Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Gravity Dropper woes – Adhesive advice needed.
  • Dekerf853

Folks, the control unit has come away from the seat tube on my GD seatpost.
    I bought it second-hand on here, and it looks like this has happened before, and it has been stuck back in place, but not very well.

Any advice on how I should stick it back?
    Araldite is all I can think of, but I’m sure a more ‘engineering’ solution is available?

Thanks as usual….

druidh
    Free Member

Aye – it’s only bonded on in the first place. I’ve seen pics of someone keeping it on with two hose clips.

FWIW – the same happened to mine – caused by my seatclamp not being tight enough and the whole unit slipping into the frame. When that happens, all the riders weight is trying to unbond it 🙂

rob-jackson
    Free Member

cable ties work well as do hose clips

Northwind

First of all speak to the Gravity Dropper people, they’re very helpful. But failing that, then araldite would be my choice, with very strong clamps or hose clips to retain it while it bonds.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Agree. Worth speaking to GD. IME they are very helpful.

simontee
    Free Member

JB Weld is about the best epoxy glue you can get – some model shops hold it in stock (Try TJD Models) , or you can order direct from the UK distributor. Next best is the long cure (24 hour) Araldite – the rapid version is much less strong. There are lots of other superb epoxies, but they are not generally available ‘over the counter’

Simon

Ambrose

Give Lodge Cycles in Neath a call and ask for Kev (ex Skyline Cycles). I believe he managed to fix one a few years ago and it is still going strong AFAIK.

http://www.lodgecycles.co.uk/

niloC
    Free Member

It’s happend to mine twice, first time I spoke to GD in USA and they asked for it to be returned and then fixed it, just had to pay postage, second time I did it with JB weld and 2 zip ties, no issues since I used JB weld, just be carefull not to glue the pin in!

Dekerf853

Thanks all, it sounds like there is a good chance it is fixable. I’ll try some JB Weld and hose clamps.

Cheers.

pictonroad

Mine’s holding fine with Araldite, first time round I glued the pin in and had to ‘undo’ my work with a lump hammer, from this experience I can confirm, Araldite holds it plenty strong enough.

Take it right down to its component parts and dont rush it, it’ll be fine. 🙂

Junkyard
    Free Member

just glue it though i left my zip ties in place for about 3 months before i bothered to repair properly

boblo
    Free Member

Yep epoxy and cable ties here. Mind the alignment when reassembling or the pin won’t engage/disengage freely.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I used zip-ties as a get-me-home bodge, then got in touch with GD in the states.
    Despite the fact I’d bought it second-hand and had no idea of age etc, I sent it back to them, 10 days later got it back, bonded with 4 counter-sunk screws to reinforce it. All I paid was postage to the states. Brilliant customer service.

Dekerf853

Folks, an update. As suggested above, I contacted GD in the US. They have repaired it free of charge, complete with 4 little screws, it arrived back today.

That’s what I call good service!

………Jim.

cheers_drive

The service from GD is amazing. I’ve sent mine back twice, out of warrenty.
    Once I paid for a service, once only the postage cost there, both times came back as new with loads of new parts.

If you want a quick repair I notice that Skyline cycles are offerig while you wait serving and repairs (and do postal service).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Gravity Dropper woes – Adhesive advice needed.’ is closed to new replies.