Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Good Singletrack around San Fransisco
  • swingbing
    Free Member

Lucky enough to be heading off to San Fransisco and then New York over easter.

Anyone recommend me some great singletrack riding in the San Fransisco area?

Need somewhere with (decent) bike hire…

gee
    Free Member

Maybe look on Strava or Garmin Connect for routes?

GB

phil56

I’ve used Rob at StokedSF a couple of times for bike hire and guiding round Marin – he’s a great guy.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Pop into Sunshine Bike Shop in Fairfax or Black Mountain Cycles in Point Reyes Station, they’ll help you out with some routes. There is some great trail riding between the two shops.

http://blackmountaincycles.blogspot.com/

http://www.sunshinebicycle.com/new/

Sancho
    Free Member

There isnt any in San Francisco, you will have to head up to the headlands, north of the Golden Gate Bridge, and then its mainly fire roads,
    If you head up Mount Tam there is a lot of good riding, but not singletrack like we ride in the woods, but there are some good footpaths and its fun riding trails that bikes have been named after.

cynic-al
    Free Member

AFAIK you can’t ride singletrack in Marin, and it used to be aggressively enforced with spot fines.

Still great riding. Check out Tenderfoot and Bolinas Ridge.

swingbing
    Free Member

I’m busy checking out all these suggestions.
    Do ‘trail centres’ exist in the U.S?
    I’m only going to be able to take a day to go biking, so something along the lines of a UK trail centre would be ideal, just rock up, hire bike and off you go, no route planning etc.

StokedSF looks like they’d be great, but can’t afford it unfortunately.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Google Tamarancho Boy Scouts Fairfax & Skeggs El Corte de Madera. There’s some excellent riding within an hour of the city. Try the MTBR Norcal forum for a heads-up on current trail conditions. When your in Fairfax look up the Gestalt Haus, it’s a super bike friendly bar run by a friend.

Coasting
    Free Member

Theres actually a trail system of singletrack networked thru all the parks around the city that can provide great riding and also a great way of getting around and seeing the place.San Fran’s very bike friendly so theres no worry biking anywhere in the city.U can always bikee across the bridge staight into the headlands of Marin.Heres a link to a great bike shop that do a range of very good hire bikes http://www.roaringmousecycles.com/

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Boy Scout is a awesome trail.

As for bikes, speak to Chris the English owner of Roaringmousecycles !
    Best man at my wedding later this year.

swingbing
    Free Member

All went well 😀

kayak23

Your golden gate bridge could use a lick of paint… 😉

Looks fantastic, lucky beggar. Where did you end up riding (apart from the obvious)

RepackRider
    Free Member

2retro4u
    Marin County, Cali

Should have let me know you were here. I know all the trails.

swingbing
    Free Member

I hired the bike in the end from one of the touristy bike shops. They had some unbelievably nice bikes. Took this Trek as quite fancied trying a 29er anyway.

Rode through the city, over the bridge then took a left and sprinted up the road to the place where I took the photo, over taking 3 lycra clad roadies on full carbon bikes on the way 😀 Then just went and rode all over the Marin headlands. It was a scorching hot day and I took in the wolf ridge trail which made me smile! In all I covered around 40 miles on a mix of road and trail.

The trails I found were nothing like trails in the uk, much more open with just a few tighter features here and there. But the epic views over San Fransisco more than made up for that!

All in all it was a day I’ll always remember 😀

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Good Singletrack around San Fransisco’ is closed to new replies.