Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Have we done this one yet? Driver jailed for driving head on at cyclists.
  • imnotverygood

Quite clearly that cyclist with the helmet cam was inciting the driver to do that. When I ride on the road without a camera, that sort of thing never happens to me.

cloudnine
    Free Member

So does this mean that a punishment pass which skims your elbow falls into the same category?? Its possibly even more dangerous as the cyclist cant even see the approach. Would love to see a crack down on close passes..

chakaping
    Free Member

as the cyclist cant even see the approach

But the fact that the cyclists could see him coming seems to be why it was taken more seriously than most aggressive driving.

Positive result, but can’t help feeling an assault charge might have been more appropriate. What do you reckon?

imnotverygood

Two and a half years is a good result. I think the fact that he did it more than once was an aggravating factor.

brakes
    Free Member

how long did he get?

MrOvershoot

One of our HGV Tanker drivers rides his bike to work most of the time (not a “cyclist” just rides a bike as he likes it)

The other day he saw a minicab driver squeeze a bloke on a bicycle into the kerb to the point where the bloke had to jump off onto the pavement before getting squashed. So he did similar with his 44Tonne wagon to the minicab.

After a few “F” words from the minicab driver our driver pointed out how its not nice when a bigger unit tries to crush you is it?

TBH even at my build I wouldn’t argue with our Graham without his 44T DAF

cookeaa

I reckon it’s going to be a tough stint inside, having a name like ‘Gobble’ and pictures like this online:

It’s only going to get worse when they hear He’s inside for “vigorous swerving”…

PJM1974
    Free Member

There’s no disputing the seriousness of this case, there’s no potholes…it’s a case of a middle aged man in an embarrassingly effete car being a ****.

Two and a half years, plus a future of never being able to insure a car again is about right.

PJM1974
    Free Member

MrOvershoot

I’d like to buy your pal Graham a pint.

xyeti
    Free Member

Hopefully some one will use him as a Johnny whilst at Her Majesty’s Pleasure,

Looks like he was already bound over for a similar incident, ****.

mattyfez

Looks like a bit of a pretty boy.. Hopefully he’ll get a good bumming.

Really annoys me that these incidents are ‘dangerous driving’ rather than attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon. Maybe people will start behaving if a few examples are made.

stumpy01

Wooo! Good result! What a complete and utter Belmont…

aracer
    Free Member

Excellent. It’s good to see things like this taken seriously for once, even when there is no collision.

curto80
    Free Member

This is a really good result.

A substantive jail term for dangerous driving involving cyclist victims.

But more importantly the courts have clearly said there doesn’t have to be injury or damage for a successful prosecution, to warrant jail time and for type of prosecution to be within the public interest, despite what the police seek to be telling people these days.

butcher

Is it just me, or does that type of complete disregard for vulnerable road users not happen on a daily basis? I’ve seen and experienced worse. It’s positive that it’s dealt with seriously, and I can see it’s because it’s so blatantly deliberate. I just hope it’s a positive step forward for the blatantly deliberate and dangerous driving we experience all of the time.

In comparison it’s seems completely mad that this kid gets two and a half years, yet others the police aren’t even interested in dealing with.

brakes
    Free Member

makes you think…
    I was tailgated (on a bike) yesterday by a **** in a white M3. As he passed going well above the speed limit I gesticulated with my hand (in a none-sweary way) and he cut in front of me and slammed the brakes on so he could give me some verbal.
    maybe I should report him… maybe I should wear a camera…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

He does look a bit like a killing machine….

hypnotoad
    Free Member

So does this mean that a punishment pass which skims your elbow falls into the same category?? Its possibly even more dangerous as the cyclist cant even see the approach. Would love to see a crack down on close passes..

Having a rear camera may help here, kind of makes you wonder if this would have resulted in a conviction without camera footage.

MrOvershoot

PJM1974 – Member

MrOvershoot

I’d like to buy your pal Graham a pint.

So would I but he doesn’t drink alcohol as he can be called out any time to drive so thinks its better not to as the slightest impairment in his opinion is like playing with a loaded gun.
    He’s a top bloke & everyone at work will go out of their way to help him.
    This makes me happy as its much the same as how I try to lead my life.

duckman

We have all felt that moment of panic as a car comes towards you like that,albeit an overtake usually. That terrifying feeling of helplessness,I hope he likes the taste of porridge.

bobgarrod
    Free Member

Mr Goble must like the sexual attractions of jail as it’s the third time he’s off there – previous drug dealing and another for burglary – or he’s just a scumbag

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Really annoys me that these incidents are ‘dangerous driving’ rather than attempted murder/assault with a deadly weapon. Maybe people will start behaving if a few examples are made.

