Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Have I just purchased fake RaceFace Next bars?
  • ben77
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve tried contacting RaceFace and Silverfish about this but haven’t had a reply so my next port of call is here.
    So I’ve just purchased a new RaceFace Next 31.8 (630mm) flatbar from ebay but I’m not sure if it is an authentic RaceFace product.
    My reason for thinking this is:-
    1: The bars have a textured finish around the stem clamp area (Don’t think I’ve seen it on this type of “NEXT” bars)
    2: The ends of the bar aren’t a uniform thickness, it’s thinner on the back edge.
    3: I’ve seen the genuine 25.4 version available in the 630mm length but not the 31.8.
    4: The carbon weave has a break line running the complete length, both front and back. (Not sure if that’s normal?)
    5: There’s no serial number on the bars, I’m not sure the “Next” sticker looks right and the “optimised carbon technology” stickers either end of the bar don’t line up with each other.

I really need to know if these are fake so I can contact the ebay seller to get a refund, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ben.

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Could they possibly be seconds?

ben77
    Free Member

Could be, but what makes me more suspicious of them being fake is all the online images I find that are identical to this bar are from aliexpress that are renowned for selling copies!!!

Euro
    Free Member

These are under £30 and look like the ones you got. I’d say fake.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

New…..Thiefbay….

Caveat emptor.

ben77
    Free Member

Yep the finish looks the same, I’m sure RaceFace didn’t use that style of grip for the stem clamp area.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cpt is there any point where you blame the seller for selling fake goods as real?

IIRC we dont tend to blame the victims of fraud for the fraud

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Junky, if the vendor is selling fakes, then of course they are to blame, at fault, etc. However, in my mind, there’s an almost unfair onus on the buyer on the ‘Bay.

ben77
    Free Member

The thing is I didn’t buy them from a Chinese seller, it was from a UK seller. Maybe he was unaware, but they originally sold for £28.00 I think, then I got a second chance offer for my max bid of £27.00. Thinking back now I should of done a bit more digging cos the original ebayer that won them had zero! feedback and why would you let an expensive handlebar go for peanuts.
    Should of used my head and not my heart!!!

jontykint
    Free Member

6. They are about 200mm too narrow !

nmdbasetherevenge
    Free Member

Do a paypal dispute and report him for shill bidding 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

apologies cpt I misread that as a dig at the OP and not Ebay

I do not disagree re Ebay.

PS woohoo about the cricket

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Hi Ben77
    That doesn’t look too good to me 🙁

I know you say you’ve already tried to contact us but can I ask that you so so again to me directly please?

Cheers

Richie@silverfish-uk.com

ben77
    Free Member

So I’m safe to say my suspicions have been confirmed. Gonna contact the seller first, then open an ebay case.
    Thanks all.

ben77
    Free Member

Thanks Richie, I didn’t see your reply.
    I will email you shortly.

ninfan
    Free Member

Worth reading

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/policies/money-back-guarantee.html

Counterfeit items

If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, the buyer isn’t required to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In such cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original postage, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.

ben77
    Free Member

Thanks for the info ninfan, I didn’t know that. Save my time getting it packed n sent and have an extremely light paper weight to boot 🙁

skids
    Free Member

100% counterfeit, look on chinese sites like aliexpress dhgate, for bike parts especially handlebars, seatposts, stems. they are flooded, especially raceface next, rithey, FSA, bontrager carbon stuff. The funny thing is that there are sellers on ebay selling this knowingly fake stuff for like triple the price they paid for it and they have perfect feedback!, http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/raceface-next-sl-handlebar.html?ltype=wholesale&SearchText=raceface-next-sl-handlebar&d=y&origin=n&shipCountry=uk&filterCat=122208&SortType=total_tranpro_desc&groupsort=1&CatId=0&isViewCP=y&I18nSearchText=raceface-next-sl-handlebar

Junkyard
    Free Member

If a buyer suspects that an item is counterfeit and there are strong indicators that the item is counterfeit, the buyer isn’t required to return the item to the seller. The buyer agrees to cooperate with us to ensure the proper disposal of the item. In such cases, we refund the buyer for the full cost of the item and original postage, and the seller reimburses us for the refund. The buyer may not sell the item on eBay or elsewhere.

Jamie will phtoshop them broken for you then classified 😉

A mate of mine rides with fakes and has done for years without any ill effect
    It is not me honest as mine are all legit [ but bought in sales]

Jamie
    Free Member

Jamie will phtoshop them broken for you then classified

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

RaceFake 👿

dooge
    Free Member

eBay are fairly good, I have bought fakes before in good faith and they have always reacted quickly. I hope they are as quick for you. It also may be worth mentioning who and what are fakes if you know for sure, maybe it can be pointed out to importers like Silverfish to ascertain whether its genuine or fake.

ben77
    Free Member

The thing is Junkyard the bars could be fine, as you say ya mate uses em with no probs but there will always be that niggling feeling of doubt on every ride and you have to wonder how many people that’ve bought these fakes believing they got the real deal !

I have to say that Photoshop is quite convincing Jamie, quite apt that, faking a fake 🙂

ebay and seller have been notified, just gotta wait for a response before 24th August.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I would probably not use fake bars and would just get some ali* ones tbh

* aluminium ones not allyexpress or whatever it is.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Have I just purchased fake RaceFace Next bars?’ is closed to new replies.