Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Has anyone bought a 29er and regretted it?
  • coolhandluke
    Free Member

Just wondering like because I fancy giving the big wheelers a try.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Yes I know someone who has! He may well post up here .

MussEd
    Free Member

Bit soon for that I’d say. Everyone is still in the “totally lovin my new 29er, cant believe all bikes arent like this” phase…but surely they can’t all be great bikes. You get cack 26ers and it follows you’ll get cack 29ers.

Saying that the Trek Rumblefish looks tempting!

Dr_Bakes

You may be talking about me Munqe Chick, but actually I don’t regret it.

I tried a alloy hardtail 29er (Giant XTC) and didn’t get on with it but I think a lot of that was to do with comparing it to a carbon 5in full suss which I love.

I was looking for a bike for epics, racing and reduced maintenance winters but found I was quicker on the 26er on almost all the riding I do; found the carbon full suss so much more comfortable on long rides (predictably); and having two bikes just doubled the maintenance anyway. It depends what you are comparing it to and what kind of riding you want it for, so give it a go.

I sold mine (ex-demo) on before losing much money on it and consider that itch scratched…… for now. 😀

So:
    Do I regret giving it a go – no
    Was it for me – no
    Will it be right for you – maybe?

tetsujin
    Free Member

See, I have the other side of that story, I bought above Giant XTC 29er and am totally in love with it for riding.

As I came from a light 26 inched hard tail with 100mm up front to a light (we is now I have upgraded it) 29er HT with 100mm forks I find for me (at 6’2 its a better fit and I enjoy riding the bike more and feel a lot more confident on it than I did the 26 wheeled bike.

I’m not saying all 29ers will ride great or give someone of similar size the same results but for ME its just works and I am sure I will try other 29ers in the future that wont ride great compared to others but I haven’t had the need yet!

Maybe if your are replacing the bike with a similar spec/style 29er you may see a positive result for you as a rider but I guess its only important to YOU as a rider that you feel that it makes you faster/better/happier/cooler whatever, thats all that matters is the experience YOU get from riding.

Or you may hate it and stick to your old bike.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

I have been riding 29ers for 4 years now and my only regret is selling my big boingy 26″ bike as its 29er replacement is a little lacking due to limited fork & tyre choices but I’m sure this will improve in the future.

nuke

I moved back to just having 26ers having tried a 29er hardtail a couple of years ago. It wasn’t so much I didn’t enjoy riding it or consciously decided it wasn’t right for me, it was more that I just moved on to other bikes that happened to be 26er. I’m considering another 29er frame at the moment because that’s what I fancy buying next but I’m not expecting some riding epiphany if I do get it…just another bike that hopefully will be fun to ride.

cynic-al
    Free Member

My Unit was a dog, my Rig was lovely, flogged both until I saw a purpose (over and above my 26er) – monstercross & touring.

Dr_Bakes

Glad it works for you tetsujin. Although there’s not much of the bike I sold you left in that picture!

I bet the new wheels have lightened it up considerably.

emac65
    Free Member

Had an Inbred 29er for the best part of 4 years now,it’s in pieces in the garage,hasn’t been used once this year & has only been used a couple of times since last years Dyfi….It felt great at first(well,maybe just different),but I kept my 26″ wheeled bikes,so once the novelty wore off & I started using them again. I realised they were better in pretty much every single way for me….Have had goes on a few other 29ers & I’m still of the same opinion,26ers are better for me…
    EDIT – I don’t get the size thing either I’m a tad over 6’1″ & have never felt smaller wheels bikes are too little for me…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bit soon for that I’d say. Everyone is still in the “totally lovin my new 29er, cant believe all bikes arent like this”

They’ve been available for 10+ years now!

As for the OP, what kind of “big wheeler”? They’re not all the same, just as if a newbie bought a 29er as their first bike, you wouldn’t tell them a 26er is better and expect them to come to the next XC ride on a 224? I really rate my Swift for XC/singletrack riding, it’s brilliant, but, so are a lot of 26″ bikes. And I don’t subscribe to the “we’ve made it handle just like our 26″ bike” school of design, it’s different, it always will be, and that’s why it’s better at somethings, but not others.

If you meant “I fancy a 100mm hardtail, and considdering a 29er” which seems to be the main ‘niche’ they’ve excelled in then i’d say the following:
    1) they feel more comfortable
    2) they feel faster (as the ground feels smoother, so you pedal more)
    3) they feel like a short travel FS 26er, but at the same time, they feel like a hardtail, don’t buy an XC race bike and expect it to replace your 5″ trail FS.
    4) they really suffer on ridiculously steep techy sections, as there’s no getting away from the higher COG of the bike and foreward weight bias (result of the chaisntays and steep head angles).

singlespeedstu

Do 29ers come in different flavours now then?

I thought they were all the same apart from the colour.

emac65
    Free Member

Most of them come with the, oh look at me with my big wheeled MTB,I’m so different aren’t I , attitude built into them……. 8)

cynic-al
    Free Member

They are stu – but only alu vs steel vs ti vs carbon – all expamples of each being the same.

