Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Glueing grips on to carbon bars? :o
  • mrplow
    Free Member

I currently run easton cf bars. My favourite grips are rubber specialized enduro grips. I have had a few sets but they always end up spinning as I hold and twist far too hard.

Have done the usual of mega cleaning bars and leaving to dry out, drying out inside of bars for moisture and then putting the grips on with some extra firm hairspray. At some point not long after the grips will start turning again. It seems to be worse on cf bars??

I have read about people glueing on renthals etc and wondered if there was a suitable glue to work with rubber grips and cf bars where there won’t be damage when I finally go to take them off. I just can’t see glue and cf being an ace idea…?

I am currently running bolt ons out of frustration which I quite like but there is still a bit more shock coming through them that I don’t like and I don’t want massive chunky grips.

Help! :mrgreen:

turboferret

I recently used a little bit of vulcanising solution from a puncture repair kit to stop my grips moving. Has done the trick and my bars have yet to dissolve and break in a horrible manner 🙂

Cheers, Rich

mtbfix

+1 for vulcanising solution

pitduck
    Free Member

Renthals grip glue 🙂

binners

You don’t need glue. Hairspray does it. A bloody good spray acts as a lube when you’re putting the grips on, goes tacky and sticky when it (quickly) dries. Sorted! 😀

mrplow
    Free Member

Hairspray has worked for me in the past and the grips are solid to start with. After a few weeks with wet weather, bike washing etc they start to spin again. Always worked with alloy bars but seems to get slippy fast on the carbon bars. This includes buying new grips as I thought I may have streched the old ones.

I hate how fussy I am to grips etc 🙁

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

I’ve always used Niceday spray mount. It’s extremely sticky, but it’ll come off with disk brake cleaner. It’s a bit of a job getting the first bit loose though!
    If you want to do the job properly, get a couple of turns of tie wire on each end.

zilog6128

used window cleaner with my ESI grips. worked a treat (on Easton carbon bars).

mrplow
    Free Member

I think wiring them may be the ticket. I had used thin cable ties in the past but these cause a lot more interference than a careful wire job.

Thank you for the ideas people

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Glueing grips on to carbon bars? :o’ is closed to new replies.