• This topic has 48 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Have we done AI robots destroying humanity?
  • DezB
    Free Member

(I searched, honest)

Brilliant piece of reporting in the Mirror

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/robot-intelligence-dangerous-experts-warning-10908711

Brought tears to me eyes 😆

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Run for the hills!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Anyone who’s ever tried to call HMRC and dealt with their automated phone answering system will understand that the machines are not going to be taking over any time soon.

akira

Isn’t that exactly what super smart AI would want us to think?

GrahamS

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0_DPi0PmF0[/video]

DezB
    Free Member

BBc reported what these crazy out of control deadly machines actually said:
    “Balls have zero to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to me to”

ARGH! Run!

fooman

Journalist logs onto chatbot web site. Website responds with;

“HumanChatSim.cs: Line 390 Session Null Pointer Exception Process Killed”

Journalist writes piece for Mirror on how machines are plotting to kill all humans.

GrahamS

Ah I see they are quoting Professor Kevin Warwick, aka Captain Cyborg

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

I’ve long suspected that my toaster and kettle (or Carol and Ted as they’re known in AI circles) have been plotting to kill me

piemonster

Toaster morality is shocking stuff

aracer
    Free Member

Dr David Hanson is quite impressively lifelike

DezB
    Free Member

Needs a bit more work on the hair.

huckleberryfatt
    Free Member

Grey pallor, shrivelled genitals, fondness for public nudity … are they robot kayakers?

wilburt
    Free Member

What goes around comes around.

matt_outandabout

Grey pallor, shrivelled genitals, fondness for public nudity … are they robot kayakers?

*Applauds*

gordimhor

I’ve long suspected that my toaster and kettle (or Carol and Ted as they’re known in AI circles) have been plotting to kill me

It’s the toaster and the bloody smoke alarm that are going to kill me

jimjam
    Free Member

DezB – Member

(I searched, honest)

Brilliant piece of reporting in the Mirror

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/robot-intelligence-dangerous-experts-warning-10908711

Brought tears to me eyes 😆

Yes yes, it’s easy to laugh at a clickbait article but there is more than a grain of truth to it. Unfortunately it’s a complicated issue to grasp and therefore to debate but if people like Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking say that AI is potentially dangerous I believe there’s something to it.

According to Musk “AI is the biggest risk we face as a civilisation”.

It won’t be robot armies, it’ll be the unethical application of algorithms.

jam-bo

They left chewkw switched on at least.

CountZero

What do you mean by “at least”? Do you realise what could happen if those AI that Amazon created switched themselves back on and started communicating with chewkw?
    It’s the end of the world as we know it!
    😯

footflaps

Professor Kevin Warwick

Yes, the well known PR BS merchant.

Tiger6791

Well almost

chewkw
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

Ya, I will programme everyone to call me papa. 😈

sirromj

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7xvqQeoA8c[/video]
    (watch for the bunny-hop)

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Not that dangerous, yet.

Northwind

perchypanther – Member

Anyone who’s ever tried to call HMRC and dealt with their automated phone answering system will understand that the machines are not going to be taking over any time soon.

Aliexpress’s customer service chat bots are really pretty impressive. They mostly give themselves away with uncanny speed, and with repetition, they quote you back more than real people do and use some slightly glaring stock phrases in a similar way so that’s a wee bit of a cypher, but I was using the webchat last night and the most obvious sign that a human was intervening was that the grammar got worse and the response time crashed.

stewartc
    Free Member

Almost human with an instinctive built in desire to enslave mankind, checks wife for mains plug.

CountZero

Almost human with an instinctive built in desire to enslave mankind, checks wife for mains plug.

Don’t you mean socket…

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As long a Skynet doesn’t exist, we will be safe.

Uh oh! 😯 😉

twisty

I am genuinely worried about this.

To the best of my limited knowledge there are 3 doomsday scenarios

1) Intelligent networked software that goes viral (aka skynet)
    2) Self replicating robots that consume biomass as they replicate (aka Grey goo)
    3) A combination of the two, some intelligence and ability to self replicate.

I’m most worried about the 3rd scenario, I see it as being perfectly feasible within current technology to connect up a learning machine to 3D printer that can manufacture a variety of media including electronic circuits with a programme to improve itself, once it starts to find a winning formula then it could propel it’s abilitys beyond human control exponentially.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Simply make them feel guilty for doing so. Problem solved (though you may have difficulty getting an elevator to go where you ask).

wilburt
    Free Member

I’m worried about aggresive bio mechanical semi inteligent bots farming other life forms for fuel and burning the world around them driven by greed.
    Given time they could even replicate bots in their image and send them out to other planets.

