Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • GXP Bottom Bracket Drive Side Bearing……
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So mine has decided to grumble – can I replace the bearing and what size is it?

If not, is there anyone makes a reliable GXP B/B as this one is less than 12 months old and I only get out once a week if I’m lucky?

jekkyl

The standard answer is get a hope BB and the adapter. GXP bb’s are notoriously bad at running out, I used an O rubber ring round the axle to keep the top hat hard up against the bearing.

butlerjamesp
    Free Member

PF30/BB30?

Del

the OP said GXP so I’d guess not.

there are some good deals around on SLX cranksets at the mo OP…

welshfarmer

I have successfully changed both bearings in a GXP BB for Enduro ones. The NDS one is a bit of a special one but the drive side is off the shelf. You may need to prize out a spring clip before pressing them out. Depends on your BB

I have seen 2 different internal diameter bearings used too so you need to be careful. On one BB the bearing was a direct fit on the axle of the cranks. On another the bearing was 1mm larger than the axle and had a thin plastic top-hat which went into it before the axle did and helped with sealing.

deadkenny
    Free Member

GXP Team is £20, may as well replace the lot than faff with replacing one bearing.

Personally my GXPs last a good couple of years.

Tips…

Put an o-ring on the drive side in the gap between the dust cap and crank. That will stop the cap drifting out and letting crud in.

Tighten the crank nut to the torque specified. It’s a huge amount, and a lot of issues are down to people just doing up by hand thinking it’s enough torque.

Don’t pressure wash the BB.

daveh
    Free Member

Quite impressed by the Uber GXP I received today (admittedly I’ve not used it yet!) – the bearings are standard 6805s and the top cap has a return on the outer diameter of its inner face such that it sleeves back over the outer race of the bearing (does that make any sense lol?!!). I intend to pack it with marine grease which should give the best seal of any external bottom bracket I’ve seen.

daveh
    Free Member

Like this:

chris_db
    Free Member

Thanks all!

I have a wavey washer on the drive side so should keep the dust cap in place. I shall consider my options after your advice!

🙂

gren
    Free Member

deadkenny – Member
    GXP Team is £20, may as well replace the lot than faff with replacing one bearing.

Personally my GXPs last a good couple of years

Mine’s starting to click after just over 2 years and just bought another to replace it. Like DK says, at £20 for 2 years it’s just easier to replace.

andyv
    Free Member
    Northwind

Token do one as well I think. TBH I don’t see the sense in buying an expensive BB to fix the GXP issue, unless they’re really nice cranks it’s probably better to replace them entirely.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

What is the difference between a GXP BB and a BB30 BB? Thinking about getting some SRAM XX1 cranks, but I don’t know if they’ll go into the BB I’ve currently got.

Candodavid
    Free Member

GXP is threaded, BB30 press fit

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Like daveh, I’ve got the Uberbike GXP version on my winter bike which is out in all weathers. No probelsm at all with it and I’d recommend it. Different colours available too 😛

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘GXP Bottom Bracket Drive Side Bearing……’ is closed to new replies.