Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Have I ruined my Garmin 800?
  • Dogsby

Went out for a road ride on Sunday and it was pretty wet but never thought to check my GPS as it is supposed to be waterproof. When I turned it on today it did not display the OS mapping and on inspection the card slot had water in it. Slightly upset as it is only 2 weeks old. Any hints or suggestions?

Dogsby

wwaswas

don’t turn it on again.

remove sd card and open up any rubber bungs over usb slots.

put it somewhere dry but not in direct sun etc for a few days and see if it’s dried out.

(if you google ‘how do I dry my iphone out’ you’ll see loads of suggestions)

if it’s still not working after a good few days drying then I’d call Garmin.

I’m surprised you’ve had a problem, tbh – I’ve never had issues with my Garmin kit (not that model though).

foxyrider
    Free Member

I’d open both flaps, remove card and put it in the airing cupboard – I expect you didn’t do the rubber cover up properly – the card will be fine – just dry the microSD slot out (which I think is sealed from the rest of the innerds) and put the card back in and then try – else back to Garmin?

Edit: oops too late

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I wouldn’t dick about with it. It’s supposed to be used outdoors and it’s failed. Send it back and get a replacement.

highclimber
    Free Member

Garmins are Ipx 7 rated, which means they should be submersible in a metre of water for 30 mins so if its water damaged, you are within your rights to return it to where you got it from for a refund or replacement given its within 28 days of buying it. even after this time you should be able to return it if you beleive it to be faulty.

fbk
    Free Member

As above. Try gently drying it out but, if any doubts, speak to Garmin – they’re pretty good re warranties and the like and will replace it if there’s any problems (IME anyway!).

I’m surprised though as an early review tried submerging the whole unit in water for a good while with the rubber flap open and nothing bad happened. Must’ve seeped through over time I guess?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yes but if you don’t do the 2 flaps up then it poss not IPX7 anymore?

highclimber
    Free Member

if any doubts, speak to Garmin the shop you bought it from

traildog
    Free Member

Put it in a cup of rice. That’s a very good way of drying it out.
    My Edge 500 survived the washing machine, and lots of heavy rain showers.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I reckon its not recognising the microSD as the water is shorting out the pins – I reckon as above if you just dry it out it will be fine – I have washed many a SD card and pen drive on a hot wash and all been fine!

Dogsby

Cheers for all the advice. It does not sound as if it is absolutely terminal so it is on the window sill now and hopefully it will dry out. Fingers crossed.

Dogsby

mudshark
    Free Member

I had a similar problem with mine the other day, let it dry out but not working now.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

Cup of rice as above – will usually rapidly dry a gadget out, don’t use the hairdryer as you can trash the device.

Dogsby

SHE IS ALIVE!!!

Thank you for all the tips and advice. I put it on the window sill all day yesterday and then in the airing cupboard overnight. Popped the card in this morning and turned it on and we were all systems go. Chuffed to bits.

Thanks again

Dogsby

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nice one 🙂

Dogsby

Cheers. I was really trying not to panic. 😛

Coleman
    Free Member

Good to hear all is OK. Hopefully panic over.
    Also a fairly new 800 user and read your post with some trepidation!
    Although mine has so far been OK despite a few wet rides.

Dogsby

Coleman,

I am still a bit concerned as I am positive that the rear flap was securely closed and therefore cannot understand how it got wet inside. I will be keeping a close eye on it in the future. Outstanding bit of kit though.

Dogsby

mudshark
    Free Member

Well mine’s never going to work again I’m sure. Mine crashed whilst riding in the rain so had to finish the ride without it – glad I didn’t need it to navigate by.

Dogsby

Mudshark,

Have you tried drying it out or are you going to send it back?

Dogsby

mudshark
    Free Member

I left it for 24 hours before connecting it so am sure it’s as dry as it can be. I believe that it shouldn’t get water inside as the ports are sealed – they should be dried before using them. So I intend to send it back.

Dogsby

Good luck. It would be interesting to hear how you get on.

Dogsby

Coleman
    Free Member

Dogsby,

Just been out on a four hour wet ride and the 800 had a fair soaking. Still working OK, but on lifting the flaps after (as Garmin recommend) noticed a few droplets of water around both the usb and sd ports, so moisture does indeed get past the rubber seals – even when correctly seated and closed. I also have the silicone case on mine, although I don’t think this offers any extra protection from moisture ingress.

Hope yours is still OK after drying out.

clubber
    Free Member

I grease the rubber port covers on my 605 as it also leaks slightly otherwise.

solamanda
    Free Member

So I intend to send it back.

Garmin have one of the best warranty backup services I’ve ever heard of. Speaking as an ex-retailer of large numbers of Garmin products.

Dogsby

Coleman,

Mine is still working okay but I stayed indoors this weekend. You are clearly much harder than me as I would not dream of a four hour ride in this weather!! If Garmin recommend opening the rubber flaps does this mean that it is expected to leak a little and therefore drying out should be no problem?

Dogsby

Coleman
    Free Member

Dogsby,
    More mentally challenged than hard!!
    I’m hoping the main internals are sealed from the ports, but who knows?
    Let’s hope your temporary glitch just stopped it accessing the maps on the memory card.
    Great piece of kit tho’ – ‘boys and toys’ eh!
    Cheers.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

bit worrying to read this – but mine is about 3-4 months old now, and has been in the absolute worst weather but still fine, ive even checked the little crappy pull things (where the cable and sd card go) and its been bone dry….much to my surprise as i thought it looked a bad design…

been out in terrible weather for a long time today and still dry as a bone…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Have I ruined my Garmin 800?’ is closed to new replies.