Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Glasses fogging up – how to prevent?
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Been riding today in the Shropshire monsoon and my glasses were fogging up while climbing. What’s the best way to stop them fogging?

thehustler
    Free Member

Hydrophobic coating, not really available after market though, only other way is ride faster

theotherjonv

washing up liquid, tiny drop neat, then buffed up with a soft cloth. Only works temporarily though, because when the weather’s this shite in no time you have a coating of wet mud and when you wipe that off, the fairy comes with it.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I remember reading somewhere about rubbing candle wax onto the inside of the lense and then polishing it.

Can’t remember where but it was on some adidas glasses

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bob heath visor spray works. Others are available

foget the washing up liquid / potato / other old wives tales. Jest spend a couple of quid on the right stuff

TooTall
    Free Member

Find a pair that don’t do that!
    Sounds glib but different shapes of frames and lenses work differently on your face. I’ve got some sunnies that are fine for walking around but need others for riding that vent a bit better.

cakefest
    Free Member

Thanks. Suppose there are two problems really. Fogging on the inside, rain collecting on the outside. What about something like RainX on the outside to help the rain runoff? Or a peak on the helmet or cycling cap under helmet to stop rain hitting the glasses?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Rain x on the outside, bob heath visor spray on the inside really does work – not 100% but not far off

theotherjonv

where does one acquire these magic potions? Would a decent sized motorbike shop have them (cos there’s one down the road from me) rather than have to internet them?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Bob heath is probably in a motorcycle shop. rain x any car shop

richen987
    Free Member

I use Cressi Antifog, or any other divers /swimming mask antifog stuff, spray on then rinse off and buff, no probs, been using it on my Oakley splits and works for me, used to get my glasses steaming up a lot, especially in winter, now happens very rarely.
    I buy from Amazon its about £5 inc p&p.

crikey
    Free Member
    richen987
    Free Member

£17! nice of them to give you free p&p tho 😉

crikey
    Free Member

I’m as sceptical as you about Oakley and their pricing, but the NanoClear stuff works very well.

I’ve always had cycling glasses, but they usually ended up stuck in my helmet or on top of my head simply because they would get sweated on from inside or rained on from outside and become difficult to see through.

I used some of that stuff and was properly amazed; it just does what it should do; a shake of your head when riding in heavy rain and the lenses are clear, a drop of sweat inside and it just rolls off.

Dear certainly, but it works very well.

reedspeed
    Free Member

Stay in the warm n dry!

Northwind

Nikwax Visorproof for me- much more permanent than washing up liquid. Bob Heath is good too.

Wally

3rd thumbs up to Bob Heath’s spray. It really does work. My 4 lens layers never misted up during today downpour- myopic boy. Candle wax also works – but harder to do. Washing up liquid smeared and then left to dry and buffed is also quite good. But the red Bob Heath’s spray lasts ages.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

I’ve just ordered 3 pairs of glasses all with Optifog my everyday varifocals my Maui Jim sunglasses and some SH+ cycling glasses, so no more steamy windows 😀

cheers_drive

Since I’ve starting using a Sweat Gutr my glasses haven’t steamed up. I tried some Muc off stuff before with no success.

transapp
    Free Member

Speedo anti fog works well on glasses (let’s face it, it’s designed to wok in pretty wet and humid environments!) about a fiver from a sports shop. RainXis a very good idea for the outside of the lens though

cakefest
    Free Member
    mintimperial

I bought some of this antifog swimming goggle stuff cos I was buying something else off Wiggle at the time and needed to bump up the basket to get money off, but it’s actually really good. Have to spray it on regularly, but it’s kept my prescription riding specs fog free all winter and there’s plenty left.

cossyrush
    Free Member

I bought some perscription Oakley split jackets, they fogged up really badly especially on night rides, which basically meant I couldn’t see anything with them on or off.
    So I got some fog buster wipes which totally cured the problem. When I used these up I got the same stuff in a spray bottle, which is better.
    I do apply some before everyride, but the glasses never fog, even when I’m blowing like a good one on long climbs.

Ben

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

Don’t go near Rain-X. I used it on a visor and it damaged the anti scratch coating – I had to replace it within two months. It may work on glass windsceens but the glass coating (3 microns thick) on a plastic visor can’t cope. This was widely coverd in the motorcycle press many years ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Glasses fogging up – how to prevent?’ is closed to new replies.