I think some of the times the CPS have to go with what they think they can successfully prosecute, I’d rather a lower order offence and a higher end sentence then aiming high and missing out.

aracer
    Free Member

The trouble is, it’s so rare to get a sentence which isn’t right at the bottom of the tariff range for an offence by a driver endangering (or killing) cyclists. I reckon sentences below the correct range are actually more common than high sentences. According to the sentencing guidelines endangering vulnerable road users is supposed to be an aggravating factor, yet that never seems to be applied, whilst completely spurious mitigating factors are allowed.

It appears that in this case the only reason for what most of us presumably think a reasonable sentence for anybody doing that is his previous record – I’m betting that without that he wouldn’t be serving time.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

One thing I don’t understand is why he’s only banned for two years? I’d have thought, given his previous, he could be banned for a lot longer at no cost to the tax payer and remove a dangerous driver. As it stands it ends six months before he’s released. Noted he will be out before that on good behaviour etc. So where’s the protection for the public by only banning him for two years?

aracer
    Free Member

I couldn’t agree more – the most important thing in a case like this is a very lengthy ban – TBH I can’t see what would be wrong with a life ban for this chap and others like him. Though he will at least find it extremely expensive to get back on the road.

AlexSimon

Have some of you heard yourselves? Calling for rape as a punishment? Really!?

Klunk
    Free Member

TBH I can’t see what would be wrong with a life ban for this chap and others like him.

I don’t think the courts really want to go down that road as it would, for some of these guys, mean a life time behind bars.

aracer
    Free Member

Eh, what on earth do you mean by that?

Klunk
    Free Member

recidivists

chakaping
    Free Member

My guess is that the court decided he was actually very unlikely to repeat the offence. And unless he has been shown to have a mental illness impairing his judgement I’d probably agree.

somouk
    Free Member

That’s a big sentence considering people are getting away with killing cyclists on the roads.

Fingers crossed it is used as a reference case in the future and we start to see stricter sentencing across the scope of incidents.

martinhutch

TBH there have been plenty of cases where drivers have tried to hit the cyclist (or actually hit them) rather than just scare the shit out of them which haven’t even resulted in a dangerous driving charge, so I guess we should be grateful for small mercies.

That’s a refreshingly long sentence. I daresay it will come down on appeal.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

prosecution – “Was there a fox coming up, was there a badger coming up, was there a spaceship landing?”

I like this lawyer!

richmtb

Video isn’t working on my work laptop, but has this asshat actually crossed the road to “punishment pass” someone traveling in the opposite direction?

That’s absolutely outrageous. I’m glad he’s been jailed

PJM1974
    Free Member

One thing I don’t understand is why he’s only banned for two years?

This irked me too, he’d only be banned for the length of his prison sentence, however unlike his spell in jail which will most likely be reduced on appeal/good behavior etc, the two year ban will stand.

In addition, he’ll be obliged to declare any convictions next time he applies for car insurance…he’ll be uninsurable for decades yet.

I strongly suspect that his previous misdemeanor and character was a factor in him being handed a custodial sentence.

duckman

Thats a good point,we are all seeing this as a result,when in actual fact if it is his third time in jail,that is the biggest factor in him getting 30 months.

zanelad
    Free Member

I doubt for one moment that the driver intended to strike the cyclists. Just to scare them. If he did, then he’s a worse driver than he already appears to be.

Not condoning what he did, but I cannot see how it could be classed as attempted murder.

devash
    Free Member

Mr Goble must like the sexual attractions of jail as it’s the third time he’s off there – previous drug dealing and another for burglary – or he’s just a scumbag

Doing a bit of Google research it seems like the whole Goble family has spent substantial time in jail between them.

A family of oxygen thieves if there ever was one.

Speshpaul

With regards to the length of the driving ban, ultimately long bans won’t stop these people from driving.
    What we need is some kind of driving parole. Where convicted drivers are coached and monitored. the Black box tech exists now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Have we done this one yet? Driver jailed for driving head on at cyclists.’ is closed to new replies.