Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Gore ONE vs CASTELLI IDRO RAIN vs ?
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I have been impressed with the reviews of the Gore ONE and see that Castelli are using the same Gore Tex active fabric in their jacket. Given this has been around since last year does anyone know of other offerings that might be worth a look. Not really willing to spend the current £220 for the Gore ONE and I cannot currently find any deals.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

it’s the new carlos fandango wonder material and very few people are using it so I wouldn’t expect any real deals, but Sigma Sport and Merlin Cycles have 20% off the Idro and Castelli know how to make kit. Not used either but seen the ONE at the Rouleur Classic and chatted to the Gore guys and it is very impressive. It’ll be even better when they work out how to add colour to it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Bit of a thread resurrection, but this…

Gore-Tex ShakeDry shootout: Who makes the best waterproof cycling jacket?

Must admit I am quite tempted by the Idro.

jamiep
    Free Member

if you are a Small you can get the Gore one for £145 from Millets (I am and have)

onandon
    Free Member

Always wanted one of these but not in black. Hope they release another colour, silver or 3m reflective would be awesome.

mrblobby
    Free Member

🙂

TBH I don’t think the colour is that much of an issue for me. I’ve enough lights and reflective stuff on the bike not to need to look like a lollipop man when riding.

benp1

There is also the 7mesh oro

Be aware that there are two Gore jackets, the 1985 shakedry and the bike one, the cuts and details are slightly different

qtip

I went for the 7Mesh Oro over the Gore and Castelli options. I forget what swung it for me, they all get great reviews. Absolutely fantastic jacket for road riding, worth every penny.

boblo
    Free Member

I bought the 1985 and it’s definitely the best one to carry when you don’t need to wear it…

By that I mean, I’ve yet to find a waterproof that keeps me totally dry at high intensities including the 1985.

The 1985 is the lightest and most compact for carrying whilst maintaining the potential for breathability and windproofing. I still managed to get soaked through to the last £5 note whilst riding in 8 hrs of torrential rain. Nothing will keep you dry in that sort of weather.

eshoote
    Free Member

Just wrote a review of Gore One, I was pretty impressed and tried my best to rip it!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good review, nice site too.

DavidB
    Free Member

Absolute opposite experience. Mine ripped after a blackberry bush waved at it, first ride. Gore had no interest at all in even attempting to fix it. Do not take these jackets anywhere near foliage IMHO.

eshoote
    Free Member

Thanks mrblobby
    DavidB I would agree it’s certainly not for thorny bushes or any sharp objects, but with eagle talons and general daily usage while bike packing it survived unscathed better than I expected.

winterfold
    Free Member

Im after one of these – Castelli specifically say it is road only so I wont be taking it on the MTB.

The Castelli one has a way of accessing the back pockets on your jersey which the Gore does not, but the Gore packs into a zip pocket, which doesnt seem to be on the Castelli. BOTH of these features would be useful…

mrblobby
    Free Member

Well I’ve ordered the Castelli Idro. 206 quid at Wiggle with a code for 40 quid off a 200 spend bringing it down to an almost reasonable price (I think Sigmasport doing a similar price right now too.) Expect a short review in a couple of months 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Idro reduced to 156 quid in the Sigmasport sale.

akira

Gore ones reduced in many places as well.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

The gore one looks like it is built for someone with quite a substantial upper body compared to the Castelli cut??

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Gore ONE vs CASTELLI IDRO RAIN vs ?’ is closed to new replies.