Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Glentress Hotel / Trails and Peel Centre
  • Artillerydave
    Free Member

Our club the Woollybacks, were up at Glentress last week with 43 of us staying at the Glentress Hotel, we’ve stayed here 6 years on the trot and everytime get cracking service and food from Olly and the crew.

We also were very impressed with the new Glentress Peel Centre with an ace new cafe and very helpful Alpine bikes, who managed to sort out a few “emergencies” for us with minimal fuss, including me getting a free replacement used saddle as the chap refused to take any money for it!

Innerleithan on Friday, Glentress Black on Saturday, and Glentress Red and Blue on Sunday made for some great riding and much fun.

Once again big thanks and high recommendations for the Glentress set up as a whole, very good MTB centre, lastly loads of respect to the trail builders and volunteer organisations that have a hand in the trails development, it really is a world class set up. (Blue run in is my fave!)

tomuk30
    Free Member

my bike was totalled near the end of the black,the next day I borrowed olly’s own bike (the owner)result thats the service you can expect great value and location cant wait to return next year

Garry_Lager

43 of ye? Roll deep.

Nice to hear such a positive post.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

Unusually for an Edinburgh lad, I stayed at the Glentress Hotel on my LEJOG this summer – along with 25 others. As you say, the staff could not have been more polite and helpful.

Bregante

Not been yet this year but Olly does a mean breakfast, for sure

BoardinBob

Really liking the new Peel centre. Coffee and cake is excellent.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Shame I couldn’t make it this club trip

busyfool
    Free Member

Top weekend away.

Olly’s breakfast was only surpassed by his evening meal.

The hotel is right on the doorstep of the trail, superb location, food and staff!

If you’re going Glentress or Innerleithan then stay at The Glentress Hotel – 43 of us can’t be wrong.

el_diablo
    Free Member

The waitress ain’t bad either!

rOcKeTdOg

Have they got decent ale yet, that bellhaven stuff is awful, that was the only downer last year for me

magiclinemtb
    Free Member

Yeah – i’ll go with that, they’re a good bunch there. Even let me take my pint to bed, meanting it got full thumbs up.

BoardinBob

There really are some pig headed folk out there…

I’ve been using the Peel centre cafe since it opened and it’s very nice. Good food, nice and warm, decent prices and good service. Probably been in about half a dozen times since it opened. Every time I’ve been however, it’s absolutely deserted.

I was down yesterday and as it was the last day of the hub bike shop I took a wander over. I noticed the hub cafe was absolutely rammed. Took a poke around the shop and then decided to use the bike wash next to it.

As I’m positioning the bike in the washer a guy appeared behind me waiting to wash his.

“Last time ever” he said

“Err…yes” I replied, “There’s a bike wash over at the new car park though”

“Hmmph” was his reply, “Who’s got the shop over there?”

“Alpine”

“Hmmph. Well I’ll never use Alpine Bikes again. Absolute disgrace”

Are people still boycotting the new cafe and shop out of some pig headed beligerence? The new cafe is much better than the hub and the shop is far better stocked too. What happens when the hub closes completely? Will these people continue to boycott the peel?

nmdbase
    Free Member

They should think themselves lucky to have something like Glentress IMO

SBrock
    Free Member

I went up there a few weeks, and I must say the Peel Cafe & Alpine bikes were both pretty impressive, I’m sorry that the old hub/cafe owners didn’t win the tender, but obviously there offer was not suitable, as it’s not just about bikers, they seem to be trying to attract families for the the walks etc. in actual fact on the Sunday there were a lot of families there enjoying themselves and why not? Isn’t foresty commission land for everyone to enjoy? Like a previous poster said we are damn lucky to have something like Glentress.

RustyMac

Some peope still feel the girls at the hub have been hard done by with the new Forresty Commision development. Alot of people thought that as the girls had been there for so long and helped make glentress what it is they would automatically get to run the new development. Unfortuneately the Foresty Commision rejected there bid and this has been a bitter pill to swallow for some.

At the end of the day everyone has the right to there own oppinion and other people will have had different experiances of the Hub to thoes you may have had.

In my oppinion the thing that took me back to the hub time and time again was the flap jack and the atmosphere. I hope with mountain bikers being mountain bikers the chilled out happy atmosphere will continue over at the new centre, i will miss the flap jack though.

I haven’t used the shop or rental bikes so can’t comment on them.

BoardinBob

The new place has an amazing selection of cakes.

RustyMac

BoardinBob – Member
    The new place has an amazing selection of cakes.

Good to know, i will look forward to sampling some the next time i am down at glentress.

Trekster

helped make glentress what it is

In what way?
    Without FC there would be no Hub. The racing careers of Tracy & Emma had come to an end and they were in the right place at the right time to take advantage of the 7Stanes phenomenon. Pete Laing did lots more for GT probably more than anyone else and never gets a mention.
    Business is business these days and anyone who works in contracting/leasing knows how hard it is. The ladies new this was coming for some time and should have been better prepared.
    I don`t think their “fan club/friends” did them any favours mouthing off/venting their frustrations before the tendering procedure had even began.

Wishing Tracy & Emma good luck in whatever they do next. Plenty of other people running businesses on the back of 7Stanes. Having been a customer from the beginning but not visiting GT as often nowadays I will miss it but times move on.

May be out of a job myself next year if(when)we are sold off to another foreign company.

BoardinBob

The girls are supposed to be opening a cafe at Hillend according to the rumour mill.

Uplift at Hillend…….

rickmeister

Bob, I think that is the thin end of rumour control…

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Glentress Hotel / Trails and Peel Centre’ is closed to new replies.