Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Headtorch
  • geologist
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good cheap headtorch.

I was looking at the Petzyl Nao, its a genuine 550 lumens, but 100 quid. Ive noticed some on cree cheapies amazon for about 15 quid that claim to be the same ish output?

Does anyone have any experience with these ?

Cheers 🙂

timwillows
    Free Member

The integrated light sensor on the Nao is fun. Shine you own bright light at a friend with a Nao, and their light dims for them 🙂

allfankledup

For running or walking ? Alpkit

geologist
    Free Member

sorry should have said, running, off road.

Cheers, I didn’t know alpkit did lights

trail_rat
    Free Member

cant fault my alpkit gamma. (cheers peterfile)

Small light for close up stuff or reading. – red for map reading and a powerful emitter to see when running. batterys last for ages Its a really useful light.

its not 550 lumens though – are you riding with it ?

allfankledup

Alpkit lights cost buttons. So far we have had no issues with them.

Ymmv

MrNero50
    Free Member

Alpkit Prism 550. At £39 for a claimed 550 lumens, I’ve taken a gamble as wanted a head torch for walking the dog.

so far seems good value and genuine output rating.

CraigW
    Free Member

That Alpkit Prism looks a bit too heavy for running, and it takes weird/expensive batteries.
    I think the Alpkit Muon or Arc would be better.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Will follow this – the Prism doesn’t weigh greatly more than the gamma, but all the weight looks like it’s on the forehead. I like the gamma cause it balanced front and back.

Mr Nero have you tried running with it / is it a heavy lump on the front of your head?

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I’m using one of these…

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/121561041698?adgroupid=&hlpht=true&hlpv=2&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&ff3=1&lpid=122&poi=&ul_noapp=true&limghlpsr=true&ff19=0&device=c&chn=ps&campaignid=&crdt=0&ff12=67&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff14=122&viphx=1&ops=true&ff13=80

But for night sea fishing. 330 lumens max I think, re-chargeable (&/or battery.) Very comfy & lightweight, adjustable beam pattern & numerous ‘brightness levels’, or whatever It’s called!

Reccommended.

Greybeard
    Free Member

Everyone I know with a Gamma, including myself, says it’s a good light, but it will need a cable tie round the battery box when (not if) the catch breaks.

CountZero

Fenix do a bunch of different headtorches, this is probably the most adaptable one: http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/12389-Fenix-HP25-Headlamp.html
    They do some brighter ones that use 18650 Li-ion rechargeables, which are dead easy to get and cheap, use them myself, but they’re big batteries, and go into a separate case on a long chord, so perhaps not practical. Bright, though:
    http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/12634-Fenix-HP30.html
    This one does 900ln in burst-mode, and uses AA’s: http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/Shop/Fenix-Torches/Head-Torches/13030-Fenix-HP15-Ultimate-Edition.html

MrNero50
    Free Member

Mr Nero have you tried running with it

No, I dont run, it’s not too heavy, but do agree it is quite front heavy.

Regarding batteries, you can use recharge ones such as the Exposure ones available for the the Flare.

m360
    Free Member

How fast are you running that you need 550 lumens?

I’d be more bothered with weight, comfort and beam pattern. Something like the Silva Trail Runner is designed for, well, running!

http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/silva-trail-runner-ii-headtorch-e2112145?id_colour=4525

trail_rat
    Free Member
    peterfile
    Free Member

Alpkit have a load of new lights.

I’ve got a couple of Vipers. Even brighter than the gamma and definitely suitable for running.

Muon is even brighter and lighter for a few quid more.

thv3
    Free Member

Decathlon chest light

I just bought one of these, far more comfortable than a head torch but a bit “Ironman” if that bothers you! 😉

perchypanther
    Free Member

Decathlon chest light

I just bought one of these, far more comfortable than a head torch but a bit “Ironman” if that bothers you!

You should have bought two. That would be epic.

franksinatra

I have a bit of a thing for headtorches and have loads. The best I have found so far, an pretty close to be perfect is http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenser-LED7298-H7R-2-Rechargeable-Head/dp/B00FYVF62C
    Powerful light and adjustable for output and beam
    Rechargeable by minu usb but also takes AAA if you get stuck
    Lightweight
    Excellent build quality

I can’t fault it and purchased my own for mountain rescue use rather than use the issue Petzl headtorch.

StuF

I’ve just had this same decision and went for 2 of these.

They seem fine for the price and I’ll report back once I’ve taken them out for a run.

luke
    Free Member

If buying Led Lenser from Ebay or Amazon be aware that a lot are fakes, very good fakes, but still fakes, I got stung with a H14 on Amazon for not a lot less than a legit one, only found out it wasn’t real when it broke and I sent it to LL for repair, Amazon didn’t give a monkeys and I was out of pocket.
    These guys normally have deals on LL http://www.ledlenser-store.co.uk and are a listed dealer on LL webpage.

I’ve had several Gamma’s and good for the money but they do seem to fail normally when you need them the most.

Had a few Petzel and although light levels were below some of the competition the build quality is good.

I know use LL because I need the flood to spot zoom function a lot and there one of the few companies who offer this.

brassneck

Everyone I know with a Gamma, including myself, says it’s a good light, but it will need a cable tie round the battery box when (not if) the catch breaks.

