Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Heckler Pivot Service Instructions
  • Freester

I’ve got a pretty recent Heckler. I’ve just downloaded the pivot service instructions from the UK and US SC websites but the destructions are a bit out of date. Talking about pinch bolts that don’t exist on my frame.

Apart from that – are the instructions pretty reliable? Or anything else to watch out for?!

TIA

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well they must relate to the older model so (for someone who needs instructions) no way will they have any relevance to yours.

JoeBlob

Current model Heckler, changed from pinch bolts to newer expanding bolt set up on the main pivot a year or so ago, when they stopped using gussets at the font and hydroformed the tube profile to look the same.

Freester

Cheers JoeBlob that’s what I’ve got. Are the service instructions anywhere?

singlespeedstu

You need to use the instructions for the lower bearings on the Butcher.

http://www.santacruzbicycles.com/tech/butcher_overhaul.pdf

Freester

Cheers stu that’s great. Comparing it to the out of date heckler manual it’s not that different. Sure I’ll work it out.

unsponsored
    Free Member

Remove the pivot bolt, then the axle and swing arm, then knock the bearings out. The SC tool is well worth money.

You can get new bearings for very little, although you need some non standard loctite when refitting them. Cant remember the number at the mo.

My bike is the 1st generation of the new shape. 2007. Since new the bearing had been repacked with rock n roll grease and swapped out once (last year). Never jetwashed the bike. Weekly rides in all weathers.

Its well worth putting some copper slip on the pivot axle when you refit. Siezed axles are not uncomon on some SC bikes.

Freester

That’s great unsponsored. Just what I am looking for.

I’ve probably ridden 300-400 miles on my new frame and it’s developed a creak. I just wanted to pull it all apart and clean it all out and check the bearings.

I’ve got the SC bearing extractor and press. I also bought the SC bearing pack this time with a view to getting the bearings locally next time.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Heckler Pivot Service Instructions’ is closed to new replies.