• This topic has 11 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Helmet light from DX – exposure joystick….. sort of…
  • mrl

Since it is now dark in the evenings a quick review/thoughts on this light null. I know it is not as bright as the new 900 and 1200 lumen light but it is small and has no cables so should make a good helmet light. It is apparently 350 lumens so a little bit better than the current joystick on paper. It uses the same xp R5 LED. I am sure the drivers, lens and LED are not of the same quality so it is probably not quite as good. The reason for comparing it to the joystick is that it fits in the exposure mount, so you can use the highly adjustable mount. It looks to be well put together with o rings and a sealed button. The threads were a bit dry but a bit of grease fixed that.

It weighs about 110-115g with the battery, so a bit more than the joystick but is not heavy. The light beam seems to have a relatively narrow flood with a central bright zone. No shadows or rings, I guess because the LED is not overly powerful. The flood bit gives a bit of peripheral light to the main beam and I think it will be quiet useful on the trail. A quick comparison with a Hope Vision 2 (on max 480 lumen) showed that it has a wider flood but still managed to provide a useful amount of light. With a trustfire 2500 ma battery it last for about 1 1/2 hrs on high beam before dimming to the middle setting for about 15-20 minutes, after that it became too dim to be useful. This was the first time i had used the battery so i don’t know if the time will improve once the battery has been cycle a few times. That was in 4 stints with the last being sat on the worktop in the garage. Did not seem to get hot. The switch at the back has a firm click to turn on, soft/half clicks cycle through the other modes. The middle setting is probably 2/3 of max while the low setting is probably only useful for commuting. There are two strobe settings. Unfortunately you have to cycle through all the settings to get back to the high power. There is a memory function on the switch so when you turn it off and back on it remembers your last setting which is nice.

So overall it cost about 37 quid including the mount, 2 batteries and charger. Overall a good value headlight.

althepal

There’s a Cree t6 XML torch for £20 going on the bay. Includes 2 batteries and a charger. With a claimed 1000 lumens and similar run times. There’s a coupla threads on here already somewhere..Still need to buy a mount though and I’m guessing the brightness is nowhere near the claimed amount but still a bargain. Roll on tues night!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Just picked up the same light from DX, in black. Very nice. Will testride it tonight…

so should make a good helmet light

that’s where mine is going too

bigjim

I have this light too and it has replaced my MkII joystick, great little thing and fits the joystick holder perfectly. Already had the batteries and charger so it was about 1/10th price of the Joystick!

Did you get yours from the now sold out UK DX stock or from the main DX site? How long did it take to arrive?

mrl

Got mine from the main site, took about 2 1/2 weeks. How does it actually compare light wise to the joystick? I assume it is more floody and not quiet as bright as the new ones but is it better than the old ones?

swoosh
    Free Member

althepal – Member
    There’s a Cree t6 XML torch for £20 going on the bay. Includes 2 batteries and a charger. With a claimed 1000 lumens and similar run times. There’s a coupla threads on here already somewhere..Still need to buy a mount though and I’m guessing the brightness is nowhere near the claimed amount but still a bargain. Roll on tues night!

Is this the one? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ultrafire-1000ml-5-Mode-CREE-XML-T6-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Light-WF-501B-18650-Ch-/130586583350?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1e67912136#ht_6452wt_1396

z1ppy

Nope, not exactly the same but near enough…that the differences won’t matter.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/ebay-cree-xml-20-torch-out-of-the-box-pics-review

getonyourbike
    Free Member

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/ultrafire-nh-t60-ha-ii-xm-lt60-5-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-flashlight-with-strap-1-x-18650-57005

I got one of these and it is very good indeed. It makes the perfect helmet light and I can fit it into an Exposure helmet mount. It’s about 3 times as bright as the Joystick that somebody I ride with has and nowhere near the cost.

EDIT- and it’s weighs quite a bit less than the T6 torch above

Northwind

The Joystick does have a brilliant helmet mount so it’s nice to know that someone makes a good light to go with it

simon1975

I randomly chose the same one as the OP a few weeks ago to replace a dead 18650 P7 torch and I agree – this XP-G torch is superb. It’s very very light, bright, and seems the perfect beam for a head torch. And only £11! I don’t expect it to last much more than one wet winter though… Mine was delivered 2 days after ordering from the DX UK warehouse.

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I got one of the Cree t6 XML torched off of Ebay to replace a P7 torch, its significantly brighter and smaller too.

DezB
    Free Member

I got an XML T6 torch for £10 on Ebay.
    Very bright, similar beam pattern to the DX one (bright centre with wide halo.)
    Not had a chance to try it as the wife keeps nicking it when walking the dog!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Helmet light from DX – exposure joystick….. sort of…’ is closed to new replies.