Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)
  • Happy St George's Day
  • mrmoofo

Being a jock by birth, I thought I wold take the opportunity to wish you all the above …
    And hope that , one day, England and it’s pubs will give this day as much attention as they do St Paddy’s Day!
    And also sieze it back from the EDL!

monkeychild
    Free Member

And give us a bank holiday 😀

mrmoofo

And why not?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Lifer
    Free Member

mrmoofo – Member
    And also sieze it back from the EDL!

This was sunday:

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

*Doffs bowler hat and tips umbrella in your direction

votchy
    Free Member

Happy St. Georges Day indeed

totalshell

Flags on car today..!!

totalshell

Flags on car today..!!

mrmoofo

Hi Lifer,

I live in Brighton – and had to put up with that stuff on Sunday. The EDL turnout was woeful.
    However, ironically the far right behaved far better than the far left did, with the protesters starting the fights and throwing missiles.

Hardley the moral high ground – the protesters at Maggie’s bash had decorum, on Sunday they were just a baying mob of yobs.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

And to you sir; you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Pigface
    Free Member

Greek wasn’t he? 😆

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the far right behaved far better than the far left did

Whilst the English Defence League might well be described as far right why do you assume that those opposed to the EDL are necessarily far left ? Did you discuss their politics with them ?

According to ITV News : “Many local people turned out in force to express the disdain for the group’s anti-Islamic views”

EDL marchers ‘not welcome’ in Brighton

And the English Disco Lovers in the video in that link don’t appear to be “a baying mob of yobs” as you claim.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

St Patrick’s day was a very clever marketing campaign from Guinness, that’s all, that has turned into a giant piss up. I’d rather have a nice quiet St Andrews day anytime!.

Cougar

What if you don’t like golf?

mrmoofo

Whilst the English Defence League might well be described as far right why do you assume that those opposed to the EDL are necessarily far left ? Did you discuss their politics with them ?

According to ITV News : “Many local people turned out in force to express the disdain for the group’s anti-Islamic views”

EDL marchers ‘not welcome’ in Brighton

And the English Disco Lovers in the video in that link don’t appear to be “a baying mob of yobs” as you claim. sorry Ernie,

Didn’t realise that you were there?

I’m sure some local people did turn out – I never said they didn’t. TBH, most didn’t give a stuff, were really pissed of the march happening, and didn’t know why we had to suffer it.

Re the far left. I was just going from the flyers posted in the city centre before Sunday and the organisations who posted them.

And I don’t understand your last point? I am a long way from supporting theb EDL or anything the stand for. So go a pick a fight with someone else

grum
    Free Member

Re the far left. I was just going from the flyers posted in the city centre before Sunday and the organisations who posted them.

Surely with your ‘left-of-centre’ views you felt some solidarity with them anyway. 😆

mrmoofo

Surely with your ‘left-of-centre’ views you felt some solidarity with them anyway.

No, beacuse they were way too many teachers in the crowd. And I have a one man vendetta against them 😆
    I have a very strong sympathy with the anti- racism agenda. However, I’m not too sure stirring the pot with pond-life is very constructive TBH – the best thing to do with the EDL is not legitimise their self importance

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don’t understand your last point?

Well its all fairly clear I would have thought. The people in the video don’t match your description of events.

And personally I found the more measured report of the event by ITV News more believable than one by someone who uses Daily Mail headline language and talks of “a baying mob of yobs”.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

St Patrick’s day was a very clever marketing campaign from Guinness, that’s all, that has turned into a giant piss up. I’d rather have a nice quiet St Andrews day anytime!.

Just to put the perpetuation of this myth to rest, St. Patrick’s Day has been celebrated the world over for years and years. Long before Guinness got involved. You have your quiet St. Andrea’s day if you must. We’ll be kicking back, having a day off and having a ball on ours. 😀

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I raise my cup of tea to my fellow English Gentleman and give you all a small nod.

That is enough

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

the best thing to do with the EDL is not legitimise their self importance

Because of course the best way to deal with bigotry is to ignore it. That strategy works so well, doesn’t it?

Lifer
    Free Member

Indeed Ro5ey, indeed. I bid you good day.

I SAID GOOD DAY!

patriotpro
    Free Member

Good call: Happy Saint George’s Day! 8)

mrmoofo

Well its all fairly clear I would have thought. The people in the video don’t match your description of events.

And personally I found the more measured report of the event by ITV News more believable than one by someone who uses Daily Mail headline language and talks of “a baying mob of yobs”.

Ernie – were you there?
    So your choice of media source is better than a) real life b) anyone elses. What did Sky, BBC, or Al Jazeera have to say about issue?
    Was the video the whole day – or just a few selected bit? TBH can’t be arsed to watch it. Unfortunately, the protesters started the missile throwing when everyone was corraled up at the sea life centre. Up until than point, it was just football ground stuff.

