• This topic has 30 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by xcgb.
Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Guitarists – newbie help please
  • xcgb
    Free Member

So if you were asked as a total novice to play one song (Bad Company) at an occasion in 4 months time in a band with 3 other talentless twumps, two of who can play ‘a bit’ do you think thats possible or a disaster waiting to happen!

I havent even got a guitar! (yet)

flip
    Free Member

It’s possible, if it’s only 3 or 4 chords, you’ll be fine….

Find out the song and go to http://www.ultimateguitar.com and look up the tab.

duntstick
    Free Member

Which song?

xcgb
    Free Member

Cant get enough of your love (thats the song I’m not getting over friendly!)

Cheers Flip good site

camo16
    Free Member

That song’s only got four chords, so if you’re strumming and not playing complex riffs etc it should be fine in four months.

Practice your strumming and shifting quickly between the chord shapes. No problem.

duntstick
    Free Member

looks quite easy 🙂

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI5BLN3LbDc[/video]

You gonna need to get a wiggle on if you’re going to get practice jamming time in…

xcgb
    Free Member

Ok I better get hold of an axe next!

plumber
    Free Member

10 minutes practice every day will certainly see you there with time to spare.

Coincidentally I learned the same song on Saturday in 5 minutes – but I’ve been playing for a while though 😀

xcgb
    Free Member

Plumber
    yes anything is easy when you can do it!

xcgb
    Free Member

Just found this site might be useful!

http://www.justinguitar.com/

emsz
    Free Member

Learn the chord shapes, practice the changes ( this is going to be the hard bit) until it’s second nature. Strumming pattern and use a metronome to keep your self in time.

If you’ve got half a musical head it should be doable

Good luck!!

rkk01
    Free Member

practice the changes ( this is going to be the hard bit)

I can definately agree on that 😥

xcgb
    Free Member

watch this space in 3months time for an “anyone know a guitar teacher” thread!

duntstick
    Free Member

Justin Guitar is great , try not to get to get too distracted though.

To play that live, you are going to to have had to work really hard on it over and over again by yourself, until you can play it without thinking about it, and then the same again with your mates.

You’ll need to rehearse it to avoid technical problems with mics, amps, speakers, instruments etc.

It’s not just learning the tune.

It’ll need honing if you’re going to stand up there with confidence, this is where the time factor comes into play

rkk01
    Free Member

Have any of the STW guitarists tried one of these:

Squier Classic Vibe Strats – In 50s or 60s flavour?

Interested in opinions…

Based on web hype, they seem like a good bit of kit for the money?

cheese@4p

Read “The Guitar Man” by Will Hodgkinson in which our hero learns to play to gig level in 6 months.
    Sorta

tony_m
    Free Member

rkk01 – Member
    Have any of the STW guitarists tried one of these:

Squier Classic Vibe Strats – In 50s or 60s flavour?

Interested in opinions…

Based on web hype, they seem like a good bit of kit for the money?

Not tried the guitars (two too many / too thin strings for me… 😉 ), but the CV basses are good bits of kit period, never mind “for the money”.

brassneck

Read “The Guitar Man” by Will Hodgkinson in which our hero learns to play to gig level in 6 months.
    Sorta

Anji is a fair bit harder than that Bad Company song too.

Easily doable, even from scratch – just pick up the guitar every day, even if it’s just 5 mins of noodling watching TV or waiting for the kettle to boil.

rkk01
    Free Member

never mind “for the money”

Hmm – that’s what I keep hearing…

Seen a 50s CV Strat in a droolworthy red, and a 60s in a three colour sunburst.
    Really shouldn’t, not right after Christmas – Both look loverly, but would be hard pressed to choose between them.

Perhaps the indecision will help me out

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve only played a CV bass but it was nice. I’ll have one (in vintage white with black pickguard) when I can eventually afford it!

kaesae
    Free Member

I’m about to learn how to play guitar once it arrives and I find an amp.

