Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Hardtail – £1000 mark, suitable for 5' 4" person with low standover
  • agentdagnamit
    Free Member

We’re choosing Ms AD’s insurance replacement. She has some back problems, so usually rides a FS bike other than on the work commute on road.

But, for the odd 2 or 3 hour ride after work (Bristol), some night rides and gentle stuff, we’re going to replace the stolen Rockhopper with something similar.

Bikes in this range seem to have a lot of XC30 and XC32 forks which look suspiciously cheap. I’m a bit behind the times, last time I looked at “budget” hardtails you could get a decent frame with 100mm Bombers for £500.

We might go for something off the shelf and upgrade the forks, depends on what options are out there. Idea?

As a side question, I wonder how much difference a steel frame and some 2.3 or bigger tyres woudl make to the sore back issue? Any thoughts?

binners

If she’s had back problems then steel would make more sense. I’ve just got an Orange Pure 7 and I love it. Its a completely different animal from the last hardtail I had – an ultra-rigid Pace RC305. There’s so much more ‘give’ in it. None of the jarring of an alloy frame

They’ve got them discounted at stif here

The Steel Kona Blink is also discounted at JE James. Looks like a lot of bike for your money

here

RustyMac

They’ve got them discounted at stif here

looks like discontinued 😥

paulscycles had a 2010 giant arete at a decent price, well within budget but it is an alu frame

http://www.paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s163p2715

binners

Boo hiss. I’ve found a discounted one here though. In 15″ frame as well

Pure 7

kimbers

crc’s kona sale have some bargains and konas have good standover even in the mens

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

Orange Diva? Alu’ though.

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, now looking at spending a bit more and getting a Ragley Piglet.

Tried a Diva and it was too short, which is often the problem with womens specific bikes for her.

treefeller
    Free Member

Merlin’s Malt 1 is very “soft” at the back, plus you get a proper fork.

br
    Free Member

If she’s back problems, surely you are better just buying an FS?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

HT for a 3 mile commute to work and “long way home” rides. Also, where I live, it isnt smart to be seen riding a decent FS bike regularly.

alexpalacefan

14″ On One? Love my 456.

APF

avdave2

Kona Kula for £850 at CRC and available in 14″.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Above Kona kula with a suspension seatpost.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Hardtail – £1000 mark, suitable for 5' 4" person with low standover’ is closed to new replies.