Daily Mail Titles – like what ?? Happy St George’s Day. It was a genuine post – I would like England to celebrate it’s Englishness – much as Ireland and Scotland do.

I’m not sure why you are beginning a personal vendetta with me – but that is your choice. Maybe you need to get out more

cranberry
    Free Member

Before this thread is lost to the tedious and trolling I’d like to wish a tip top day to all chaps and chapesses from beautiful England.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

@mrmoofo. I choose not to believe someone who uses emotive language such as “a baying mob of yobs”, and by their own admission “can’t be arsed to watch” a video report by ITV News. Get over it 💡

yossarian
    Free Member

the best thing to do with the EDL is not legitimise their self importance

I disagree with this. The best thing to do is confront them and their beliefs when and wherever you find them. When they are in ones and twos they aren’t very vocal funnily enough. It’s only when a bunch of them get together and drink fizzy beer that they need squashing. And a variety of different groups are very adept at it, good thing too. Unfortunately the only thing the EDL bow to is a bit of fear, so that’s what the anti fascists give them.

Anyway St George’s Day. It’s not been taken from us by anyone. It’s ours to celebrate and enjoy in whatever way we see fit. I shall be on the beach at midday raising a glass of honest English ale to the dragon slayer and to all the proud people of my country.

mrmoofo

Because of course the best way to deal with bigotry is to ignore it.

Boy, am I trying

Last comment – can’t be arsed because a) you are hi-jacking a thread to feed your ego b) I saw enough on BBC/ Sky/ BBC / local and ITV at the w/e. I’m sure it will not show me anything more …

Feel free to start a “I hate MrMoofo” thread, and post all day long

Anyway St George’s Day. It’s not been taken from us by anyone. It’s ours to celebrate and enjoy in whatever way we see fit. I shall be on the beach at midday raising a glass of honest English ale to the dragon slayer and to all the proud people of my country.

Great 8)

Lifer
    Free Member

Why so serious? Epidemic of VERY SERIOUS POSTS over the last few days. Strange.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

DD – maybe the case in Ireland. But in the uk the only reason more people can tell you when Paddys day is, than their own respective day of patronage, is purely down to the black stuff.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Lifer … post Maggie ranting come down… they have to wean themselves off slowly. 🙄

molgrips
    Free Member

Who?

tonyd

Happy St Georges day folks. I’m going to go and make a cup of proper (builders) tea to celebrate, question is which biscuit should I go for?

Something understated, certainly.
    Traditional, without a doubt.
    Rich Tea? Custard Cream?
    Decisions decisions, I might have to start another thread…..

Lifer
    Free Member

What biscuit for St Georges Day?

Surely Turkish Delight would be more appropriate?

*Runs away giggling*

molgrips
    Free Member

How many of you know without googling who St George actually was?

mrmoofo

Yeahbut ….
    The reason why England adopted the St George Cross etc has an interesting heritage – tied up in deal with Genovese pirates (Genoa as St George as it patron saint and the St Georges cross as it’s flag) and ensuring safety at sea …
    Might be an urban myth, of course

Now, St George may well not be English but St Andrew was hardly Scotiish, was he!

skeetsgb
    Free Member

happy ST Georges day to you. always a good day to be English .

MrWoppit
    Free Member

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

@ molgrips foudn myself talking back to the R2 breakfast show yesterday as the sports presenter, who is of Greek descent, was asked who the patron saint of Greece was…

Anyway – Happy St Georges day to my English cousins may we be united in our disagreements!

BTW St Andrew’s day isn’t really that big a gig up here don’t know why people think it is? I don’t get a day off or nowt and there are scarce few big events or dinners, so to speak. Burns’ is more widely celebrated and quite rightly so!

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

From Wiki:

Many Patronages of Saint George exist around the world, including: Georgia, England, Egypt, Aragon, Catalonia, Romania, Ethiopia, Greece, India, Iraq, Israel, Lithuania, Portugal, Serbia, Ukraine and Russia, as well as the cities of Genoa, Amersfoort, Beirut, Boto?ani, Drobeta Turnu-Severin, Timi?oara, Fakiha, Cáceres, Ferrara, Freiburg im Breisgau, Kragujevac, Kumanovo, Lebanon, Ljubljana, Pérouges, Pomorie, Preston, Qormi, Rio de Janeiro, Lod, Lviv, Barcelona, Moscow and Victoria, as well as of the Scout Movement[3] and a wide range of professions, organizations and disease sufferers.

Some airmiles this George dude eh?

I wonder how many Aethists are posting up here today?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Happy St George's Day’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts