Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Hairline fracture of the radius bone at the elbow end. Recovery times?
  • mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lassoing field stones from the trailer with a strop yesterday, the strop slipped and I fell over backwards onto a boulder. Trying to save by dicky back I put out my arm to break my fall. The unbent arm took the full force at my elbow

By tea time the pain was excruciating so I went to A&E. They diagnosed a hairline fracture in my radius bone at the elbow end. They said a three to six week recovery was likely with my arm in a sling.

Has anyone else suffered this injury? How realistic is the anticipated recovery time?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I always get told 6-8 weeks for bone breaks and seems to hold true.

Watching the x-rays from my ankle fusion change over 3 – 6 months showed how slowly bone actually grows. I got told 9-12 months for the fusion to complete but I could walk on it without the boot on after 8 weeks (with crutches)

clockarockin
    Free Member

I had a very similar injury after a crash in the alps (luckily on the last run of the holiday so didn’t miss too much!!).

I was in a sling for 3 weeks, followed by 3 weeks of physio (simple daily exercises).

After which I was back out on the bike again but took it slow to start with and carried on the daily stretches for a few weeks after.

weeksy

I was turboing with the same after 2 weeks, lifting after 4 weeks. 8 weeks before MTBing.

midlifecrashes

My son did his on the first evening of the school summer hols a few years back, trying to land a trampoline bounce as a handstand. 🙄
    I think his sling stayed on until just before going back to school so yours sounds about right. Hope it wasn’t your whisky arm.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

lifting after 4 weeks

I barrowed a ton and a half of quarry chips immediately after the fall. Then it really started to hurt.

Flaperon

By tea time the pain was excruciating so I went to A&E. They diagnosed a hairline fracture in my radius bone at the elbow end. They said a three to six week recovery was likely with my arm in a sling.

You went to A&E while you were still alive?! Have you learned nothing from this place?

(Back on topic, commiserations. I did the same thing some years ago at uni and was just given a sling too. I was young and stupid and started using it again the moment the pain became bearable, which was within three weeks. So far it’s not caused any problems).

rankbadjin
    Free Member

Ye still managed to go shopping for bike bits before A&E though mcmoonter! Was wondering how ye’d got on at the Vic then came across your post. No valuable injury specific advice I’m afraid but make sure ye ca’ canny for a bit!

funkmasterp

I had a similar injury two years ago, although it was a big vertical fracture. As others have said, sling for three weeks, followed by taking it easy with lifting etc, then some physio.

benman
    Free Member

Had an almost identical injury. Rode at the Forest of Dean after about 6 weeks. Was okay, but still twinged for another few weeks.

WildHunter2009

Did this 15 mins into the first climb at Cwm Carn. Attempted to keep on riding until I couldnt move my hand anymore. Cue a friday night in the BRI. 6-8 weeks does sound about right.

SaxonRider

I don’t know how old you are, mcmoonter, but I am in my mid-40s, and would expect the higher end of the recommended number of weeks at least.

You wouldn’t want to set back the healing process by over-using it too soon.

lookmumnohands

Same as Weeksy for me but 2 things I would share from my experience:

1. get the sling off as soon as you can, it messes with the nerves and muscles in your neck and opposite shoulder

2. when lifting use independent exercises (dumbell press rather than bench press) to avoid straining the opposite side by subconsciously compensating for the weakness in the injured elbow

Get well!

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

About 8 weeks. My wife was very unimpressed as our second boy was a couple of weeks old. It got me out of night feeds for a bit though!

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Hairline fracture of the radius bone at the elbow end. Recovery times?’ is closed to new replies.