Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Hayes done good! Easy caliper aligning on the way.
  • HermanShake
    Free Member

Pinkbike’s article H E R E explains that Hayes have added grub screw to the caliper mounts to retain the location of the caliper.

So simple, I hope it catches on. My SLX are fairly straight forward and I have no rub issues, but my previous brakes and friend’s calipers have given me a fair bit of frustration when silencing that dreaded “fft………fft……….fft”.

Maybe servo-wave makes it less of an issue? Either way I don’t think it would hurt to have the dirty little grubbers in there keeping watch.

bigyinn
    Free Member

But you still need to be able to align them first. TBH PM brakes are a POP to align anyway. IS are a PITA with faffing with shims etc.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Use cup and cone washers like Avid?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    bigjim

TBH PM brakes are a POP to align anyway. IS are a PITA with faffing with shims etc

come again?

HermanShake
    Free Member

I find it easier to align without the cup and cone washers on my Shimano brakes. They seem to skew the calliper to an unwanted angle in my experience. Simple flat washers reduce the variables.

I get that the initial process is the same, but thereafter this could be a time saver. I’m unlikely to jump ship from the big S but I think it’s a clever improvement to a tedious problem that we can do without.

bigyinn
    Free Member

bigjim – Member

TBH PM brakes are a POP to align anyway. IS are a PITA with faffing with shims etc

come again?
    To be Honest Post Mount brakes are a piece of pi*s to align anyway. International Standard are a Pain In The Ass with faffing with shims etc.
    Okay now petal?

Herman im slightly confused, Shimano brakes dont come with cup and cone washer, only Avids, as I recall.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Can’t see a problem aligning most modern post mount brakes – they are indeed a POP to setup.

Not like the old days with IS and shims… PITA they were.

trail_rat
    Free Member

IS was only a pain in the arse if you didnt know what you were doing and were trying to line up the disk between the pads instead of centralising them to the caliper.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think that’s a brilliant idea. How many times have you aligned a caliper then nipped the bolts up and it moved slightly? Lots!
    That’s a simple idea that adds so much yet takes away nothing. If you don’t want to use it, just take the grub screw out!

thepurist

I actually liked faffing with shims to get IS calipers lined up. Somehow it seemed more satisfying than just wiggling post mount around. Do I need help?

trail_rat
    Free Member

only issue is see is folk rounding off the small (presumably steel) bolt in the alloy caliper due to it galvanically corroding to the caliper.

lubrication holmes !

MSP

a fair bit of frustration when silencing that dreaded “fft………fft……….fft”.

Does the grub screw straighten the rotor?

HermanShake
    Free Member

bigyinn, excuse my grammar. My friend has PM Shimano brakes that came on his Genesis with cup n cone washers which have caused both of us much frustration. My SLX do not have them and I am glad of this. However my previous Avids had them which was repeatedly frustrating.

MSP, obviously they have nowt to do with the rotor, but as Poddy says it’s that crucial moment of tightening when the calliper just pulls in at an angle that is frustrating. Although it’s not ideal, I think brakes should be able to accommodate some warpage.

thepurist, that’s a bit weird.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Far prefer IS as a system.

igm

Next someone will invent a little bracket you clip on the disc an then align the notches in the caliper to.

On second thoughts that might actually be a useful addition to the existing transit spacer most brakes come with.

trail_rat
    Free Member

IGM birzman tools make them already.

scaredypants

oooh, is there a grub screw each side ?

a bit half-arsed if not

coffeeking
    Free Member

Mmm yeah i have to agree, unless the caliper is held on a sliding carriage or there’s two grub screws it’s a bit daft. And who has trouble lining up IS calipers? Really? Get a stack of shims, tighten – assess, add/remove, bingo, never touch it again. As for scuffing as the wheel rotates – that’ll be your rotor bent, not the caliper being out of line.

ThePinkster

Or alternatively use one of these if you don’t want to struggle.

AFAIK Works with all disc brakes and takes a few moments to set up.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Er, I don’t get it.

With the Hayes mount you just pull the brake on full and then tighten the mount bolts? That gets it straight…….

Superficial
    Free Member

With the Hayes mount you just pull the brake on full and then tighten the mount bolts? That gets it straight

Sometimes, yes. But if the pads aren’t moving completely evenly then it won’t work like that.

I don’t see how this will help – I’ve never had a problem with setting up disc brakes. I guess some people must do it differently to me if they think this will help *shrugs*

trail_rat
    Free Member

“With the Hayes mount you just pull the brake on full and then tighten the mount bolts? That gets it straight……. “

gets it close – still doesnt get close to doing it by eye ime ….

if your pistons are sticky then youll usually find its miles off ! – and then this compounds the issue by not letting the piston move fully at all …

wurzelcube
    Free Member

DrRSwank – Member
    Er, I don’t get it.

With the Hayes mount you just pull the brake on full and then tighten the mount bolts? That gets it straight…….

+1… I’ve always used this method and works a treat on my Avids, Shimano, Hayes etc…

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Hayes done good! Easy caliper aligning on the way.’ is closed to new replies.