Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • GPS course plotting on Bikehike, Where's the path & riding the route.
  • reynard
    Free Member

I've just started doing a bit of this, and it seems to me that the best way to plot the course is probably on the satellite image, using the OS map window as a 'mapping' reference only.
    I think that thsi should give a better 'on the ground' fix, as the OS maps are intentionally distorted to enable good portrayal of features such as tracks and buildings etc. So I use the map to check the route, and plot the GPS stuff based on the satellite image which clearly (in most cases) shows the actual path / track / feature that I'm heading for next.

I've also noticed that, with the Etrex Vista HCx the map page is in essence so small as to be difficult to read when riding. The recommendation in mbr recently was to use the 'Highway' page, which has a more schematic style of representation of the track immediately ahead, much like the SatNav stuff that most of us use in cars on occasions.

The 'course bearing' pointer (compass page) seems too sensitive, and tends to point you into ditches or shrubs when in close proximity to a 'waypoint', so I guess that the 'Highway page' is the best solution in that respect.

Any advice from other users of similar products appreciated.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

satellite image is obviously pretty reliable until you hit trees or a forrest thats when the os map comes in handy…..

ive never had an issue riding somewhere new, and i almost always plot them on the above sites before i go and never got lost……

i find them a cracking piece of kit, considering Memory map is a fortune for pretty much the same thing….

uplink
    Free Member

The 'course bearing' pointer (compass page) seems too sensitive, and tends to point you into ditches or shrubs when in close proximity to a 'waypoint', so I guess that the 'Highway page' is the best solution in that respect.

You've got to use a bit of common though

if the pointer suddenly swings right, you head in that direction as the trail allows
    The pointer is fine, it give you general idea of which way you should be heading
    Same as the track line – just stay reasonably on it if it veers off too much try looking for a way back on to it

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘GPS course plotting on Bikehike, Where's the path & riding the route.’ is closed to new replies.