• This topic has 17 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by anc.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Good replacement brake pads for Dura Ace ?
  • sputnik
    Free Member

My road bike’s brake pads are wearing thin and I am about to order some. My choices seem to be Shimano at about £8 a pair, Clarks for about £4 or SwisStop for about £20.
    Should I pay the extra money for the SwisStops as they are that good and is there any other choices I should consider?
    I’m running Dura Ace 7800 gruppo.

MSP

I think the swiss stop are worth it, and its not like road pads actually need changing that often.

scaredypants

I’m running Dura Ace 7800 gruppo.

Then, yes, swisstop – you’re either racing or wealthy and “everyone” says they’re very good

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some swiss stop at a bargain price of £24.99 😯

But Dura-ace pads are £18 for full set so £6 for better stopping power when it could potentially be your like on the line is much in the scheme of things.

This is all hypothetical at the moment as I’ve not fitted them, but in theory…

sputnik
    Free Member

Scaredypants, I’m not racing or rich ! Just got lucky a couple of years ago … bought a bike from a pro Belgian rider for not a lot of money, and it was decked out with full DA gruppo. Was his training bike, all sponsored so the money did not really matter to him I guess. Owner of my LBS reckoned the wheels alone was about the money I paid for the whole bike 8)

Eyerideit, was that £24 for front and back? If so, where from?

eyerideit
    Free Member

Yes it was 2 pairs so a full set (4 blocks) I bought mine from Cycle Surgery in Spittlefields. They’ll fit into your DA cartridges and come with screws.

But CRC have them for 22.99 I got the GHP greens.

CRC voucher £10 off if you spend more than £50 TK10

eyerideit
    Free Member

…be your like…

Meant life 😳

sputnik
    Free Member

I trawled the net a bit and Sheldon Brown (RIP) recommends Kools Stop Salmon pads. Now this looks like a good price for quality made in the good old US of A. £18 front and back sounds good in my books. Anyone on here use/used them and Salmon over the black ones?

anc
    Free Member

Koolstop Dura salmons or dual compound are as good as swisstop probably better in the wet for a bit less wonga. They’re also kinda to your rims compared to shimano.

Edit: Beat me to it 😳

Yes used lots, live in the lakes and do a lot of riding the passes etc often in the wet(being the lakes) and they’re excellent.

P.S the Dual compound ones came from rosebikes as part of a bigger order, haven’t seen them listed in the uk.

anc
    Free Member

Dual compound versions for best of both worlds.

zangolin
    Free Member

+2 for Kool Stop Salmon
    Don’t bother with the dual compound – salmon is the one to go for.
    Been using them for over 8 years on all my road bikes – Campag + Shimano brakes. Salmon will not last as long but brilliant braking – esp in the wet – lots of road races + crits.
    Won’t grind your rims away either.
    Wiggle, UK Bikestore, etc sell them.

rootes1

I’ve just bought some swiss stop at a bargain price of £24.99

But Dura-ace pads are £18 for full set so £6 for better stopping power when it could potentially be your like on the line is much in the scheme of things.

The swisstops will last twice as long in my experience of the two and work better.

LS
    Free Member

Koolstop Salmons are my choice for replacements on the winter bike but there’s not a lot wrong with the original 7800 pads. As OEM pads go they’re brilliant.

scaredypants

I’m not racing or rich !

wasn’t having a go, honest guv !

Mind, I live in the new forest – pretty flat, no real descents. Can’t say pad choice makes any diff to me, I hardly touch the brakes on average rides

eyerideit
    Free Member

The KS salmon/black were my original choice but they weren’t in stock.

Once I get through the Swiss stops I’ll try the KS.

anc
    Free Member

As OEM pads go they’re brilliant.

Shimano pads rip shards of alloy off the rim which embed in the pad and wear the rim quickly. Won’t let them anywhere near my wheels.

LS
    Free Member

In your experience, perhaps. I’ve been using 7800 since it came out in 2003(ish), standard pads in summer and KS Salmons in winter and I’ve had no difference in rim wear over any of my other brakes.

anc
    Free Member

Google it its a known issue. think its made worse by the heavy braking you get in the hills round erh .

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Good replacement brake pads for Dura Ace ?’ is closed to new replies.