Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)
  • hating bank holidays?
  • ton

anyone else?

i dont want to be off work when everyone else it. i want to go somewhere quiet, where there are no other folk. i dont want to be sat in **** traffic with everyone else.

i spend bank holiday weekends at home now, like a miserable old sod i am.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Must admit I hate how busy everywhere seems to be on bank hols too, will venture out to do a bit of food shopping shortly and then hide away from the world, hopefully being entertained by a decent snooker world final duel for most of the rest of the day… But not too late a finish I hope! 😛

Whether looks rubbish outside today, rain expected. Yet yesterday, when we had a family get-together that lasted all afternoon, lovely weather (albeit a bit chilly in the shadows). Felt really odd walking around Itchen Valley Country Park without my bike, as a random detour on the way home after lunch at the Harvester pub just north of Eastleigh.

flap_jack
    Free Member

+100

mikey74
    Free Member

I love them. Particularly as todays gives me the opportunity to get in some last minute revision before my first exam tomorrow.

It’s a holiday: It’s whatever you make it. If you choose to waste it then that’s your problem.

tetchypete
    Free Member

Luckily I have the option to work bank hols and take time off later on. Living in the Lakes it’s like being under siege sometimes on a bank holiday.

johnners
    Free Member

i dont want to be off work when everyone else it. i want to go somewhere quiet, where there are no other folk. i dont want to be sat in **** traffic with everyone else

It me.

br
    Free Member

Luckily I have the option to work bank hols and take time off later on.

Also here, and its pi55ing down so I’m at work 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s a holiday: It’s whatever you make it. If you choose to waste it then that’s your problem

+1

fasthaggis

It’s a holiday: It’s whatever you make it. If you choose to waste it then that’s your problem.

True dat, you get a load of warning about this May day thing,it’s not like you were ambushed.

ton

thing is, i dont find chilling at home a waste. when you ride every day like i do it is quite nice.
    i just hate having to have a day off when i would rather choose when to have one off myself.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

There’s loads of miserable bastards trudging round the lakes right now with faces like slapped arses, they should have gone to work too.

I’m in gonna be in front of the snooker this eve and shortly be out for aride with my boys. Bank holidays work for me

cranberry
    Free Member

No bank holiday here, but I grew up working every bank holiday and I’d happily work them now and get time off in lieu to take when it is more convenient.

andytherocketeer

We had a bank holiday Sunday

but we get a bank holiday Thursday too 🙂
    and weirdly the weather forecast says it’s going to be nice

PiknMix
    Free Member

I love bank holidays, just not when Monday is my day off anyway.

badnewz
    Free Member

I invariably fall ill on Bank Holidays, but I’d rather be in bed with a cold watching the snooker than gridlocked on the M25.

siwhite
    Free Member

I like the bank holidays when I’m working as I get double time – like today. £40/hr for sitting about surfing the internet and drinking tea is not to be sniffed at.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Love em’. more riding, more relaxing, more spending time out of the office.

We need more, we need a lot more, Bank Holidays.

😀

boblo
    Free Member

This is the first bank holiday I’ve been at home for ages. We usually go to France or further. Last trip (easter) was a traffic congested abortion. The chunnel was backed up for hours and it was major aggro getting back.

This time, I just couldn’t be arsed. I’ve done very little over the weekend. A bit of house and boik maintenance, no riding and lots of reading.

It’s been quite enjoyable. 😉

timraven

Working here, well there’d be a riot if I shut the pub on a bank holiday. Rain forces everyone inside for a beer too, so just a short surf and back to it. 😀

zippykona

Our weekend is Sunday and Monday ,so can everyone stop gate crashing our day off.

