Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Heckler Main Pivot Bearing Replacement
  • Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

For latest style swing arm (ie: screw in pivot, no pinch bolts in swing arm). Same arrangement on Butcher.

The shop fitted the (angular contact I think) bearings the wrong way around (blue seal out) and one has collapsed. Want to fit replacements myself, but SC website suggests 2 tools are needed, cost over £50.
    Anyone successfully replaced the bearings with homemade drifts/sockets?

Cheers

PL

mikewsmith
    Free Member

My collapsed ones were drifted out using “normal” drifts – took a while though as they were well gone (also proper shop mechanic as my tools were all shipped off to Oz by then)

Freester

Ooh they’ve put the price of the drift up.

Where are you (I’m in Dorset)? If you’re reasonably close can borrow my tools. Easy job with the right tools.

Can’t comment on doing it with homemade drifts.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

Freester – I’m in Lancs, but thanks for the offer.

There are two tools, one for removing and one for fitting – do you think both are essential?

nbt

Drifting out – hammer and screwdriver

“drifting” in, use a press – nut and bolt with a suitably sized washer to provide pressure on the outer race without interfering with the frame

goslow

I decided to be cautious and bought the tools, figured it would still be cost effective compared to paying a shop and safer. The frames aren’t cheap after all.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

I decided to be cautious and bought the tools, figured it would still be cost effective compared to paying a shop and safer. The frames aren’t cheap after all.

The exact conclusion I’ve come to.

One bearing is falling apart as it was put in the wrong way around. I’m guessing the SC tool pushes on the inner race, so in that case am I just going to end up try to get the otter race out with a screw driver and hammer?

nbt

One bearing is falling apart as it was put in the wrong way around. I’m guessing the SC tool pushes on the inner race, so in that case am I just going to end up try to get the otter race out with a screw driver and hammer?

Can be tricky to do that, I had to throw away a hope freehub when some cheap ebay bearings collapsed. You could try to find a smaller version of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-PCE-HUB-BEARING-PULLER-INTERNAL-EXTERNAL-CAR-VAN-GEAR-PULLEY-3-4-6-SET-/160807843176?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item2570e4f568#ht_3125wt_1172

search for “bearing puller”.

On another note, is a “tool swap” thread a good idea?

superfli
    Free Member

I like the idea of a tool swap thread – very useful and resourceful.

I just changed my bearings on Heckler 6.0, but if they sit in the same place, then its just a case of tapping around with a screwdriver to get them out, and I used a suitably large socket + hammer to get them back in (tried rubber mallet and then hammer/wood/socket but both methods didnt transfer enough force, hammer-socket worked in a couple of blows without damage to socket).

I didnt realise the bearings had a way round! Fortunately I put them in blue inwards.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What about free Santa cruz bearings warranty? I take it you’re not the original owner?.

scud
    Free Member

Superstar now do some cheap bearing fitting tools

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=36&products_id=529

whiter74
    Free Member

from superstar

bearing puller

+1 Scud
    Got one of these from Superstar too, easy or what and no damage. Took me only a few minutes to remove all 8 from my trek remedy

sprocker
    Free Member

I have the official tools from stif not needed anymore yours for £20 posted

goslow

As for the question about removing the bearings with the Santa Cruz tool. It’s simple but clever. The funny end bit fits in through outside of the bearing, the drift pushes through from the other side and expands the funny end bit which grips the bearing from both sides. The same process works for both bearings.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Heckler Main Pivot Bearing Replacement’ is closed to new replies.