Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)
  • Great products that modern technology has made redundant
  • binners

That’s uncanny MF. Those are the two things i was thinking of.

I miss my Rotrings 🙁

zokes
    Free Member

Vinyl… That’s something that I think technology has replaced with something less good. Ok, MP3s and their players are smaller, lighter and can carry more music, but there’s something very personal about getting an EP or an LP out of its sleeve and giving it a go over with the velvet brush.

Listening to an LP on a turntable was almost like a story. You couldn’t really skip ahead to your favourite track and play that on repeat, you had to listen to the whole thing. One of my biggest regrets is selling my turntables. I still have the vinyl though.

Not replaced here, or generally it seems. Those in the know still use it, buy it, and fund more of it…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

John Bull printing sets.

DickBarton

Hite-Rite

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Friction shifting and thumbshifters.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I miss my Rotrings

I think I may have some knocking around somewhere. I DO have one of these sets still…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Blimey I used my Rotrings this weekend for first time in ages.

portlyone

CDs

avdave2

Tin openers will become redundant but everyone will still have one at the back of a draw for when the pull tab breaks.

binners

I think I’ve still got a full set at my mum and dads. I Might have to dig those out.

As well as these in a full range of weights

slowoldgit
    Free Member

“Tin openers will become redundant but everyone will still have one at the back of a draw for when the pull tab breaks.”

And for corned beef – open both ends – easy peasy.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

@binners – including one with blue lead, doesn’t print on photocopies?

molgrips
    Free Member

Sorry… there may be a few subjective instances where vinyl wins out but records were a pain in the arse. Prone to scratching, you had to handle them carefully, they wore out, players were fickle delicate things, and you didn’t have the option of shuffle all/repeat. You still CAN listen to a whole album on an mp3 player if you like, of course.

Helps if you take the rose coloured glasses off 🙂

Anyway – here’s my suggestion:

zokes
    Free Member

Helps if you take the rose coloured glasses off

Funnily enough, I use my ears to listen to music. That might be where you’re going wrong….

derekrides
    Free Member

Letraset are still going strong, drove by the factory the other day, fully expected to see it gone but it’s still there, I think the stuff still gets used for signs, office doors stuff like that.

I was thinking Outboards and bikes when thinking two stroke motor. Diesel Chainsaw now there’s a thought.

Palm Visor I do miss Gaydar..

Film

Floppy Discs

Newton

themightymowgli
    Free Member

We’ll all be redundant soon……. The end is nigh

emsz
    Free Member

Christ not heard of a lot of those!!
    How about a list of stuff I know about but have never used

Vinyl, yellow pages, minidisc ( really, whats that? ) i just had to look up what an a to z is LOL

Macgyver

Letra Set, stipple tone, letra Line and proper drawing pens. Fanylion and Binners, you have mentioned the tools of my trade when I first started as a draftsman. It’s like going back in time!

Bloody 0.13 pens never lasted long before they dried up and blocked though. Did like Mecanorma pens as well as the Steadtler Mars as they were easier to strip and clean.

joao3v16
    Free Member

Tin openers will become redundant but everyone will still have one at the back of a draw for when the pull tab breaks

Soooo, they’re not actually redundant then … (?)

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Also, still around but probably on their way out (just ask any Italian cruise captain)

molgrips
    Free Member

Don’t worry emsz, I never knew what an A to Z was until I went to uni. Funnily enough the day before I left my Dad was at the supermarket and saw a Cardiff A to Z on top of a pile of papers in a recycling bin. Result.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

I’ve still got an A-Z that i used for dispatch riding. tatty and falling to bits and i’ll probably never use it again but still tucked away someplace safe (so it’s always a nice nostalgia surprise when i find it again)

binners

Macgyver – my dad was a draftsman. So at the age of 4 omwards, I got used to drawing with whatever came to hand. Which in most cases was a Pentel pencil or a Rotring pen.

Its certainly not done me any harm 😀

Macgyver

t’was a lovely theraputic thing to do. Producing drawings with compound curves where the only hint of the transition from one curve to another was the way light reflected off an ink line on film and it couldn’t be seen at all when printed.

So says the man who’s typing this on one screen whilst the adjacent screen has CAD up and running. I kinda miss the old way. 😥

Course, there’s the default pen widths on plotters that all harks back to the colours used to demark drawing pen widths.
    Brown = 0.5mm
    Yellow = .035mm
    White = 0.25mm etc etc etc.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

UK manufacturing……(only joking, STW is in a calm after the storm period)? 😉

momo

I don’t own a sat-nav, but my A-to-Z never leaves my car, I like the fact that I can add things to it quite easily, There are c1500 sites that I may have to visit as part of my job, so being able to record where they are in a couple of seconds with a pen is quite handy.

I do have a sat-nav app on my iphone though, but think I’ve only used it twice in the past 2 years!

Mini disc, I was a big fan of them, still have my player and a few discs somewhere, but they just couldn’t compete once mp3 players came out.

I’m going to add CD-r and DVD-r to the list, usb thumb drives and network media players have really done away with the need for recordable media for me.

Macgyver

ooooh, still got my dividers and plotter for sailing navigation too.
    Think the father in law still has is sextant from his flying days!

vinnyeh

are these still in use?

gone but not forgotten…

therealhoops
    Free Member

+1 Suntour XC pro

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Vinny – is that Log Tables on papyrus?

If not – log tables (at least in book form)
    Brown paper covers for school books
    Tracing paper
    Izal medicated toilet paper
    Canes

(aaahhh, the sweet days of school!!)

compositepro
    Free Member

[/quote]And don’t forget the beauty that is…

The rotring pen is still at the very heart of one of the highest tech sports on the planet

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Ohh my god I think I have gone back in time!!!!

What about these babies?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

And don’t forget…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Posted twice oops

Macgyver

Letratone pens anyone – pens that would be consistant in colour whether you bought one last week or last year? Now I’ll show my age. Dyeline prints and vacuum flatbed printers, redline prints and print rooms that gently stunk of ammonia from the fixing process. Colour wash for colouring up large plans? Happy days!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Right then graphic designers – the next stop on Memory Lane…

JoB
    Free Member

i bought a new Rotring nib (0.3) yesterday 🙂

it’s always fun when asked by a new client what format they should expect the work on and i reply ‘paper’, there’s usually a long quizzical silence

i like to mix my old and new, tracing an image off a computer screen is one of my favourite wrongs

JoB
    Free Member

oooh, that reminds me, Grant Enlargers

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Quink ink

Macgyver

argggh I was liking this but work somehow blocks some images so no idea what Fanylion posted.

However, like all good poker players I’ll bluff and raise you a drafting machine. I still have some really nice scaled straight edges from one of those.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘Great products that modern technology has made redundant’ is closed to new replies.