• This topic has 86 replies, 56 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by ton.
Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)
  • Hard riding on your own…
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Between work, missus and kids I'm glad of the peace and tranquility that solo riding affords. The odd clanking noise, stone on steel, the buzz of the tyres, birdsong/howling winds/raindrops dripping from trees, clicking knees, it's a symphony of solitude. On unknown trails I take it easy, the better i know a trail the more i let rip*.

*Within the boundaries of my abilities, natch.

Ti29er
    Free Member

"I am anti-social so think it is good for me to ride with others."
    Care in the Community at work!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

I ride faster on my own if not harder. I love going at my pace and not having to worry about waiting for people. That said I like the challenge of playing keep-up with the better/faster riders.

What I don't like is rides that are stop-and-start, which is usually associated with group rides. The before-and-after banter are great on a group ride, but as a parent of young kiddies I don't really get chance for the post-ride pint and chat.

On the road bike I definitely prefer riding by myself. Peace, solitude and reflection and totally, totally relaxing.

So, er, a bit of both for me then 😀

allyharp

Both.

I ride on my own 99% of the time but find group rides very enjoyable. Usually for me that's a group of 4 or less, so faff is fairly minimal and it's good to get some conversation. It's also reassuring that getting lost in a group or getting injured won't be quite as bad.

However I don't know people who are quite as willing as me to spend time heading down paths that could quite easily become dead ends, and more generally just explore. And depending who you're with they sometimes don't want to do something as technical as you; or they aren't quite so willing to go on an average ride just for the nice scenery.

singletrackhor
    Free Member

both, more solo in winter as its quite a distance to ride to meet points.
    enjoy group rides/jump sessions too, banter a bit of laughter and some encouragement goes a long way.

pint after the ride aint so much fun on your own

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What I don't like is rides that are stop-and-start, which is usually associated with group rides.

I'm grateful for the chance to rest 🙂

ton

i love big group rides, and meeting new faces.
    it is what biking is about…..even meeting barnes wasn't too bad. 😉

Viewing 7 posts - 81 through 87 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Hard riding on your own…’ is closed to new replies.