioned a few times, but no one considering if the mount will brake off in a crash or colliding with a branch.

Most helmet mounted lights can come off easily, my ayups for example are held with a rubber band that locates over a nub at the rear so the light can come off fairly easily. A nylon bolt would presumably offer a similar breakable point.

Just let me say, 3D printed parts are plenty strong enough if printed properly and used as designed. Like anything really.

I use a screw with a wasted portion, that snaps before the threads in the aluminium light housing are damaged. Other than the oring attached lights and the old L&M, I dont think any others have strain relief in their mounts. Easy enough to print a part of the mount that would break should you want it, but then the mount will be forever useless. I think he screw with the wasted portion is the way to go. I can supply the correct size screw / bolt too.

danposs86

Funnily enough, I made this video at the weekend:

bentudder

Piesoup – sorry – I owe you some measurements. I’ll more than happily pay postage and provide feedback. Will drop you a mail.

One of the problems this solves, for me at least, is swapping lights between different helmets. With the usual velcro strap jobs, you need to position the light carefully, maybe unvelcro some of the padding – basically, it’s a faff. And I have one lid with two central fore-and-aft beams, and one with a single central beam, so you need to mount the light differently for each lid. using a GoPro stick-on mount should make it a bunch easier!

andybrad
    piesoup
    Free Member

I like that!
    Do you other guys still want some mounts to trial?

carlphillips
    Free Member

yes bud i’d like to try one out.
    I have a troutlite can send dimensions/pics later if you need them but it has a flat base to glue/fix to..
    mail in profile if you want to sort out details payment/post etc

shedbrewed
    Free Member

andysmiff1 – Member
    I’m using a bell super helmet with the gopro mount on my SSX2.

Likewise but I wanted the mount to be sacrificial in case I twatted a tree with my head. There are a lot of low hanging trees where I ride.
    I cut the elasticated straps off the ‘headtorch’ assembly that came with the SSX2 and cable tied the plastic part on to my Super using thin ties. Then just a case of using the rubber loop to attach/remove as and when.

andybrad

can i ask why are you guys set on the go pro mounting? im guessing its because you have a go pro? or is it because its a really good mount. im a bit wary aboyt sticking anything to my lid.

on the flip side i reckon i can half the mount size and have a much better fixing system. fun this 3d printing mullarky

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Helmet light with gopro mount.’ is closed to new replies.