Bought a 1997 Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition, manufactured in Korea.

Hopefully it will stay in tune and not ber a piece of crap!

Anyone else got a Epiphone Les Paul, how does it play and sound, also what model?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m about to learn how to play guitar once it arrives and I find an amp.

Bought a 1997 Gibson Epiphone Les Paul Limited Edition, manufactured in Korea.

Hopefully it will stay in tune and not ber a piece of crap!

Anyone else got a Epiphone Les Paul, how does it play and sound, also what model?

Just bought a Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top for Xmas to ‘compliment’ my ’97 Epi SG Standard. My powers on both are limited, and I’m still getting used to the LP, but the LP is heavier with a lovely tone. I now appreciate how light the SG is in comparison, the practicle benefits of the double cut-away and it’s brighter sound. The body is so thin, I only just managed to fit an N-tune built-in tuner into the SG the other day……

rkk01
    Free Member

I picked up a cheap Epiphone Les Paul on ebay. It’s one of the cheaper starter type models, which is fine for me. Certainly heavy though.
    Very impressed with the tone, especially on the neck pick up – very rich sound.

oldgrump08
    Free Member

I’m a yearling newbie so know stuff all, but I was well impressed with the CV Strat and Tele when I was looking for a new guitar a few weeks ago. Tone was great and only the machine heads looked slightly low quality – even thing else looked, felt and sounded great. Hard to come by in left hand flavour at a decent price so I didn’t get one.

edlong
    Free Member

Had an Epiphone LP for about 12 years and for the last 8 of those it’s been my only guitar. I feel no urge to buy another.

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ve had an Epiphone LP Custom for years, it became my main/only guitar about 2-3 years in and 10 years later it’s still my favourite despite owning a Gibson SG and a nice Pearl LP Custom 🙂 It doesn’t even have the “proper” les paul woods (it has an alder cap rather than maple) but it still sounds great. Sustain is very good and it’s always that guitar I can rely on. The SG is nice but doesn’t nearly have the same kind of sustain and it sounds a bit weedier.

racefaceec90

xcgb go for it (as said already to begin with your fingers will have to get accustomed to playing the chords/changing chords).as said also,using a metronome is a good idea found a downloadable one here http://www.webmetronome.com/ (i must take my own advice and use one to practise with 😳 as for the squier cv strat,have never played one tbh,but i just bought a lovely squier 50’s cv telecaster (it is awesome 😀 mustang 1 amp to follow tomorrow 😉

rkk01
    Free Member

mrs rkk01 is digging her heels in regarding the 50s Cv strat 🙁

Like I said, too close to Christmas…

kaesae
    Free Member

You can get very nice quitars on ebay for about £150 to £200, however even if you have a lot less money there are thousands on the bay that would do the job.

My les Paul Limited Edition was £155 + £17 postage so £172, the guitar is a 1997 Korean manufactured model so should be quite good for the money in temrs of sound and build quality.

Having looked on ebay there are also loads of Tokai guitars, Korean Japanese and the newer chinese ones.

I would rather buy a good used guitar than a useless new one. My guitar arrives tomorrow but I still have to find an amp, think I’ll go for a marshall MD30dfx or a VOX valvetronix AD30VT.

Unless anyone can advise on a decent practice amp, better go work to do 😯

rkk01
    Free Member

Newbie guitarists update?

Quite pleased with progress so far (measured in weeks, rather than months 😳 )

Not sure that I could claim to play any “tunes” just yet – but it is a hell of a buzz when you start to get some bits together to sound recognisable 😀

Using a clutch of newbie chords now – with increasing accuracy and confidence
    mrs rkk01 has mention noise cancelling headphones – for her 🙁

xcgb
    Free Member

Yes fingers aren’t as sore now!

I have found justin guitar a great help, seem to be getting there slowly, sounds a bit more together now.

Rock star status not quite achieved to date

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Guitarists – newbie help please’ is closed to new replies.