Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Guitar – brushing up on self taught skills
  • dogbert
    Free Member

I never learned properly how to play guitar, just learned chords then some songs and kind of built on that.

I’m not a bad player but can’t play a solo to save my life and even little fills are a struggle, for example the little lead sections of Wish You Were Here.

So what basics should I be brushing up on? I know about Justin Guitar and his videos are pretty good, I also know I need to practice more than I do……any suggestions?

plumber
    Free Member

12 bar blues set to repeat, find relavant blues scale and wail away, thats get you started anyway

lodious
    Free Member

I’d suggest you get a decent teacher and start practicing…there is no subsitute IMHO.

emsz
    Free Member

scales and arpeggios is what your after. try learning some of the pentatonic scale patterns, that’s a good place to start (most rock solos are pretty much first pattern anyway!!)

have fun

Taylorplayer
    Free Member

The mention of “Wish You Were Here” and “a few chords” has me thinking that maybe you’re playing an acoustic. Have a look at Homespun Tapes, see if there’s anything in the beginner section that takes your fancy. The basic theory type lessons will show how (and why) the chords fit together.

Direct download is convenient – I’ve not had any issues using it.

http://www.homespuntapes.com/Instruments/Guitar

beicmynydd
    Free Member

Check out, Guitar noise superb beginner tabs and some theory thrown in.

Home

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Guitar – brushing up on self taught skills’ is closed to new replies.