Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • GT85… where to stick it.
  • marcusmtb
    Free Member

Prefer Tf2 myself. 😉

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Mmmmm my randomjeremy. That sounds like bollocks to me. I tried not luring my chain for a year, and broke about 4 chains. Haven’t broken one in about 5 years since I started lubing them.

Yes well you should lube your chain with something, that’s obvious surely. But wet, dry, wax , special concoctions that cost ten quid for a tiny bottle? A bit of GT85 or WD40 or what have you is more than enough 🙂

micky
    Free Member

On the Sheldon Brown website he mentions that there are folk who’s opinions he values who “preserve” chains rather than “lubricate” them. Some people think thick lubes attract dirt which then acts like a cutting paste accelerating wear. A spray with GT85 will stop rusting. I have tried both methods and find the chains last about the same either way. Shifting over long rides is not greatly effected. Preserving chains has the benefit of easy cleaning and not have black gloop over jockies, scrockets and chainrings.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Oooo.

Black gunk on your scrockets. Nasty. I’ve heard about that. I think you can get a cream for it these days.

andy1001
    Free Member

I find it attracts dirt which sticks to the frame or mech etc. Are there any less sticky lubes for the mechs?

Like what Micky said. I guess rust is as big a factor as having dirt in the chain!

For chains I like Rock N Roll Extreme, which works in very wet or dry dusty conditions – and keep my chain clean with no effort. I simply back peddle a few times after slapping it on then wipe excess. Finish line wet got my chain looking black after every ride, even though I wiped it down to remove excess! And wipe it down too much and it starts sweaking. So Rock N Roll Extreme for the chain for me! And not sure what works best for mechs…. GT85 seems too sticky for mud to me. Need something better.

I lost a bike due to GT85, I put a load down the BB area through the seatpost after I left the seat off while bike was on the car and it rained into it. This was a younger and less wise version of me and I thought it would get rid of the water. But it got rid of the greece instead 🙁 BB rusted in, impossible to get out!

andy1001
    Free Member

Honestly though the guy who said put in on your rotors to clean it should delete his comment? 🙄 there are plenty of novices here who could take that seriously and get injured and stuff… 😯

FuzzyWuzzy

I only use it after a wet ride or having cleaned the bike in order to get water out of the chain and around mechs, not as an actually chain lube.

jwmlee
    Free Member

Excellent for cleaning cables and cable housing (if you reuse them).

Also handy for polishing titanium frames – mud and dust just falls off. Keep it well clear of brake pads, rotors and tyres.

16stonepig
    Free Member

Aftershave

mavisto
    Free Member

If you don’t know where to stick it, you shouldn’t be sticking it anywhere cos you obviously don’t know what it’s for!

Instead of posting stupid comments, try reading what it’s actually for and the reason it was made.

GT85

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘GT85… where to stick it.’ is closed to new replies.