Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Guy airlifted from cyb today
  • ampthill

Some one needs to design a camra or software tool that makes trails look a bit steeper

I know form my own photos that I’m proably looking at a steep obstical

But in the photo you just thinking I’d role down that on a folding bike with dodgy brakes

mightymarmite
    Free Member

I could add more saturation to the blood stains …

robhughes
    Free Member

That looks an absolute doddle.
    But it isn,t.
    That photo so so deceiving.
    looks like a disabled ramp 😉
    First time i rode this i nearly cacked myself.
    Just jumps out at you so quick.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mightymarmite
    Free Member

Ditto Rob, I was riding in the middle of a group of three, all I heard in front of me was a scream and a clatter, came out of the shade of the trees into bright sunlight as I realised what was ahead, tried to scrub off speed, twisted front wheel landing from the first lip, landed with a handful of rear brake and ended up making it half way down before dropping on to my hip for the rest of the journey (I blame the wet rocks … obviously not visible in the picture)

Hence the artistic camera shake …

popstar
    Free Member

In all honesty -Sunday warrior epic tales- could ruin CYB and other likes. Shame.

Euro
    Free Member

I’m sure the pic doesn’t do it justice, but that feature looks like a rocky hill, perhaps the ideal terrain for a mountain bike. If it’s a fast section of trail and there is a jump at the top then that is simply the landing ramp?

Klunk
    Free Member

that photo doesn’t look like false teeth looks more like the steep bit on pugsley. could be wrong though, just watched a youtube vid, I remember it being more open and exposed than that 😕

tracknicko
    Free Member

is a touch crazy i feel. i was razzing down their blind and from the top it looks massive. slid to an emergency stop, realised it wasnt big at all, went back up the trail about 10 ft, and still managed to drop it almost to flat.

god knows what would have happened if i’d hit it at my initial speed.

that said… KEEP IT IN!

too much trail sanitization is dull. couple of extra ‘big drop’ signs and it would be grand.

ilovemygears
    Free Member

that’s lame, trail centres are boring and lame

Trimix
    Free Member

Please lets keep the trails as they are, or tougher.

They are Black / Red run trail centers in Wales, they are meant to be hard and require lots of skill and concentration.

glenh
    Free Member

Euro – Member
    If it’s a fast section of trail and there is a jump at the top then that is simply the landing ramp?

It’s much steeper than that photo makes it look. Plus, if you jump from the top (or just ride over it at the speed you are likely to be going on that section of trail) you will land on the flat at the bottom (which is a probably 5m down).

Not that I’m saying it should be removed, but better warnings, or adjusting the preceding trail so you come into it slower will save a lot of accidents.

psychle
    Free Member

what ever happened to walking an unknown bit of trail before razzing down it? I always do this, or roll through it slowly the first time, doesn’t everyone?? pretty daft if you don’t, don’t you think?? 😕

tracknicko
    Free Member

sort of agree with the above. not to have a sighting run as such… but surely to ride at a speed where you can stop (even if it is a chaotic haul on the brakes to sideways kind of stop)

if you are genuinely going so fast that you cant stop your self going of the edge of something then you are either lying or completely out of control.

and also it aint 5 meters tall. 5 meters is HUGE. its 2. at the most.

glenh
    Free Member

That person in the picture at the top is probably 1.5m tall on the bike… I reckon at least 4m from the lip to the flat at the bottom. Certainly if you are standing at the bottom the top is way above your head. I’m not suggesting it’s really steep for that sort of height, but the drop all the way down to the bottom is a fair way. 🙂

wwaswas

what ever happened to walking an unknown bit of trail before razzing down it?

I think on ‘natural’ terrain peopel do – at a trail centre everyone assumes there won’t be any nasty surprises and that every tricky bit will be well flagged either by signage or a change in the trail layout approaching it.

It’s probably not the obstacle itself that’s the issue here, just when and how riders arrive at it.

chakaping
    Free Member

that photo doesn’t look like false teeth

There’s definitely some confusion here, False Teeth was redesigned and rebuilt last year and is now smoother with jumps and drop-offs, making it feel more like a 4x track.

It used to be more rocky and “natural” feeling.

We did it a couple of months ago and we were surprised at the potential to get quite a lot of air, but it didn’t feel unsafe really.

Maybe they could put those orange DH grading signs at the top of the section like they have at Brechfa?

duntstick
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=mMJTB_9Lan0#t=157s[/video]

Is this it at 2 mins in ? (Music’s crap, may want to turn it down, not mine)

glenh
    Free Member

It’s probably not the obstacle itself that’s the issue here, just when and how riders arrive at it.

Exactly.

Scamper
    Free Member

In terms of angle of steepness, how does that compare to the Black option drop at Llandegla on the Red trail?

monthebiffy
    Free Member

Here’s my mate trying it. I knew it would catch one of us out so got off my bike and took a video.
    Not a problem at all in my opinion. Great addition to the trail.

null

(Hope that works)

monthebiffy
    Free Member

It kind of works. Links to a facebook video, in full screen?

A swear word is used so maybe not open in the office with the volume on!

bammy
    Free Member

I am riding the beast tomorrow, not been for two years. Trails like this are why we drive over two hours to get to them, please leave it alone! Its graded black for a reason!

tracknicko
    Free Member

its never 4m either. 4m to flat is bike shatteringly high

stuboy2uk
    Free Member

The new False Teeth section is superb, accidents happen, don’t change it.

mightymarmite
    Free Member

Id say absolutely don’t change it.

Given the state I went down it, was still able to comfortably walk away. Bloke at the top is over six foot, in wave terms its at least double over head to the berm when youre stood at the bottom.

There is space to scrub off enough speed (however ungracefully … my mistake was landing with full death grip on the brakes) and theres a chicken’ish run to the left if you absolutely must put survival first.

To quote “its not tiddly winks chaps”

I would say given the amount of rocks on the runs that some form of padding is a must (currently sporting an impressive Olecranon Burstisis after not wearing the 661 subgear last weekend !)

Re walking the trail, unfortunately its far to narrow to safely do that, and the attainable speeds means theres little time / space to bale out of the way of oncoming riders, impossible if your hiking a bike up.

Thats the benefits to me at least of the trail centres, the pre walk is already done, and the gradings given so you can just get on with it and pack in as much riding as you can in the precious rare time we have.

We actually walked up the old trail that runs semi parallel so had some glimpses of what was to come

robhughes
    Free Member

No leave it alone…It,s great once you know it,s there 😀

hugor
    Free Member

Sounds to me like this guy didn’t give a CyB Black trail the respect it deserves.
    To go flying over a blind crest on a black run for the first time is foolish.
    He’ll have plenty of time to think about it over the next 3 months.
    I’m sure most of us have been there at some point. I certainly have.
    Good luck to him for a speedy and uncomplicated recovery.
    The trail should be left alone.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Guy airlifted from cyb today’ is closed to new replies.