Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Good cyclocross routes in the Peak?
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

It seemed like a good idea… follow 'Cy's Train-ing ride' in the Peak, as featured in this month's ST. As it happens, I've only got a 'cross bike to ride for the moment, you see.

So after riding out to Hope from Sheffield centre and riding up hill and down dale, it eventually occured to me, as dusk was falling and peices of my kidney were possibly being sheared off as they collided with my ribcage – an effect of the almost constant altercations with rock-shaped babies' heads happily lining every trail, that perhaps insisting on following such a full-on route on a 'cross bike wasn't really such a good idea afterall… I mean, the climb out of Hope had been fun, but the rest? Hmmm..

Are there any routes more rewarding than this in the Peak – suitable for such a commited steed?

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

…evidently, there aren't 🙁

oldgit
    Free Member

I can't really comment what wif being a southerner and all that but. What about heading more towards Bradwell?
    I've done a few CX loops with a local in the High Peak, but I see what looks like good CX country on my way there in the car. I think anything after Stoney Middleton looks good, not stuff I'd choose to do on the MTB for a weekend but would be ideal for a crosser.
    ?

richpips
    Free Member

I've ridden most stuff round the dark peak on a cross bike. Hadn't thought of putting a route together avoiding the big rocks, though something must be possible.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

bradwell/tideswell/bakewell area is more suited to CX than the hope area imo

singletracksurfer

*waits for someone to remember where the link is to a video of a guy (who frequents this site) going down 'The Beast' on a CX bike*

vinnyeh

Used to ride Totley Moor/Blacka Moor/Houndkirk Rd on the cross bike for a quick fix when I lived up that way.

antigee

problem with question is what is good fun for some is way boring/too rocky and all the spectrum in between for others
    isn't there a vertical brain guide to the peak aimed more at off road rather than mtb? can't remember what its called

heres a suggestion but many would shout boring i'm sure

from heatherdene round the derwent valley, then across ladybower damn or up A57 and round other side of ladybower and down the old railway trail towards thornhill through shatton and up past mast on shatton moor and down brough lane back towards shatton on townfield lane and back up the old railway line back to ladybower

antigee
    singletracksurfer

phew thank you antigee

dot
    Free Member

Done the 'The Buxton loop' from Whalley bridge a couple of times of my CX bike – ace scenery and won't rattle (all) your teeth out.

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Cheers! Thanks for the tips – will do!

[edit] Just watched The Beast video – that descent is on Cy's route I described, no? If so… I think I managed to get about as far as he does by about a minute or so into the route, before deciding that I really valued my brand new 105 rear mech and genitalia* too much. It would be great on an MTB though! [edit]

* Not Shimano 105 genitalia, only Dura Ace will do in that department.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

good? I though the whole idea was supposed to be about suffering and being well ard ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Good cyclocross routes in the Peak?’ is closed to new replies.