Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Going from 800mm forks to 100mm, worth £300?
  • alfagtv1969
    Free Member

I've had Fox rlt80 80mm forks for around 5 years, struggled a bit on some of the trail centres technical downhill sections but overall OK as I am mostly a XC rider. But I have a new frame arriving and the geometry is more suited to 100mm forks, but would it make a big difference to buy a 100m fork like a rock shox team sid, or should I use the old forks and keep the money?

All contributions welcome!

geetee1972
    Free Member

What is the new frame?

alfagtv1969
    Free Member

Its a Pipedream 853 hardtail!

wwaswas

Going from 800mm forks…

geetee1972
    Free Member

Very nice – not seen these before but just checked out their website.

If you were only going to consider a 100mm fixed travel fork then the justification for a new fork would be minimal. Damping technology has got better recently so you would certainly feel the benefit from a that perspective. Simlarly, if you ended up with a 15mm or 20mm axle you might well feel that benefit, although for light trail riding it might not be entirely justified.

However it looks as thought the Sirus, (this is the frame you've ordered righ?) can take anything from a 90mm to a 130mm fork. On that basis, it would be worth buying a fork that can be adjusted between these ranges, which would then give you the choice of how the bike handles/performs. Run them at 100mm for general all round use, then up them to 120mm for Welsh trail centres.

The new Fox 32 Talas or maybe the RS Revelation/Reba would be good choices as you can adjust the travel on these.

What colour did you end up ordering then?

james
    Free Member

Is it possible to make the f80s into f100s? I know some fox forks you can (by removing an internal spacer), not sure which though

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I use 85-130 Coil Revs on an 18" Sirius. Never gone below 100mm. Usually run 115mm for most of my riding but wind up to 130mm for long downs.

Very comfortable bikes. Very capable.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I recently converted my 85mm travel Rebas to 100mm by removing one of the internal spacers.I was sceptical that I would notice any difference,but my bike felt noticeably more confidence inspiring on the downhill sections without sacrifing too much of its quick steering.

As said above might not be worth spending £400-500 in isolation but might be worth it if you can benefit from improved damping at the same time or if your current forks are past their best.

wwaswas

you can't space fox forks up to a higher travel, only down to a lower one – the stanchions are shorter on the 80's.

JoeBones
    Free Member

LOL

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Going from 800mm forks to 100mm, worth £300?’ is closed to new replies.