Until the original bot turns off their PS6000 and the games over.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’m worried about aggresive bio mechanical semi inteligent bots humans farming other life forms for fuel and burning the world around them driven by greed.
    Given time they could even replicate bots more humans in their image and send them out to other planets.

It’s a scary future, no doubt.

GrahamS

checks wife for mains plug.

Does your wife look like this?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sex-robot-harmony-looks-feels-10415161

ade9933
    Free Member

Yes yes, it’s easy to laugh at a clickbait article but there is more than a grain of truth to it. Unfortunately it’s a complicated issue to grasp and therefore to debate but if people like Elon Musk, Bill Gates and Stephen Hawking say that AI is potentially dangerous I believe there’s something to it.

According to Musk “AI is the biggest risk we face as a civilisation”.

It won’t be robot armies, it’ll be the unethical application of algorithms.

Good point. Look at the last elections in the US & Brexit.

Those results were fuelled by clever use of intelligent data. People are easily manipulated and if it gets / stays in the wrong hands we are all in trouble.

If you look at Trump. He secured power based on the back of a wave of dissatisfaction with inequality and a ruling elite. Unfortunately, his policies will only exacerbate the situation so a few years down the road there could be a more extreme populist leader who does more damage to the stability of the world than old Daffy Trump and gets on the back of doing what DT said he was going to do.

I think this worst-case-scenario is quite likely somewhere in the world, if we look at the rise of populist politics in the UK with Brexit and across Europe. Sure Macron managed to hold off Le Pen but one swallow doesn’t make a summer.

As AI increases increasing numbers of jobs will be automated. This will include everything: Journalism, Lawyers, Drivers, Checkout Assistants, Delivering, Driving etc pretty much everything you can think of will either be automated or made much quicker and easier with the use of advanced robotic tools and will therefore require less people to do the job. This of course as the population is rising and international competition increasing.

Of course the governments of the world could come together and define a sensible, innovation-friendly, framework for global taxation, retraining and something along the lines of UBI (Universal Basic Income)… but then pigs might fly too. 🙁

At worst, this could be very bad. I would say that we are on the verge of a technological global warming style crisis. We can redirect it but I have seen very little momentum to try and I worry that it will be too late when we do wake up sufficiently. The voices that are shouting about this do not attract the interest in the way that the populists: Johnson, Corbyn, Trump et al do.

I think this will result in fewer winners than there are now with a few global businesses increasingly taking over and growing exponentially. As they become more global, it becomes harder for governments to legislate and guide them too.

If we are looking for parallels, I would consider the Industrial Revolution. sure we are sitting pretty now but for 80 – 100 years afterwards things got a lot worse for working people.

but on the bright side…. we will all have time to bake more cake – Yay 😀

finephilly
    Free Member

That’s **** wild. My uni professor did the worlds first ‘teleportation’ ie duplicating an encoded proton and sending it to two places at the speed of light. That was in 1997 – Consumers are only now getting hold of fibre optic broadband. The best news was that the researchers were able and willing to switch them off . This was key in limiting their effects.

CountZero

As long a Skynet doesn’t exist, we will be safe.

Uh oh!
    Sadly, with the death of Photobucket, Flickr’s inability to play nicely with iOS, and my inability to get Imgur to work in any way at all, I can’t post my photo of the local roadsign saying ‘Skynet Drive’…

I’m most worried about the 3rd scenario, I see it as being perfectly feasible within current technology to connect up a learning machine to 3D printer that can manufacture a variety of media including electronic circuits with a programme to improve itself, once it starts to find a winning formula then it could propel it’s abilitys beyond human control exponentially.

Von Neumann machines – self-replicating intelligent machines.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Self-replicating_machine

DezB
    Free Member

9pm tonight BBC4 … if robots developed consciousness..

DezB
    Free Member

From GrahamS’s link previous page
    experts believe by 2050 we might want to be marrying sex robots just like her

The Mirror is the best comedy I’ve seen in ages.

wilburt
    Free Member

Alexa is already the best conversation I can get in my house.

ade9933
    Free Member

Alexa is already the best conversation I can get in my house.

…and what could possibly go wrong having an always-on listening device sitting in our homes? (which of course our phones could be hacked to be too anyway) 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Have we done AI robots destroying humanity?’ is closed to new replies.