Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Have we done chopped bike racks yet?
  • scotroutes

From Twitter

A clever, if disgusting, ruse – saw through the bike rack, cover cut with duct tape and leave. Pop back at your leisure and retrieve bike.

Certainly worth checking out if you are locking up in a public place.

thenorthwind

Sneaky. Will try and remember this. Thanks for sharing

scotroutes

Day 2 bump

garage-dweller

How does someone manage to spend all that time sawing through what looks like a serious bit of metal and not get spotted or heard.

chakaping
    Free Member

Hi-viz vest probably.

kimbers

Bike theft is pretty much an industry in some places,

riddoch

Is the rack metal, the exposed material in the cut looks very white? Might just be the photo.
    random youtube link of cutting might not be that noisy to take that long with the correct tool.

lewislippiatt
    Free Member

Thieves used this exact technique at my office not long before I started working there. Took everyone’s bikes one lunchtime.

Resulted in a fairly significant storage upgrade, including CCTV coverage. They kept the racks though, just welded them up, they’re now starting to rust through :-/

damascus
    Free Member

Sneaky b@#&@rds. Thanks for sharing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

MY mate says this you can do anything if you switch in some flashing orange lights and wear high – viz Hiding in plain sight

He is not a thief but he has blocked roads and the like for work – not always with permission

nealglover
    Free Member

MY mate says this you can do anything if you switch in some flashing orange lights and wear high – viz Hiding in plain sight

He’s totally right.

I’ve driven onto a large city centre building site totally unchallenged, wandered round and found the right cabin, walked into the empty cabin and loaded up multiple instruments worth ~£10k/£15k each, and driven off site.

I was doing it legitimately, and called the engineer to let him know, but totally unchallenged while actually doing it.

I’d never been to that site before, No company signage on my vehicle, and no company clothing. Just put on a high viz and hard hat to comply with regs.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Thanks Scotroutes, are there any more photos or a link?

I assumed they are steel tube but if so, it looks like the tube is filled with something, I’m not sure how these racks are constructed. Are they thick wall or solid aluminium at the bend?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Have we done chopped bike racks yet?’ is closed to new replies.