Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • GoPro confusion :-S …. Talk to me
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

So I’ve been looking at getting a GoPro, don’t need anything super high end, just one that will produce clear skiing and biking footage without looking really blury and pixelated.
    Is there much difference between the 3 and the 2, and 1? Why does the black one cost so much more than the white one? 😕 , I know black looks a bit better but still, it doesn’t seem to make sense.
    Yes I could use google but really don’t have the patience or energy to read up all about them!

Cheers folks!

prawny

Numbers are generations, colours are models.

Go on the go pro website and stop being lazy.

😛

bigjim
    michaelmcc
    Free Member

Thanks but most of that comparison chart looks like a different language to me. Are they trying to be patronising to us normal folk? 😐

But is the 3 much better than the 2 etc?

tragically1969
    Free Member

But is the 3 much better than the 2 etc?

Yes, on paper it is much better, but you have already said you don’t need anything high end, so find a good deal on the 2, they are fine….

prawny

If Youre buying new you’ll probably struggle to find a 2.

but yeah, a bit, but the new 3 is a bit better than the old 3.

Seriouly, if you’re spunking £300 on a camera, do a bit of reading first.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Seriouly, if you’re spunking £300 on a camera, do a bit of reading first.

Thats what I’m hoping to do with this thread? 🙄

Find out peoples own views on them rather than a biased view.

mangatank
    Free Member

If you haven’t already sprung for a Gopro, there are some things to take into consideration.

Firstly, Gopro isn’t the only game in town. Sony have just released their update to the AS15, the AS30. It’s an incremental update, so no changes in megapixels or lens type, but the addition of GPS data might be interesting. It’s well reviewed anyway, and there are some fans on this forum. A solid buy.

The Gopro situation has become a little confused lately. The Black Plus has just been released, with Gopro boasting about a raft of incremental changes. Most of these changes are very welcome, but the claim that image sharpness has improved by 33% is misleading to say the least.

The Black has a lot of features that broadcast professionals want. In a sense it’s a pro-level camera. Even the automatic output settings are flatter and more muted than other makes. This is a design feature, as the clips tend to contain much more information allowing you to adjust the image later in professional software or Gopro’s own excellent and free editor. The focal length of the Black allows for objects in the foreground to be in good focus, while keeping the background nicely crisp.

The Black Plus has taken a different route. Colours are more intense and white balance favours deeper blacks. Foreground sharpness is very crisp, but this has been achieved at the expense of background sharpness. Running a clip taken on a Black and Black Plus side by side, the Black will have a generally crisper feel because it retains high level of sharpness throughout the scene.

The good news is that the Black is probably quite a bit cheaper now, and is arguably the better camera. I’d say it’s significantly better in fact.

The White Edition is basically a Gopro 2 with some enhancements. The Silver Plus is a scaled back version of the Black Plus, so will have the various improvements with the corresponding loss in overall image quality.

If you can get hold of a reduced price Black, you’ll have an absolutely superb camera that should last you for years. I suspect they’ll become much sought after as supplies run out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Mangatank you sound as though you really know your shizzle re the go pro. I’ve got loads of bit of footage now from our summer, which includes camping, festival, biking, surfing, swimming in the pool etc etc.
    Editing has to start soon as I’m running out of memory, is the go pro studio and my 4gb dual core lap top up to the job?

mangatank
    Free Member

Now you’re asking!

So long as you’ve got a reasonable chipset in there then you should be fine. GP Studio has a lot of default conversion settings that cover custom movie levels to low end YouTube outputs. The compression process will be where the pain (and the hardware strain)lies. Just be realistic about your hardware’s abilities.

Andy-W
    Free Member

I have a Hero2 and a Hero3 Black and got them for using on bikes, skiing but also use them when out walking in the Peaks

I cant see any quality change in the new Hero 3 but im no film making expert I just like to get shots when out riding or skiing, both do great video and good still photos….I use them for stills for than video

one thing I would say is that the high frame rate on the video may play back choppy when using the hero3 Black…if you don’t have a super fast pc you will not be able to play the video back on your old wind up computer

something to do with the big file size or codecs that GoPro use

I have put 8gb of ram in my laptop but its only a dual core so still need a better spec pc to get the best out of it I guess

Great bits of kit but don’t expext it to be like a point and shoot camera

Buy one and get some proper riding photos (and vids) and not just photos when your stood still eating cake

Andy

mangatank
    Free Member

Yep. They’re completely addictive!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘GoPro confusion :-S …. Talk to me’ is closed to new replies.