Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Helitape and sharpies.
  • maximusmountain
    Free Member

I have just had a frame that I received powder coated white and I intend on decorating it colourfully with the arty gf with sharpies.

I am hoping that helitape is the best way to protect the art work from coming off from washing and riding. Would there be any issues with applying it as the sharpie itself could be considered a “containment” and then the tape may not adhere very well.

My question is this, would having the frame drawn all over affect the adhesion of helitape? And if it does what is the best alternative method of protecting the frame?

boblo
    Free Member

What’s ‘with sharpies’?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

with any luck, something like this.

Mowgli
    Free Member

Depending on the particular ink and glue combination, the ink might bleed a little under the tape. Probably worth a test on something and leave for a while to see if it blurs?

boblo
    Free Member

Oh, so ‘sharpie’ is American for ‘pen’?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Sharpie is the brand of permanent market I have bought in tesco as it was on offer.

scaredypants

Oh, so ‘sharpie’ is American for ‘pen’?

like ‘Biro’ ?

(I like that white frame up there ^ )

oliverracing

Max – slight illusions of grandeur?

dabble
    Free Member

Could you put a couple of coats of clear spray lacquer on it or would that make the ink run?

maximusmountain
    Free Member

Dabble – thats why I am asking really, not sure what the best way to protect runs would be.

Oli – so many sharpied things that make it look lovely. I also bought a ridiculous 60mm DH stem for it today as well.

zippykona

These are Sharpies.

wiggles
    Free Member

What’s ‘with sharpies’?

oliverracing

I’m pretty sure the solvent in lacquer will smudge/dissolve the sharpie – unless you can find a water based one as sharpies are supposed to be waterproof, but not solvent/alcohol proof ❓

clicky for similar topic elsewhere on the interwebs CLICKY!!!!!

JoeG
    Free Member

Did you check the Sharpie website? Others have done similar stuff on there

motorcycle

bike frame

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It’s DELUSIONS of grandeur, not illusions. 🙂

wwaswas

These are Sharpies.

Ecky Thump, anyone…

eddiebaby
    Free Member

From that motorcycle article:
    Once you completed the finished design, what did you do to seal it? What type of sealant did you use? First, I applied three light mist coats of Dupont 622 Intercoat Adhesion Promotor. Then I let it sit for four hours to dry thoroughly. The final clear coat was Dupont g2 4500S Fast Activator.

oliverracing

It’s DELUSIONS of grandeur, not illusions.

😳

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Helitape and sharpies.’ is closed to new replies.