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s been a very miserable bank holiday here, tweaked something in the back of my calf bowling in the nets last evening and been hobbling around all day in agony 🙁

mrsfry
    Free Member

Hate BH waist of time having them on Monday, should be Friday instead

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Working at the local tip,you don’t get bank holidays off as it our busiest time with everyone doing the gardens and DIY !
    I don’t mind as I take the lieu day when I want and its quieter to do stuff 🙂

notsospeedydaz
    Free Member

I’ve sat in traffic, been to b and q. Two garden centres in the sun shine what’s to hate. After I’d been out on my bike first thing in the rain

mikey74
    Free Member

I think there should be at least one bank holiday per week :mrgreen:

martinhutch

Didn’t I see you on Oxen Fell on Saturday, Ton? Or is it just BH Monday which is a pain in the arse?

willard

Any day that I have to spend more time at home than is absolutely necessary is a bad one. It’s why I spend so much time at work and then go to the gym.

Living with someone that I hope to be divorced from in the near future is a frickign nightmare. It’s not even 5 and I’ve already had drunken abuse from her.

cranberry
    Free Member

Is it a bank holiday on Thurs as well in the UK this week ?

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Works for me (here in Lake Como) 😀

jekkyl

My bike’s in the lbs till Wednesday so no riding for me this weekend. I’ve had a great time though, my 5yr old played Lego all morning while the wife n I watched the Revenant, great movie. After lunch I took the girl swimming while the wife (2 weeks from due date) rested. Tesco ont way home for a curry n some budweiser, which I am now supping, Cheers all.

Drac

i dont want to be off work when everyone else it. i want to go somewhere quiet, where there are no other folk. i dont want to be sat in **** traffic with everyone else.

Yeah weekends are shit.

milky1980
    Free Member

Hate having them off, everyone else is out doing stuff and gets in my way 👿

Always try and work them to get the lieu day for when I want, work a lot of weekends if I can too. Days off midweek are so much more productive.

Rorschach
    Free Member

/\ x100

grey

Only saw one other rider on my local trails today, I think everyone else was working 😯 .

binners

You really are a miserable bunch of bastards! And you don’t know you’re bloody born!

Back in the Day (TM) I used to work behind the bar at the Hacienda. Bank holiday weekend meant one thing. Sunday night I’d be working the Flesh all-nighter. The biggest gay night in the country. You’d be on your feet for 12 hours, serving drinks to a club chock-full of people who’d make the village people look like a bridge evening at the local rotary club. The word deabauchery is thrown around too liberally nowadays IMHO. All I’m saying is that what is seen can never be unseen.

This is what I felt like by 9am on Bank Holiday Monday morning….

Nowadays I sometimes look back at those days, have a little cry, remember what my therapist told me, and then just enjoy the rest of the weekend .

Cheer up you Misanthropic sods 😀

Duggan

I welcome any day off work but I know what you mean- I went out for a road ride early doors this morning but wouldn’t ever consider going mountain biking on a sunny bank holiday, way too many people out. Having said that it pissed it down today but you see my point!

nickc

I’ve had a lovely day thanks, lie in, train to Manc, morning in the Art Gallery, wee browse of the shiny things in the shops, coffee and a sandwich in my fav cafe, and a happy chance meeting with well know mountain bike guide and trouser mogul and a swift pint…

Best Monday in a long time 😀

yossarian
    Free Member

You miserable buggers.

I had a nice long ride today. Parts of the NDW were heaving with walkers but it was fun. I got cheered up a big bastard climb, shared a joke or two with most of them (always one sour faced git isn’t there), got rained on, bonked badly 15 miles from home and rolled back in a right state 😀

Kids are having a Harry Potter marathon this afternoon, Mrs is out at aikido training and I’m sat on the sofa eating my way back to health.

Better than working for someone else.

ton

Didn’t I see you on Oxen Fell on Saturday, Ton?

no, not me i am afraid. not been on the bike since thursday. having a rest prior to going touring next week.
    i wont be a miserable bastard for the next 2 weeks then…….. 😀

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Well my bank hol Monday took an unexpected turn…

Went down to garage to feed fish and grab the Wazoo wheels (to fit the JJs tyres and FR tubes indoors while watching the snooker). Except silly me took off my jumper, where I had placed my keys before starting the bike dismantling, then as I closed the garage padlock “Oh ******!”

Better half was working, but fortunately her mum lives on the same road, so I turned up on her doorstep with my fat wheelset and my track pump asking for shelter for a couple of hours! 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘hating bank holidays?’ is closed to new replies.