Most of them come with the, oh look at me with my big wheeled MTB,I’m so different aren’t ?I attitude built into them…….

Like how 26ers come with the “I don’t like change” attitude? 😉

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

4) they really suffer on ridiculously steep techy sections, as there’s no getting away from the higher COG of the bike and foreward weight bias (result of the chaisntays and steep head angles).

Strangely, thats where I think certain 29ers excel as the front wheel has less stalling and feels more confident on very steep stuff.

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

Do 29ers come in different flavours now then?

No, just Marmite flavour.

Dr_Bakes

I largely agree TINAS, particularly with:

They’re not all the same

However despite thinking the XTC I tried would be faster, more comfortable and better for racing than *my* 5″ FS this was not actually the case (obviously all 26er 5″ FS’s are not the same either!).

I really fancy giving a Swift a go in the future as it happens but for now I’m happy!

emac65
    Free Member

Like how 26ers come with the “I don’t like change” attitude?

Read up a bit 🙄

cupra
    Free Member

To answer the original question, yes, 3 times!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

As for the OP, what kind of “big wheeler

Thinking of a Surly Karate Monkey with a view to Alfine it when I get some more money saved up

Toasty

The CoG alone won’t make you rotate over the front wheel tho will it, if you had a huge 2 meter wheel and went down something steep you’d never rotate over the front of it. If you went down the hill on a skateboard you’d be over the front instantly.

It’s the CoG in relation to the front wheel axle, which is LOWER for 29ers, everything else the same you should be less likely to go over the front.

tetsujin
    Free Member

Yeah, changed quite a lot actually. 🙂

Think the only thing left is the front tyre and the rear mech, forks and handlebar.

rootes1

wish i had got a full sus 29er rather than just a hardtail now..

Daisy_Duke
    Free Member

Changed from 140mm full suss to carbon h’tail 29er with 80mm travel. Never looked back. I’m not a big trail centre rider and I’ve not tried a full suss 29er as yet.

cynic-al
    Free Member

emac65 – Member
    Read up a bit

Might I find your sense of humour up there?

MussEd
    Free Member

Bit soon for that I’d say. Everyone is still in the “totally lovin my new 29er, cant believe all bikes arent like this”
    They’ve been available for 10+ years now!

yeah but the hype/coverage has only really ramped up over here more recently than that…dont get me wrong I’m 29er-curious.

My point was more with any new expensive thing it takes some nuts to admit you don’t really like it having shelled out a small fortune…

IA

My point was more with any new expensive thing it takes some nuts to admit you don’t really like it having shelled out a small fortune…

To balance this, I bought a cheap one in Jan, and have since upgraded nearly everything on it cos I like it more each ride…. should really advertise the bits.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Strangely, thats where I think certain 29ers excel as the front wheel has less stalling and feels more confident on very steep stuff.

Agreed, I’m thinking of really steep stuff though, the local trail pixies at guisbrough have a hard-on for builiding trails near verticaly down the slope (and it’s a steep slope), if you’ve been, stuff like stripes, folow me, the drop from the first (or is it technicaly second) section of Nomad, and the road crossing on the chute. For anyone who’s not ridden, they’re basicly as steep as the ground can be, generaly with a step halfway down meaning theres a choice between being airborne or vertical. I’ve never ridden anywhere with trails so steep!

Toasty

You’d rather ride that on a 26″ hardtail than a 29er? Not digging, just curious, felt a lot more safe on my 29er so far 🙂 Riding a Scandal with 100mm Rebas which slackens it out a bit though I guess.

robowns
    Free Member

Atleast we can all agree, 26ers or 29ers, aslong as its not fatbikes its ok.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You’d rather ride that on a 26″ hardtail than a 29er?

Yep,

TheFopster
    Free Member

I needed a second (cheap) bike to leave behind where I am working away from home. Couldn’t see the point buying something I already had so just got a Voodoo 29er off ebay. Two rides so far and no regrets, but not the magic pixie dust that small minoriity seem to think.

No way it feels like a “short travel full susser” – it is another hard tail albeit a fast rolling one. It didn’t make me magically quicker, though being tall-ish it does seem to fit really well and steers brilliantly.

All in all it will make a nice change to ride during the week when I am away but I”ll be happily back on a full susser at the weekend.

Of course a full suss 29er might be good…

Basil

XTC 29Er last year,much more comfy than Scandal. Believe it rolls better.
    Now got a Fargo and it is the most comfortable thing I have ridden.
    Fat and 6’1″ the 29er thing is a notifiable improvement for me

bigdugsbaws
    Free Member

No way it feels like a “short travel full susser”

You believed that pish?

It didn’t make me magically quicker

Really? 🙄

cynic-al
    Free Member

robowns – Member

LOL…open mindedness with caveats?

singlespeedstu

Funny that as all my fatbike tyres have 26″ stamped on the side of them.

You’ve got me all confused as to if i should ride it or not now. 😕
    I don’t think i could handle the shame of riding a bike that’s not recomended by the STW experts.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Has anyone bought a 29er and regretted it?’ is closed to new replies.