Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • hating unicyclists – article in independent on sunday
  • antigee

do you? not sure if this falls in the category of bad science or academic turns anecdotal…

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/men-from-mars-and-women-from-venus-ask-a-trick-cyclist-7534789.html?origin=internalSearch

Edukator
    Free Member

Interesting, I’d assumed the negative reaction from men (he’s right IME) was jealousy.

headfirst
    Free Member

Surely a case of ‘nobody likes a show off’ I’d say

nickjb
    Free Member

not sure if this falls in the category of bad science or academic turns anecdotal

Or lazy journalism. Here’s the study, published 5 years ago.

http://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1320.full

antigee

thanks nickjb

aracer
    Free Member

The responses I get from women and primary school aged children when riding a uni are almost universally positive. The responses I get from men slightly less so – but still mostly positive, and I don’t think I’ve ever had a really negative comment (maybe I just live in a really nice area)? I suppose the most significant difference is that men are far more likely to try and make a “clever” comment (usually one of the ones you’ve heard a million times before, involving what happened to the other wheel). I’d put that down to an attempt to assert their status in the face of somebody who has an ability they don’t.

yunki
    Free Member

if anyone feels compelled to get shot of their uni after reading this.. I’m in the market for one..

tiny budget at the moment but I’m looking for a machine suitable for an intermediate rider with maybe some light off-road use..

email in profile if you’ve got anything you think I might be interested in..
    cheers

cynic-al
    Free Member

unicycling is only one step away from juggling IMO.

aracer do you wear a clown suit and frighten children?

john_drummer
    Free Member

and that is wrong, how?

What’s not to like? I wish I could do it, but I can hardly balance on two feet.

thomthumb
    Free Member

unicycling is only one step away from juggling poi IMO.

FTFY

maccruiskeen

aracer do you wear a clown suit and frighten children?

How do you get a clown off a swing?

Hit him in the face with a shovel! Hit him with anything, just get him off my swing. I hate clowns.

aracer
    Free Member

tiny budget at the moment but I’m looking for a machine suitable for an intermediate rider with maybe some light off-road use..

You can already ride a uni, but don’t own one, or you can’t ride but reckon you’re a fast learner? 😉

What exactly do you mean by “tiny” – you can pick one up on ebay for £30 or so, or a proper one for less than most people on here will pay for a set of cranks http://www.unicycle.uk.com/ Get a 24″ or bigger one and you can fit an off-road tyre and ride off-road – the cheaper ones will just be less durable if you want to do harder stuff (you can even ride off-road on a 20″ – I have – it just won’t roll over stuff so well).

Anna-B
    Free Member

Interesting article, somehow not surprising. I’m planning to take to the great outdoors this summer on mine, I can nearly go the whole length of my hallway… Prepared for some stick, wonder if I’ll get as much from men being a woman.

Learning to ride one as an ab workout, beats situps!

yunki
    Free Member

It’s subversive and subversion is good for society.. it keeps things on an even keel and maintains the status quo..

aracer – I’m fishing for a bargain.. there must be a fair few folk who have thought they’d give it a go and now have a dusty un-used unicycle cluttering up a dark corner..?

aracer
    Free Member

do you wear a clown suit

I find the big feet get in the way.

No surprise to find the negative comments appearing from the men with an ego problem…

Anna-B
    Free Member

aracer – I’m fishing for a bargain.. there must be a fair few folk who have thought they’d give it a go and now have a dusty un-used unicycle cluttering up a dark corner..?

keep checking the classifieds on here – it’s where I got mine last summer (story as you imagine above!) and there’s been at least another one for sale since then.

aracer
    Free Member

there must be a fair few folk who have thought they’d give it a go and now have a dusty un-used unicycle cluttering up a dark corner..?

Good point – you could try chasing the folks on this thread for a start 😉
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/anyone-bought-a-unicycle-from-lidl

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez aracer…typical reaction from the men that take jokes seriously and personally?

Fair enough if folk want to unicycle and juggle in public….it just looks a bit attention seeking…lots of folk are very skilled at their hobbies but don’t feel the need to practise in public.

Duggan

Genuine question- what is the attraction? I don’t mean that in a nasty way, just curious why people want to do it?

Practically, it seems that it doesn’t have any advantage over a normal bike?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

yunki
    Free Member

they are much faster.. to the naked eye it will appear that the unicycle is an ungainly and slow contraption but if you film it and slow it down x55 378 008 (ish), you can see that the unicyclist exists in two or more parallel universes much like a quantum particle and with practice the rider can hone this effect to achieve time travel..

I learned the fine art as a crusty hippy teen when raves and such were de rigueur.. my then girlfriends dad challenged me to learn it and I thought it would give me an edge of mystique with the young ladies..

Months later he saw me off with a shotgun..

aracer
    Free Member

typical reaction from the men that take jokes seriously and personally?

Typical reaction from the man who didn’t bother reading the joky bit of the reply (we could go on all night).

lots of folk are very skilled at their hobbies but don’t feel the need to practise in public.

Where else am I supposed to ride a unicycle? 😕

aracer
    Free Member

Genuine question- what is the attraction? I don’t mean that in a nasty way, just curious why people want to do it?

You appear to have answered your own question 😉

(hint – what is the attraction of a singlespeed or a CX bike)

onewheelgood

It has no advantage. But it is a challenge, off-road unicycling even more so. What’s the advantage of riding rounds a trail centre, only to end up where you started? You could have just stood still for two hours and achieved the same effect for no money and for no expenditure of energy.

On the subject of this thread, I have found that while young women will generally at least smile at me, older women appear to find the whole concept of a unicycle so threatening to their world view that they would rather pretend that I and my unicycle don’t exist. Men’s reactions do seem to follow the pattern suggested in the article.

nick1962
    Free Member

Unicylists,jugglers,white folk with dreads, middle class ,festival going,arts council grant Trustafarians who ought to get a proper job and stop polluting the West Country with their nonsense.

yunki
    Free Member

yeah man.. you tell ’em nickers.. 😀

Lifer
    Free Member

yunki – Member
    Months later he saw me off with a shotgun..

Him with his shotgun, you on your unicycle?

nick1962
    Free Member

Did I mention layabout students?

yunki
    Free Member

Him with his shotgun, you on your unicycle?

it would have been comical if it weren’t for the seriousness of the situation.. where could I poo..!!?

I’ve walked on a slant ever since..

joao3v16
    Free Member

I tend to think of riding a unicycle as what adults do when they’re too big to be seen on a space hopper or pogo stick … it’s more ‘grown up’ but still has the same childlike/fun element …

My balance on two wheels often leaves a lot to be desired, so I can appreciate the ability of unicyclists, especially off-road and doing tricks

showerman
    Free Member

was in morzine last year 4brits on uni,s seemed to be enjoying themselves on the trails

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I’d put that down to an attempt to assert their status in the face of somebody who has an ability they don’t.

Do you really believe that?

konabunny
    Free Member

Fair enough if folk want to unicycle and juggle in public….it just looks a bit attention seeking…

Look at me, look at me, everyone!

yunki
    Free Member

If no-one is there to witness it, then did it actually happen.? (not me in the pic)

Innes
    Free Member

I don’t seem to get as much hassle when out unicycling as I used to. Maybe running a club at my kid’s school has created enough people who can ride a unicycle now, that it isn’t as much a big deal in our town?

My 11 year old gets really positive reactions when he is out on his unicycle, especially if he is off road. I find most people quite like seeing someone just riding along on a unicycle.

Innes

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘hating unicyclists – article in independent on sunday’ is closed to new replies.