Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • GXP bottom brackets
  • KevinPP
    Free Member

Just gone through the 2nd Superstar BB in 6 months (non ceramic), and although they are great value, I’d rather not replace it every couple of months.
    Whats the best GXP BB in terms of value and performance at the moment? Is it worth spending out on a Hope and a converter or…??

mintimperial

I’ve been running a Hope with the converter kit for well over a year in rotten conditions. No sign of it giving up yet.

chojin
    Free Member

Have you had your frame chased and faced properly? It could be causing premature bearing wear…

KevinPP
    Free Member

Can’t say I have. Its on two different frames though. Original on one frame which I noticed was noisy with play in it when I stripped it, and then a new one in the new frame.

bruneep

Converter kit?

mudmonster
    Free Member

Gave a truvativ chainset away because of rubbish bottom brackets. If only I’d have known you could get a hope converter.

Simon

I had 2 Truvativ GXPs go in less than a year. Then switched to a Hope stainless that’s lasted over two years so far.

KevinPP
    Free Member

Converts Hope BB’s to take a GXP (Sram) crank. £8 at CRC

chiefgrooveguru

Hope with a converter still running well after three years on my lone MTB.

bruneep

Well well never knew they existed. Just replaced neighbours GXP BB. Hope BB for him next time then.

Every day a school day.

Although they are out of stock meantime.

Have you had your frame chased and faced properly? It could be causing premature bearing wear…

No it couldn’t

xherbivorex
    Free Member

another vote for hope with the gxp converter kit. outlasted their truvativ predecessors on both my bikes by a long way so far (6 months vs a couple of years).

orangeboy
    Free Member

Hope for me too. 18 months so far and all goin fine

KevinPP
    Free Member

Sounds like I’ll be spending a bit more than the cost of a Superstar one then…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

OP – they’re not great value; they don’t last! You’ve done better than me; the last one I bought off them survived one and a half rides! As others have said, the converters that slot into the a Hope BB are your solution. Now that’s good value 🙂

chojin
    Free Member

MidlandTrailquestsGraham – Member

No it couldn’t

I’m sorry, am I missing something?

The subject of BB facing comes up nearly as often as 26v29.
    I’ve yet to hear a sensible reason to do it. It’s one of those things that people repeat simply because they’ve heard other people repeat it so often.

mocha
    Free Member

and because it’s in the Shimano tech docs surely?

That’s the first time I’ve heard that. Have you got the link ?

Taff
    Free Member

Unfaced bb shell shouldn’t have any affect on the GXP if in reading the blurb right. Shimano is a different set up causing side loading on the bearings which if the bearings aren’t square will cause an issue. Went through an xt bb in two weeks due to not facing it then had it done and it lasted 2years. Not sure on gxp yet. Just done a year on one bb (team) so will see how the next one goes

Taff
    Free Member

Mocha – I read that too. Just chucked out a sheet tonight. It’s funny as the SRAM stuff tells you not to face it as the bb will become too short. Don’t know why it’s so critical to be exactly 68 or 73. Don’t know if that accounts for the failure rating

Northwind

I’m not totally against the idea that facing might make a difference. It just won’t be a significant difference, when matched against the general ****ness of Truvativ BBs.

This is the one time i’m tempted to go Hope BB.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

My KM came with a Truvativ GXP – first time I’ve had anything other than a square taper BB. BB shell is faced but the first one lasted barely a year and the second is showing signs of wear at 6 months. For comparison the poverty spec Shimano square taper BB on my 1×1, which is ridden far harder has been on there for about 4 years and still solid as a rock.

Call be a luddite (you won’t be the first) but external bearing BBs seem like a classic case of a solution looking for a problem that didn’t exist in the first place.

Northwind

Don’t just all external BBs by Truvativ standards- they also make terrible internal BBs. Isoflow, as far as I can tell, was specifically designed just to make Isis look good.

I’m still using shimano square taper in the commuter but I’ve no problems at all with Shimano external BBs either, always a bit mystified how some people seem to kill them so fast (well, actually, I reckon it’s mostly overtightening, they don’t like it at all and mountain bikers love overtightening things…)

mintimperial

but external bearing BBs seem like a classic case of a solution looking for a problem that didn’t exist in the first place.

Depends on your definition of problem. The indestructible nature of cheapo square-taper cartridge BBs is a problem if you are, say, an accountant looking at ways of increasing profit for component manufacturers…

nutsnvolks
    Free Member

My stumpy came with gxp I replaced it after a couple of months and the new one didn’t last any longer! Think they are made from cheese! I then converted to shimano external BB and changed crankset ect and its still going strong 1 year later with some serious abuse in the alps and here!

argoose
    Free Member

I seen a company called uberbike components do a version of the gxp for £37.
    Anyone tried theirs?

BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

I’ve been running a Hope with the converter kit for well over a year in rotten conditions. No sign of it giving up yet.

This

stevious

Hope went in my wife’s bike after some seriously short-lived GXPs. Already outlasted the last one by 2x the distance ridden.

jonwe
    Free Member

+2 hope

I cleared out the shed recently and found 7 knackered superstar and truvativ gxp bbs. Average life circa 4 months at 20-30 miles of mud per week.

I put hopes on both my bikes a year ago and no problems since.

To be fair to superstar, they do honour their 1 year guarantee.

Elmo
    Free Member

Try *ahem* Halfords.

I’ve just bought one, Just over £20 but you get 20% off if your reserve online. Genuine one too.
    My original lasted a couple of years so i mustn’t grumble.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I found by buying a new SLX crankset for £100 inc BB, I saved money on those terrible GXP BB’s within a year. Got a new set of chainrings into the bargain.

teasel
    Free Member

Depends on your definition of problem. The indestructible nature of cheapo square-taper cartridge BBs is a problem if you are, say, an accountant looking at ways of increasing profit for component manufacturers…

Indeed. I can imagine him scribbling a few ideas himself and presenting them to the board…

Accountant-san : Whaddya think ?

Big S : But you’re an account!

Accountant-san
    : Exactly…

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘GXP bottom brackets’ is closed to new replies.