Home Forums Bike Forum Hammer (schmidt) Time!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Hammer (schmidt) Time!
  • sunnrider
    Free Member

I just got offered some Hammerschmidt cranks for 275€
    They´re used 3 or 4 rides and the owner didn´t like them/didn´t give them a chance. He´s trustworthy, longtime forum user (here in the Basque Country).

Does this sound like a good deal?
    I´ve no idea what 2nd hand prices are for these, haven´t seen many around.
    I´m fed up dropping chains and not being able to get to the right gear after a downhill bit (lack of skills, i know).

chakaping

Sorry if this is a daft question, but have you already tried a chain device?

Feedback and reviews of the Hammerschnizzle have left me with the impression that it’s a bit heavy and draggy.

doug_basqueMTB.com

sunnrider, I think I know who you are and if you would like to borrow an E13 DRS (dual ring chain device) then you are welcome to for a bit to see if you like it.

I know nothing about Hammerschmidt so I’m afraid I can’t offer any advice on that!

knottinbotswana
    Free Member

I was expecting a thread about concrete.

showerman
    Free Member

have a hammer on my canyon torque yes there is a draging issue when using the over drive but i do not notice it.love riding it and would buy another one.you have to change the way you pedal and change gear if you get the way it works then you make it work for you very quickly.

messiah
    Free Member

Front mechs are shite for good fun riding… hammerschmizzle or 1*blah.

I love the HS on my big bike, but I like spinning low gears. Some drag in the overdrive but you only feel it when pushing hard… so just click down out of it and click down the block at the back.

Top of a gnar descent… drop the hammer… when you stall or come to a wee techy bit or climb click the hammer again and twiddle out… awesome.

grantway
    Free Member

Probably a good idea where your riding but with good descents you’ll only need 9 speed

neilforrow

akira

I love my Hammerschmidt, there is a slight drag and it’s not light but it’s not on a lightweight bike and the drag is something I can live with. The instant changing is very nice and you’ll never drop a chain. Now when I look at bikes/frames I see whether they will work with a Hammerschmidt, be aware that it suits some suspension designs better than others.

twohats
    Free Member

I thought Hammerschmidt had died a death with the arrival of 10 speed!
    I’ll just stick with my single ring and a decent spread of gears out back, thank you very much…

sunnrider
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice.
    You wouldn´t get far round here on just a single ring imho.

Doug, cheers for the offer but I´ve managed to talk the guy down to 200€ so I think I´ll go for it. I´d get more than that for my cranks, TA rings and the Hope bb anyway.

As for the weight issue, I take very little notice of it, already have dual ply tubeless tires and a reverb on the frame so no point sweating another half kilo.
    I know that it´ll suit the bike, lots of ransoms shipped with them fitted so I´ll look forward to a bit of a fettle when it arrives.
    Any dos or don´ts for fitting it?

messiah
    Free Member

Beware the thick grease if you ride in the cold. For the winter I run it with Pedro Synlube oil instead to help it shift smooth… but I’m way up north.

coffeeking
    Free Member

But by far my fave in that pic is the guy pretending to be a spade-face.

messiah
    Free Member

I snapped off the chainguide which damaged the threads in the body. No problem as the chain still won’t fall off… but its better for cleaning without it as you can pop the chain off easy to scrape out the compacted mud… which sometimes builds up in certain dubby conditions.

I run a very short Saint rear mech which is ace.

Cable needs to be clean as the spring force is light. If the hammer don’t work its usually the cable which being down low and exposed can get a little gritty.

Enjoy dropping the hammer.

One last thing… watch the sram YouTube stuff and learn to say it like Herbold… 😛

sunnrider
    Free Member

…anyone got a sram shortcage mech for sale?

ooOOoo
    Free Member

mmmmmmm…..changing gears when stationary 🙂

Chainline
    Free Member

Like messiah, I love mine, wouldn’t be without it and anywhere with proper climbs, I don’t think single ring will do. Widespread signle ring has been around for years, 36 is no bloody different to 34, if you can drag 32/34/36/38 fronts with a 34 you can with a 36.

I also run a short cate saint and 11-27 rear block, lighter, close ratio.

If you compare it to the same spread of gears you have to compare a double/bash/chain guide/long cage mech/wide cassette and the weight differences become fairly small, 150g or so my 11-27 cassette is 130g, even XX 10spd is 208g and their stoooopid money, STD XT is nearer 400 11-36, that’s a lot of weight for a reduced spread.

Then you have the instant change, awesome coming over crests or out of hollows 🙂

They are also bullet proof and a piece of piss to service with massive ground clearance. I think the drag is very minimal, less than a super tacky reear 😉

Unless your a total weight weenie you’ll love it and €200 is very cheap for a €650 crank 🙂

Kbrembo
    Free Member

If you don’t take it pass the details to me!

Chainline
    Free Member

Dos and don’s DO face the ISCG mount. 22/36 is a nice ratio to run, rather than the 24/38.

Other than that enjoy…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Hammer (schmidt) Time!’ is closed to new replies.