Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Google Earth – Just Wowzers!
  • eddiebaby
    Free Member

Popping down to Weymouth for a week on Thursday so fired up Google earth to measure a few new routes around Portland.
    For some reason I switched 3D buildings on and the whole of Portland and Weymouth is in 3D. It looks amazing and is obviously an ongoing thing. London is 3D as is Bournemouth but Oxford isn’t yet.
    This is a stunning piece of work and yet I don’t remember hearing anything about it…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xo2BLQ]Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 13.35.34[/url] by John Stanley, on Flickr

fasthaggis

Have you seen the new(ish)OS 3d mapping?
    link

Drac

Pretty cool stuff.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s been like that for Cardiff for a while. At first I thought people were hand-drawing famous landmarks but I think now it’s auto generated from multiple angle satellite pics, including trees. It’s impressive.

You can also turn on trees and buildings in the flightsim mode if you pause it, go to the view menu and bring up the sidebar (and then close it again after). Magic.

nedrapier

It’s flippin’ amazing. Try going to a container terminal or a chemical plant.

wilburt
    Free Member

You should try Google Earth with a virtual reality headset. #IamGod

footflaps

Even the STW sponsored workshop is in 3D…..

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Xo5UF5]Manshed[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

That is cool… this looks like a fun place eh?

nedrapier

Looks a bit wobbly, footflaps. I don’t rate your brickie!

bensales
    Free Member

The current Streetview cars also 3d scanners, so they use that information as well to generate the landscape and 3d images of buildings.

https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/09/new-google-street-view-cars-3d-scanners/

They were out re-scanning Birmingham a couple of weeks back.

footflaps

Looks a bit wobbly, footflaps. I don’t rate your brickie!

We don’t talk about that 😉

yetidave
    Free Member

for some reason I am really impressed that when you get down to ground level, you can see under bridges!

teasel
    Free Member

It’s been like that for Cardiff for a while.

Uh oh…

molgrips
    Free Member

You can land a plane on your street or in your local city centre, and taxi around the place.

teasel
    Free Member

That sounds like something a religious extremist would enjoy.

GrahamS

for some reason I am really impressed that when you get down to ground level, you can see under bridges!

Yep that’s clever. Even handled the see through parts of the bridge structures:

molgrips
    Free Member

That sounds like something a religious extremist would enjoy.

You can’t actually crash into buildings though.

teasel
    Free Member

Gah

GrahamS

To be fair, Apple Maps (on my iPhone) didn’t do too bad of a job either:

Not quite as clean but not bad.

jsm

it’s great stuff, think the imagery is bought from digital globe?

nedrapier
    Drac

It’s been like that for Cardiff for a while.

Careful. 😉

footflaps

it’s great stuff, think the imagery is bought from digital globe?

Amongst others, they seem to buy ever data set going, their ground height data is very impressive, often as good as Lidar data we get from our customers, so they’re buying a lot of data.

PJay
    Free Member

I didn’t realise until a few months ago that Pro version of the desktop client is now free to use (and has been for some time); it used to require a heft subscription.

I think that the whole Google Earth thing is now being re-done to work in web browsers.

GrahamS

I think that the whole Google Earth thing is now being re-done to work in web browsers.

Indeed, https://earth.google.com as ned linked to above.

But for that picture of Newcastle above I didn’t even bother with the Google Earth site, I just went Google Maps and hit the 3D button on the “Satellite” view.

Then you can just hold Control and drag the mouse about to adjust the view.

footflaps

I didn’t realise until a few months ago that Pro version of the desktop client is now free to use (and has been for some time); it used to require a heft subscription.

IIRC it didn’t offer that much more over the standard version, Viewsheds and the ability to bulk geo-locate address lists etc

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Yeah, it’s good and all that, but PAC man on Google maps was better 😀

CountZero

You can land a plane on your street or in your local city centre, and taxi around the place.

Careful, someone may try to take your suggestion literally…
    http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2017/09/12/plane-crash-landing-connecticut-sje-lon-orig.cnn
    (Easier to paste the original link than to link to the thread).

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Google Earth – Just Wowzers!’ is closed to new replies.