Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Grizedale map and riding in surrounding area help please
  • JimSu
    Free Member

I am told that riding the North Face trail only is like visiting a brothel for a kiss so can you advise me of a 4-5 hour circuit taking in some of the North Face and some of the best surrounding riding?

Also can I download a trail map as unusually the forrestry site does not seem to have one available.

Thanks
    Jim

BigJohn

There’s a load of stuff on the Bogtrotters website.

It is excellent riding around there, and I usually use bits of the NFT to traverse from one part to another.

Hakshead is a good place to start/finish. Climb up, do some NFT then branch off to Carron Crag. You can also go along to the Parkamoor/Nibthwaite descent which is a favourite and then turn left and get back up to the top.

You could spend a week there and not be bored.

crazy-legs

Also can I download a trail map as unusually the forrestry site does not seem to have one available.

That’s because Grizedale is stuffed with singletrack, BW’s, fireroads, FP’s and there’s way too many to mark on a map! I used to live in the Lakes and rode Grizedale regularly, we’d usually find a new trail on every visit there.

Bogtrotters website is worth a look for various Grizedale maps and routes.

grum
    Free Member

Here’s one – not sure if it’s the best route in terms of how well it all links up tbh but it has at least 3 very good descents in it.

Doing something involving Parkamoor is always a good shout too, cracking views – the descent from there back to Satterthwaite is very good, as well as the Nibthwaite one mentioned above.

JimSu
    Free Member

thanks I am being dense, can you confirm which way round your blue loup rides?

I was also asking for a map of the NFT but it looks like I will have to visit the shop.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Jimsu, if you give me your emai address will email the best bridleways and an NFT map.

grum
    Free Member

Clockwise 🙂

BigJohn

Remember there’s a discount for NF members.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

rtl – could I have a copy too if I drop you a mail? Staying for a week just outside Satterthwaite in 6 weeks time and apart from the NFT trail and one run down Parkamoor, have never done any riding in the area.

pdw
    Free Member

Here’s one – not sure if it’s the best route in terms of how well it all links up tbh but it has at least 3 very good descents in it.

I recognise that route 😀

GPX track here: http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/cycle-routes/gpx/20100406-grizedale-marathon.gpx

Scrolly map here: http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?lnk=http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/cycle-routes/gpx//20100406-grizedale-marathon.gpx.

It’s a combination of the NFT and the excellent route in the Gore/Statton Lake District mountain biking book. Works very well IMO, replaces some dull fire road climbs with NFT singletrack. 26 miles, so a good day out.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Daveyboy yep, email is in my profile.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Just seen this rtl, I’ll mail you later!
    Ta

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Grizedale map and riding in surrounding area help please’ is closed to new replies.