They were offering replacement battery packs a while back, had one added to an order.

Cougar

I have that LL one (only non-rechargeable) and it’s ace. LL sent it to me as a replacement when a three year old lower model failed. So, excellent customer service too.

Not sure as I’d want to go running in it though, it’s a bit bulky for that (and probably overkill).

mogrim

I’ve got a Black Diamond which I bought in Decathlon – I think it’s this model. Not as nice as a Petzl, but at less than half the price I can’t complain. It’s fine for running, although if I used it more often I’d probably upgrade to something you can recharge via usb.

franksinatra

If buying Led Lenser from Ebay or Amazon be aware that a lot are fakes, very good fakes, but still fakes

Good advice. I have owned a fake (i knew it was fake when I purchased it). Straps loose their elasticity quickly and the ratchet adjustment on the light unit broke. Total false economy.

My link above is broken, but it is the LED Lenser H7R-2 rechargeable that I own

Cougar

My link above is broken,

Not any more. (-:

StuF

Cheers – we shall see if they’re any good. It looks genuine but may well not be at about £20/ light.

Any obvious way to tell?

footflaps

I use a DX 700 Lumen torch when night running rather than a head torch, mainly as none of my head torches are anywhere near as bright. Just run with it in my hand.

luke
    Free Member

To spot the fakes look on youtube plenty of videos showing the differences.
    The cheaper fakes are easy to spot the more expensive once are a bit harder.

m1kea
    Free Member

Been v impressed with the Petzl Tikka RXP. Small, integrate, light and the sensor seems to work very well. Haven’t run with it so can’t comment on that side of things.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has anyone used any of these Coast ones? They look pretty good output.

LED Headlamps

tetchypete
    Free Member

I’ve had about 5 Alpkit Gammas and every one has broken at the lugs that hold the battery cover on. Alpkit will replace the cover or even the whole head torch but they get a bit sniffy when you ask them to replace the replacement because that’s bust too. Alpkit buy them in from China so can’t change the design or materials. It’s a great torch but you’d better carry two at all times because they will break and leave you stranded in the dark.

matt_outandabout

My experience of the Alpkit’s (we ordered 50 for the kit store of two different models) was also a high failure rate through a lack of robustness. When they work, great. If you are ham fisted or hard on gear (like youth’s at outdoor centre), crap. Mind, we ended up with £1.99 uber cheap lights from China as not a lot else was justifiable cost wise.

AD

Bugger – I’ve just pre-ordered an Alpkit Muon to replace my ageing Silva L2 – I hope they’ve improved the robustness from previous designs 🙂
    I’ll try to remember to post on here when it turns up!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Has anyone tried the Fenix HL55?

£35 / 420 lumens / 115g + 18650 battery

http://m.gearbest.com/headlights/pp_162805.htmlhttp://m.gearbest.com/headlights/pp_162805.html

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

FunkyDunc – Member
    Has anyone tried the Fenix HL55?

Not the HL55, but I’ve owned their HP15 Headtorch for about 5 years, it was their premium headtorch at that time and cost £50. 99% certain it was the real thing as I bought it new from a reputable UK distributor named on their website. Overall it’s done the job well. Three negative things that spring to mind immediately.

1)Instructions were in pigeon English and one part I had to work out for myself as it was completely missing in the instructions (I think it was the button control for difference modes).
    2) the buckle thing on the head strap is rubbish, so it works loose. I’ve had to fix it in place with a needle and thread. Not ideal as I’d have to unpick it if I wanted to attach to a climbing helmet (those days are probably over tho)
    3) After a couple of years and not that much use, a wire broke in the battery pack, a mate resoldered it for me (the HP15 has a battery pack at the back).

It was 5 years ago, so things might be improved on newer models. Given that experience, at that price, I probably wouldn’t risk another. I’ve not really used it enough to comment on the quality of the headband ie keeping it’s elasticity with regular use, but it’s certainly not degenerated over time. The light itself works well, but you might want to check whether the brightest setting has a time limit or not. Mine has a 3min limit (might be 5min), so you have to keep pressing the button if you want to keep it on brightest setting, I’ve found that not ideal. I presumed that might be a safety feature to stop it over heating, but it hasn’t melted as a result of me continuously putting it on max.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

One other point, my mate said he had to replace the whole cable to the battery pack as he said the wires were well rusted inside the cable. don’t know how that happened as it appears to be a sealed unit.

geologist
    Free Member

Update –

So I splashed out on a Nao. I’m very happy , immense lights. For trail/fell running at night its the bees knees. I had a Petzyl Myo before this and I was a disappointed with it, the light output was OK for running at night on the road, but not good enough for off road.

There are cheaper options for road running but if like me you need a quality light which offers decent trail feature definition for off road running, the Nao is worth every penny.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Also finally gone for a Nao. At £74 it made too much sense

h4muf
    Free Member

[/quote]Been v impressed with the Petzl Tikka RXP. Small, integrate, light and the sensor seems to work very well. Haven’t run with it so can’t comment on that side of things.

+1

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Headtorch’ is closed to new replies.